History: Brasspounding on Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
History, fortunately not lost to the paper shredders and recycling, thanks to archive.org.

Charles Clemens, K6QD, writes of his experience as the first CW operator at the White House. In 1942 he was reassigned from WAR to travel aboard the Presidential train Old 1401 carrying Presidents Roosevelt and Truman traveling across country. I found it an interesting piece with details of the equipment and antenna used to communicate with the White House.

July 1977 Ham Radio Horizons, page 39.

https://archive.org/details/HamRadioHorizons-July1977

The website has virtually all of 73 (1960-2003) and the unfortunately short-lived Ham Radio Horizons.

K4EET

Chaplain
I remember Ham Radio Horizons. I was a Novice licensee in 1974. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have to take a look at Brasspounding on Wheels.

73, Dave K4EET

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
My apologies, but today being a major day to vote, the vice president from 1941 to 1945 was Henry Wallace. Harry Truman became vice president on January 20, 1945 and was just 82 days into his vice presidency when FDR died suddenly.

When Truman reached the White House upon receiving the news of FDR's death, He met Eleanor Roosevelt and asked her what he could do for her. She replied "What can we do for you? You are the one in trouble, now!"

Ahh, history...

That is a neat tale..... :)
Radio history is so fascinating, No ?
Thanks for posting it Tom.... :)
(I had trouble pulling myself away from flipping thru the rest of the magazine- I can sense I will be returning to this site to read many of the other articles and issues as well.)
And Sooo appropriate for today--
"............... FDR died suddenly.......

"When Truman reached the White House upon receiving the news of FDR's death, He met Eleanor Roosevelt and asked her what he could do for her. She replied "What can we do for you? You are the one in trouble, now !"

Luv'd It ! :)
Lauri :)

w2xq

Mentor
This guy might predate Clemens as Wallace was licensed in 1912 and was famous for his mobile stations. W6AM was most famous for his 24 acre rombic ranch on top of Palos Verdes hill near Los Angeles, now some of the most valuable property.
With all due respect to W6AM's accomplishments, I don't if he was assigned to the Presidential train. I found Clemens'account fascinating, and something I didn't remember reading when I was writing for HRH -- w2xq.com Bibliography -- back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.