HOA's (HomeOwner's Associations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightFox

Anyone have any run-ins with their HOA's? Our contract forbids antennas but I know that FCC and Indiana State Law list that accomidations must be made for amateur operators. I'm 95% sure that if I put up a 20'-30' tower that I will get some heated letters. My thoughts were to approach them before hand and explain what my intentions were and to give them information on FCC ruling and the State codes. Any suggestions?

Go-24

If you have entered into a contract that forbids antennas you are probably SOL. Exactly how that would affect your neighbors god only knows, - I absolutely hate HOAs too!

Good luck!

retroactiv

This same thing happend to my parents who live in an upscale area of the state. They changed the color of there home and the HOA went off the hook told them that they were going to take them to court only problem.... They (my parents) told them that there $1000 HOA due's wouldn't show up next year... End of Story....

HOA's are simply a joke.

NightFox

yeah i hate them too. I've already received 2 letters for the most random things. Once I left my trash can in front of my garage for a week and the other time was because I was dumping my grass clippings into an empty dirt lot. One of my neighbors got into it with them over their swing-set. Apparently you need the blessing of God to put up your own swing-set now...lol

GTO_04

I put CB and scanner antennas on my chimney. I've had them there for 22 years and never a problem from HOA. They generally are a bunch of busybodies. In my case, they're too busy hassling people having the wrong color mailboxes, too many weeds in their yard, and grass that's too tall! Even fences have to be approved by them! Ironically, the people who approve the fences are the same ones that let their dogs run loose and s*** in everyone else's yard!

I do recall reading about cases where FCC rules and regs take precedence over neighborhood covenants. So it may not be so cut and dried. I suppose you need to talk to a lawyer experienced in communications law and HOAs. More research is called for. BTW, don't consult with the same attorney that the HOA uses LOL! They'll just tell you that HOAs prevail in all cases, and that simply isn't true.

GTO_04

us007605

Check into Indiana Senate Bill 109 and go to the ARRL website (arrl.org) and search for PRB-1. The info states that the FCC's PRB-1 is intended to protect Amateurs from state and local laws and to make accomodations for Amateurs. Unfortunately, protection from HOA covenants wasn't included. Indiana SB 109 only states that the FCC rule (PRB-1) is recognized by Indiana and it also states nothing about HOA covenants.

spadoinkle

Like any rule or law, read the language carefully. I heard a good story about a HOA forbidding "Permanent antenna towers" but said nothing about temporary or portable structures. The guy took a small utility wagon and mounted a retractable antenna tower on it. Then every weekend he took it down, attached the trailer to his vehicle, and paraded it around the neighborhood slowly so everyone could clearly see that it wasn't a permanent structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.