HIWAS Coms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

The YYZ VOR at Toronto, Canada broadcast the CYYZ primary ATIS sequence for decades on the VOR audio/ident carrier in parallel with the standard VHF voice band frequency. With the advent of D-ATIS via ACARS the VOR connection was discontinued (it must be by now) at least 20 years ago. The VHF stand-alone frequency of course remains active to this day.

drider

I'd give these a listen once in a while while airborne, but the usefulness of HIWAS has definitely been superseded by the FAA's FIS-B, as well as XM Weather. I've never found an airport with its ATIS simulcast over a VOR, but I've read about it.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I'd give these a listen once in a while while airborne, but the usefulness of HIWAS has definitely been superseded by the FAA's FIS-B, as well as XM Weather. I've never found an airport with its ATIS simulcast over a VOR, but I've read about it.
Up until about 3 - 4 years ago Atlantic City had it's ATIS on the ACY VOR, 108.6 MHz. They tower had continuing reports of poor coverage so a new ATIS only frequency was engineered and commissioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.