Holy Mackerel! the Coca-Covid 600 flyover is un-virtual!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

Considering this years race will have no fans/witness's and that it will be a CGI enhanced remix of previous races (what, ya'll gonna tell me it's real right?), i hadn't even bothered to check if there would be a flyover. but curiosity got the best of me and i found a list of pre-game events:

• A virtual “State of Freedom” address as part of the pre-race show. (i think we can agree freedom in this country has long been virtual)

• A virtual performance of the national anthem

• A virtual 21-gun salute. (got a few questions about this...i digress)

• A virtual performance of “Taps”

but thennnnn.....

• A live flyover by the Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation featuring two vintage P-51 Mustang warbirds flying alongside modern USAF F-16 and F-22 fighter attack jets.

LIVE you say? Not a canned flyover? a real studio audience??

one can only wonder where this flyover will take place. i also note all craft mentioned are single seaters.

and formation flying, i presume shan't be allowed either.

consideriing the mix of aircraft, we can probably throw out previous years frequencies being of any use, aside from the KCLT ones.

if ya catch it, you know the drill, post it!

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
From 12 miles away looking straight up Church Street in Charlotte to the Speedway I was shocked that they were still going to have the flyover due to the storms in the area. Here's what I heard:

134.65 Concord Tower talking to a helicopter going to the track saying that the flight of 2 Raptors & 2 Viper were holding 10 miles to the southeast and that they kept losing communication with Charlotte & Concord

257.2 Heard the Raptor 1 talking to Charlotte prior to the flyby

123.025 last year this appeared to be Speedway Control. Only heard a couple scratchy transmissions this year with one being "Viper and Raptor can you come up on 279". Don't know what freq they were referring to. Looks like I'll have to put in multiple VHF & UHF freqs next year.

307.8 Raptor 1 & Viper talking to Charlotte Tower. Raptor 1 & 25 were headed back to Langley via Raleigh. Viper was headed back to Shaw.

All in all, a LOT less aircraft traffic than last several years.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @Baddad for trying and the report. Interesting I saw an E-6, FESS22 162784, circle from the coast to High Point NC and back for a landing at Seymore Johnson AFB but never saw any others on ADS-B.

Status
Not open for further replies.