Holiday deals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelixArray

Hi, gals and guys

It's been a while since I've monitored any local frequencies and I haven't kept up with any of the somewhat newer features regarding scanners.

If possible, I need some help in finding an ("affordable" $100-$150) scanner that I can hook-up to my computer and record my local(city EMS/FD/PD)(mostly 450.000s - 460.000s) traffic. I'm only familiar with radio shack scanners to be honest. After some searching on the forums, I see a lot of Uniden brand recommendations. I went to their website and saw some holiday deals but I wanted to use the "FreeScan" software, assuming purchasing other recording software will break my budget?

Thanks for any help in advance.

safetyobc

A great deal on the PSR-310 right now......If you want analog only.

Also the base model is the same price at $149.99

Or the Pro-164 (refurbished) from RS for $129.

edit: sorry didn't see you were wanting Freescan to program them. Also, it depends on your area as to what you can hear. What is your location? That would help us identify if you need digital or just analog to listen to your local PD/FD/EMS,etc.

I would probably look for a used BCT15 or similar on eBay or on these boards in the classifieds if I wanted to stay under $150 and maximize my bang for buck.

Last edited:

W2PMX

If you're talking about recording the audio, try Scanner Recorder. It's free, and it works pretty well. Xcorder is even better (and free), but not if you're running Windows 7 (I can't seem to get it to see any audio on 7, but it works fine on XP.)

HelixArray

Whew, thank god that's the only city; I had already ordered it! I remember a long while ago when I saw they had new antennas on the trunks, around the same time their frequencies went out. I no longer monitor that city, and my city can't afford such gear, so I believe I'm good to go.

Thanks again for the help, safety and W2PMX.

Status
Not open for further replies.