Hollow vs Solid radials

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

I have been searching the wiki here, and in general for opinions regarding the reception capabilities of discone radials. I have several discones and one is hollow aluminum that I have had for more than 20 years. I cannot recall the brand. I am concerned that the hollow aluminum is inferior to the solid radials. It seems that way when I place different scanners onto that discone. Can someone please refer me to a site to learn about this issue, or let me know what they think, Thank You

ab5r

I personally doubt that it would make ANY difference. I would suspect the coax being faulty first or connection rusty or corroded.

AlphaFive

hollow vs solid radial

Thanks for the reply, after a few hours of reading, no one seems to notice any difference regarding reception,,,, the reception question doesn't seem to arise. Thanks again, take care

lep

It won't make any difference whether the radials are "solid" or hollow. At UHF where this type antenna is commonly used the 'skin effect' comes into play.

AlphaFive

Hollow vs Solid

That makes perfect sense, now that you explain it. Actually the hollow aluminum which I was suspect of, is slightly larger, Thank you all, and take care

prcguy

The skin effect varies with frequency where signals at 1MHz can penetrate the surface plating on copper plated steel wire causing measurable loss. At VHF/UHF and above its mostly confined to the skin and you probably won't find tubing thin enough to cause any loss compared to a solid conductor of the same diameter.

You may find more difference between antennas based on the type of metal used. Stainless steel is not a great conductor and identical antennas made of aluminum and stainless steel have been compared where the aluminum version measured slightly better. I sort of remember numbers approaching .5dB difference. You would never notice that in normal operation but it can be measured.
prcguy

AlphaFive

Hollow vs Solid

Thanks for the information, I'm feeling pretty confident that although the structure is different, nothing noticeable will occur regarding loss, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.