SDS100/SDS200: Hole on backside of SDS100 Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeWellSpent

Hello, just picked up an SDS100 a couple days ago and I noticed there is a hole on the backside of the unit below the battery clip nipple. What is the purpose of this hole? Should there be some type of screw or cover for the hole? Not sure about it being water resistant.SDS100.jpg

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
No one knows the purpose of that hole. It's covered with a piece of self-adhesive foam.

TimeWellSpent

Okay, thank you for the reply. In searching the image, I see some have a screw and some are open like mine. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Okay, thank you for the reply. In searching the image, I see some have a screw and some are open like mine. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Interesting, I've never seen one with a screw there. I'm pretty sure nothing is on the inside for a screw to attach to.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I thought I remember Paul saying it was some kind of a vent.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I never noticed before you asked. If the foam is air permeable I would say it’s a vent hold. The battery does have an o-ring around the cover edge, but without looking at the specification sheet I’m not sure of the water resistance rating for the radio.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
That hole confused me as well as I had seen pictures with a screw there. I was thinking it might have been for a reset switch that was originally planned but was later discarded in development.

KevinC

Super Moderator
I thought I remember Paul saying it was some kind of a vent.

I don't believe he ever commented on it. The vent theory was speculation by someone I believe. I also don't believe the case is sealed well enough to require any venting, but I really don't know.

tvengr

Well Known Member
From Scanner Master posted by Rich Carlson:

5) What is that little hole on the back of the radio? Am I missing a screw?

That hole below the belt clip knob is there to provide a case breather to prevent pressure issues. The radio is still water resistant due to other parts inside the case. On some radios there have been issues with elevation changes causing the case to pressurize and damaging components. This pressure relief helps to prevent these issues. SDS100 Hints, Tips and FAQ’s | Scanner Master Blog

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe he ever commented on it. The vent theory was speculation by someone I believe. I also don't believe the case is sealed well enough to require any venting, but I really don't know.
Yep maybe it wasn't Paul but somebody under the Uniden support username. Wherever I heard it, I believed it and I leave the mounting disk on the radio when I put it into a carrying case to make sure that "vent" or whatever, is not covered up. I remember something about heat and pressure. As I say, whoever said it, I believed it LOL.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Same as the VX-7R inside the battery area. The temp differences can cause pressure changes that distort audio. It's really noticable with a 7R at times until you pop the battery and burp it.

I can see that on that radio since it's "waterproof" (submersible) but the SDS-100 is only splash resistant. Maybe they were just being cautious.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yep maybe it wasn't Paul but somebody under the Uniden support username. Wherever I heard it, I believed it and I leave the mounting disk on the radio when I put it into a carrying case to make sure that "vent" or whatever, is not covered up. I remember something about heat and pressure. As I say, whoever said it, I believed it LOL.
I vaguely remember Paul mentioning that. That was before I saw the Scanner Master article. I can't be sure, but I believe he did.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
From Scanner Master posted by Rich Carlson:

5) What is that little hole on the back of the radio? Am I missing a screw?

That hole below the belt clip knob is there to provide a case breather to prevent pressure issues. The radio is still water resistant due to other parts inside the case. On some radios there have been issues with elevation changes causing the case to pressurize and damaging components. This pressure relief helps to prevent these issues. SDS100 Hints, Tips and FAQ’s | Scanner Master Blog
Like the OP, I was wondering what the hole is for. Thanks for posting this!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I knew the reason for the hole but have always wondered why Uniden decided to use an existing case to house the SDS100. It appears their marine line has a case which would naturally have water resistant/water proofing as a feature because of the marine environment. If Uniden didn’t jinclude the water resistant feature in the SDS100, a feature I believe most never expected anyways, the radio would be able to dissipate much more heat than it does and there would be no need for the pressure weep hole. But then, I have always thought the SDS100 was rushed to market. As much as I like the case, I believe it was chosen without regard to the physical size of a battery with a requirement of at least better than 4 hours operating time, or at the very least, an oversight apparent by Uniden offering a free upgrade to a battery that approx doubled the life of the original.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Hello, just picked up an SDS100 a couple days ago and I noticed there is a hole on the backside of the unit below the battery clip nipple. What is the purpose of this hole? Should there be some type of screw or cover for the hole? Not sure about it being water resistant.View attachment 101096

As much as I enjoy the speculation, here is the beef: (does anyone remember that commercial?)

Originally there was a heatsink on the interior that was held on with a screw. That is why there is a concentric circular lip around the hole. The production versions omitted that (intentionally) since the engineers determined that the heatsink did little after heating to temperature. So that hole was used for the vent which was found to be a better use.

...and now you know the rest of the story.

Why (re)-use an existing case? Cost savings. There was a huge chunk of R&D that went into the new circuit design, and the case re-use was a way to help keep the costs from being even higher (which would have resulted in a higher price for the consumer). Yes, there were some design improvements that could have been made, but again, there was no budget to make changes. Most of it went into the simulcast solution.

Yes, the battery drain was even higher than expected, and that is why the Kardashian cover was created. I don't know the details of that calculation.

There was a dealer who leaked the SDS100 prematurely, but that did not significantly accelerate the release, so it was not rushed. The larger cover and battery was simply not available at release, nor was it available for a couple months or so after release. That's why the battery program existed.

KevinC

Super Moderator
As much as I enjoy the speculation, here is the beef: (does anyone remember that commercial?)

Originally there was a heatsink on the interior that was held on with a screw. That is why there is a concentric circular lip around the hole. The production versions omitted that (intentionally) since the engineers determined that the heatsink did little after heating to temperature. So that hole was used for the vent which was found to be a better use.

...and now you know the rest of the story.

Why (re)-use an existing case? Cost savings. There was a huge chunk of R&D that went into the new circuit design, and the case re-use was a way to help keep the costs from being even higher (which would have resulted in a higher price for the consumer). Yes, there were some design improvements that could have been made, but again, there was no budget to make changes. Most of it went into the simulcast solution.

Yes, the battery drain was even higher than expected, and that is why the Kardashian cover was created. I don't know the details of that calculation.

There was a dealer who leaked the SDS100 prematurely, but that did not significantly accelerate the release, so it was not rushed. The larger cover and battery was simply not available at release, nor was it available for a couple months or so after release. That's why the battery program existed.

So then the "vent" isn't really needed, correct? Otherwise it would have been in the original design I'm guessing.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
So then the "vent" isn't really needed, correct? Otherwise it would have been in the original design I'm guessing.

"So that hole was used for the vent which was found to be a better use."

Note 'better use'. If you eliminate it, it would be worse than the heatsink solution. I would not recommend blocking the vent.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Not only did a vendor release information prematurely but pretty much shortly after you had the competition dishonestly claim they were in the process of making a simulcast capable radio that was nothing more than vaporware, the reality is they didn't have the capability of building their own radio, most consumers didn't know it would have to go into the carcass of a PRS 800. Something the competition knew in about 10 minutes wouldn't work but they kept the charade going for almost a year, business is business, could have something to do with rushing the release of The 100?

No different than Uniden using the carcass of a marine radio that ended up not being the size they ended up needing... hence, The Kardashian big butt battery... nice recovery Paul, what else could you do? You came right out with the truth and made the changes. Point is Uniden made a radio that works great on simulcast, despite all of its pi** poor quality control.

This is all in the past, eventually the competition will stop selling obsolete PSR radios as old as 15 years+ and they will Circle the Drain.

As far as Uniden goes, you get what you got. I'll keep that vent clear as I've always done. I really had no question it was some kind of vent.

UPM... thanks for the clarification. Not an easy job huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.