Hodgenville City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackodrumr

Looks like we’re going digital.

E-Town News Paper

Doesn’t say if they’re going Kenwood or Motorola. They mention encryption on a $31k budget so I’d guess they’re going NXDN.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see anything in the article about encryption. I hear Radcliff in the clear and when I'm close enough to E-town I hear them. So for the very reason they mention, encryption isn't good for mutual aid communications.

Wackodrumr

I didn't see anything in the article about encryption. I hear Radcliff in the clear and when I'm close enough to E-town I hear them. So for the very reason they mention, encryption isn't good for mutual aid communications.

"Highbaugh said members of the community who monitor emergency traffic with scanners will find existing models are not compatible with the digital system and the new frequency will be scrambled and encrypted meaning people with scanners would need a key code in order to access the frequency."

They could share the encryption key with other agencies as long as they have compatible systems. Hard to speculate this early on, other than that $31k budget.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Ah - didn't read far enough down. I'm not getting the "people with scanners would need a key code in order to access the frequency" part. If transmissions are encrypted, scanners can't deal with that key code or not.

One of those wait and see things.

Status
Not open for further replies.