Holmes County Ohio Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

elianna

I'm new to this forum and I don't understand everything about all the terms. I've has a 10 channel Bearcat Scanner for about 8-10 years. I mainly listen to Wayne and Holmes County Sheriff, I live in Holmes. Lately Holmes Sheriff has gone silent except for the Fire transmissions, Wayne County Sheriff and Fire are still active. Can anyone tell me how to get Holmes County Sheriff back? Do I need a different scanner. I would appreciate any help I can get. Have they gone to a system that we can't scan? Thanks a head of time. elianna

LiberaFan08

What happened to HCSO

I am surprised that nobody has replied to this post.This matter was discussed on this website last August and and it seems that Holmes County Sheriff may have gone to a lesser used digital mode called Moto TRBO.This is a completely different digital mode from APCO 25 and there are NO scanners that can monitor it !!! The frequencies reported were 154.7625 and 159.2775 respectively.I guess you will have to find another hobby.Maybe WA8PYR can shine some more light on the subject.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am surprised that nobody has replied to this post.This matter was discussed on this website last August and and it seems that Holmes County Sheriff may have gone to a lesser used digital mode called Moto TRBO.This is a completely different digital mode from APCO 25 and there are NO scanners that can monitor it !!! The frequencies reported were 154.7625 and 159.2775 respectively.I guess you will have to find another hobby.Maybe WA8PYR can shine some more light on the subject.

I've heard random TRBO on Holmes Co Sheriff frequencies. I can't reliably copy HCSO on a regular basis, but when the band conditions permit in the evening I'll hear them. They not only seem to be running TRBO when I hear them, but they also appear to be using one or more of the FCC-registered repeat inputs as an output.

So if you live in / monitor Holmes Co SO, you should consider plugging in all of the SO input and output frequencies and reporting what you hear.

Don't be surprised if you don't hear anything but digital data though.

Thanks Lib for replying to the OPs post. I didn't see it.

Mike

AYoung2600

Wow, that sucks. I live in Holmes county also and I used to monitor them. I kind of wondered why I haven't been hearing anything lately.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Wow, that sucks. I live in Holmes county also and I used to monitor them. I kind of wondered why I haven't been hearing anything lately.

Before you jump the gun, you should program in all of the specific frequencies listed for the SO and see what you are hearing on them. They may not use digital TRBO full time (they have the option to use analog). And it's hard to tell what frequency the repeater outputs are on nowadays, at least from here. The few times I heard them, they appeared to have at least one repeater input and output switched so that if you only programmed in the repeater output you wouldn't hear anything unless they were local.

If I were you I'd listen on:

154.905 / 159.03 is the typical output/input pair for which you all report not hearing anything new on.

155.37 is the typical intercity frequency we all often hear agencies on

The rest are the ones to look out for:

Please let us know what you find out.

Mike

elianna

Thanks for your replies, looks like I need a new scanner if I am going to try all those frequencies, I will let you know what I find out. I turn on the scanner in the morning and we turn it off before we go to bed, entertainment, yes, but more than that for us. My husband and I are retired and we don't have TV, we live on a high hill and we cannot see the road from the house. There are two ways into our house and each is quite a climb, at the bottom on both sides of the hill are rivers which flood at times and in the winter we trusted the scanner for road levels and to know where the roads were the worst. When the roads are bad, you don't go down the hill b/c you might not get back up. I suppose the chatter in the background is much like why people turn their TV's on all day, just to have something going on. I also miss hearing the SO here in Holmes County. Do you suppose there will be a scanner that can pick up the turbo? Thanks again.

LiberaFan08

If you can't beat em.....

While I seriously doubt that there will be any Moto TRBO scanners very soon,you could probably find used Motorola commercial gear that works in that mode and have it programmed for "receive only" on the frequencies that you want to hear.You might find something like this at a hamfest or by simply poking around on the internet.Good Luck !!!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

There is a pending license update for Holmes Co where they are requesting that one of the repeater frequencies, 154.7625, be changed to 154.8675.

That application hasn't been granted yet. But those of you monitoring should program the following frequencies in:

154.8675 (supposedly would replace 154.7625)

Of course, if they use exclusively TRBO digital modes, you won't be able to actually listen to them anyway. But there is no guarantee that they would use digital all of the time.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.