Hollister / Taney CO Reception Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I travel to Branson frequently, and have recently purchased a home in Hollister.

I have a BCD325P2 - And have all the P25 Trunked frequencies inputed to my scanner relevant to Taney CO's P25 Public Safety trunked system, part of the state-wide system

Currently I am staying at the Chateau On the River Hotel (Located in Hollister) - far western Taney CO

I have a Radio Shack 800MHZ antenna, as well as a Wilson All Band antenna, and --several others- I have tried....

When I program Taney County (As part of Missouri's P25 Statewide Public Safety Trunked system
(With 161.8750 as the control channel) I am having extensive difficulty with receiving this P25 system

(i.e. Taney CO Sherrif, Hollister Dispatch, and Troop D (All for Taney CO)

When I program Taney CO with my 325P2, I first select the system (P25) then I select "Standard Trunk". - the two options are "Standard Trunk"
and "One-Freq Trunk"

I then input the frequencies for Taney CO's P25 System (Part of the Missouri Statewide Public Safety P25 Trunked System) and after using several antennas, I am continually having extensive difficulty monitoring this system (once again -- in the west part of Taney CO and can't monitor anything.

For example, tonight, as previously mentioned, I am staying at the Chateau On the Lake Hotel in Hollister, and although the scanner is displaying up to four bars, I am unable to monitor --anything--

(i.e. The TG might be displayed, but no voice reception is heard.

Is this usual for this specific area Taney CO, or am I failing to program the system correctly...I have never had any problems monitoring P25 systems with my BCD325P2 before...

If anyone is familiar with Taney's P25 system, and would be kind enough to help me, I would sincerely appreciate feedback as to what I might be doing incorrectly......

Last edited by a moderator:

iamhere300

I travel to Branson frequently, and have recently purchased a home in Hollister.

I have a BCD325P2 - And have all the P25 Trunked frequencies inputed to my scanner relevant to Taney CO's P25 Public Safety trunked system, part of the state-wide system

It is not Taney Countys system. It is MOSWIN, Taney County is merely a user.

Have you programmed in surrounding sites also?

Have they gone to all Moswin?

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Yes. My main reception issue is with Taney on the MOSWIN

It could be simply the hotel that I'm staying at which is the Château on the Lake,
If you are for familiar with where that is located

When I am mobile, closer to the city, I have no problems

But I certainly do where I am right now…

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
When you say you have trouble with reception do you get anything? Double check the control channel(s) too. And as I believe someone else suggested program the surrounding counties for MOSWIN, that should help.

I remember some issues receiving MOSWIN signals in the Branson area last year when my wife and I were down there. I am sure the big hills and valleys don't help.

Good luck.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Request a room move to a higher floor.

LOL. Wise advice.

But seriously, has anyone else experienced reception issues in Taney CO (especially the more -rural- areas)
on MOSWIN

I have programmed nearby counties as well. I have a BCD325P2

I have tried --multiple-- mobile antennas for my 325

In my home, should I try a discone antenna when at home? I will be living in Hollister

Any help / feedback would be appreciated.

AD0JA

Repeater Collector
I've never had any reception issues when using my XTS5000 other than in obvious spots. Can't say about a scanner though, never tried.

Branson does have a lot of RFI in the city and then all the hills make for some interesting propagation.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
As I stated before I have had reception problems in Taney Co and areas nearby but I can not say there was a specific reason for the problems. Most monitoring was done in and near Branson. Keep trying, you might find a way to get better reception.

bdalton26

Premium Subscriber
I am in Branson monthly, we are not having any problems with receiving TCSO and Branson PD/Fire, and TCA (also Troop D south repeater), but I am using the BCD436HP with a satellite GPS hooked up and it auto enables Taney once we get in Christian County. I had the model radio you had before this one and had trouble not hearing Taney County SO as well, for what its worth.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I am in Branson monthly, we are not having any problems with receiving TCSO and Branson PD/Fire, and TCA (also Troop D south repeater), but I am using the BCD436HP with a satellite GPS hooked up and it auto enables Taney once we get in Christian County. I had the model radio you had before this one and had trouble not hearing Taney County SO as well, for what its worth.

Yes, my experience has been commensurate. What I am discussing is the more rurual smaller towns in Taney CO - LIke Hollister. For example
I have a Lake front property in Hollister

Would using a discone antenna possibly remedy my reception, Currently I have a BCD325P2
and use the "tried and true" old radio shack 800MHZ antenna.

bdalton26

Premium Subscriber
Since the repeaters for Taney County transmit on VHF Hi band (with the exception of some 700 Mhz towers in select locations of the state, including Springfield, I would suggest a broad spectrum antenna. In testing a 900 Mhz antenna results were poor on MOSWIN we found. We use a Tram brand magnetic broad spectrum antenna in the car and with both the 325P2 and the 436HP I could receive OK State patrol from Marionville, MO in some Dx trials. Not bad for a cheaper antenna. Most of the time my problem with the 325P2 was a programming glitch causing me not to receive all the departments in a given area.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Try a vhf high band antenna or one that receives more than just 700/800/900 freqs. I bet you you will get better reception if you use the stock antenna for the scanner. Give it a try.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Since the repeaters for Taney County transmit on VHF Hi band (with the exception of some 700 Mhz towers in select locations of the state, including Springfield, I would suggest a broad spectrum antenna. In testing a 900 Mhz antenna results were poor on MOSWIN we found. We use a Tram brand magnetic broad spectrum antenna in the car and with both the 325P2 and the 436HP I could receive OK State patrol from Marionville, MO in some Dx trials. Not bad for a cheaper antenna. Most of the time my problem with the 325P2 was a programming glitch causing me not to receive all the departments in a given area.

Could you, or someone else, give me a specific brand of antenna or model number?

You mention tram, but can you give me a model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.