hmmm, no updates on the sentinel db on mon apr-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasma25

Urgent? No,
However, it has happened more in the last 6 months than in all the previous years put together, therefore, something has changed that is causing this issue. Not urgent at the time, but why wait until it becomes urgent? I don't think that there are many of us who want to manually update any changes for this scanner or any of the latest ones that are out there.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Urgent? No,
However, it has happened more in the last 6 months than in all the previous years put together, therefore, something has changed that is causing this issue. Not urgent at the time, but why wait until it becomes urgent? I don't think that there are many of us who want to manually update any changes for this scanner or any of the latest ones that are out there.

I look at it this way... For home use for ME, nothing has changed locally (that I listen to) in well over a year. Your mileage may vary.

For mobile use, my old 396T was programed 4 or 5 years ago, by me (via ARC396PRO) for the states I usually travel thru and the last time I traveled through those states, I heard what I wanted to hear. So once again, no biggie... for ME. Again, your mileage may vary.

I guess we all better hope Uniden America doesn't fold up shop... Same with Radio Reference... The world will end for some, not so much for others.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that there are many of us who want to manually update any changes for this scanner or any of the latest ones that are out there.

Why is that, I do it all the time. Open up Sentinel, create a favorites list, system...site(s), department..radio ID's. when you see something that you have programmed has changed, edit accordingly. My database is 2 years old in Sentinel..never sweat out "no update issues", just check the database every so often and it's done.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Why is that, I do it all the time. Open up Sentinel, create a favorites list, system...site(s), department..radio ID's. when you see something that you have programmed has changed, edit accordingly. My database is 2 years old in Sentinel..never sweat out "no update issues", just check the database every so often and it's done.
While I do update the database itself periodically, I also do what 'shades mentioned. I have my RR page set to monitor the counties & trunked systems of interest to me. When I see a change in one of them (based on the color, green being updated in the last 24hrs, yellow for within the last week), then I see if the changes affect any of my Favorites lists. Quite often, they don't, but if they do, it only takes a very few minutes to update Favorites lists where necessary.

I suppose that if you were scanning based soley on the main database & location, you might need to update more frequently, but a delay, or omission, of one weekly update is not going to be that huge of an impediment.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
While I do update the database itself periodically, I also do what 'shades mentioned. I have my RR page set to monitor the counties & trunked systems of interest to me. When I see a change in one of them (based on the color, green being updated in the last 24hrs, yellow for within the last week), then I see if the changes affect any of my Favorites lists. Quite often, they don't, but if they do, it only takes a very few minutes to update Favorites lists where necessary.

I suppose that if you were scanning based soley on the main database & location, you might need to update more frequently, but a delay, or omission, of one weekly update is not going to be that huge of an impediment.

It also helps you learn about the scanner too...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It also helps you learn about the scanner too...
You are absolutely correct.

While scanning using only location & the database can be helpful for a new user (giving then a starting point while they get accustomed to their just-received scanner), long term using Favorites lists is much more focused on what actually is of interest.

If I were traveling to an area (such as out of state) that is not familiar to me, I might use a GPS & the database to monitor. But even then, I likely would have a second scanner set up with Favorites lists based on what I see on the intended journey.

togo54

Premium Subscriber
Urgent? No,
What possible reason would cause it to become "urgent"?

Status
Not open for further replies.