Home 2m Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
Since we do not know his circumstances, it is best if he is given as much information as possible.

N8FNR

All things being equal, I think the OP would be better served with the Comet or Diamond over a J-Pole. A Diamond X30A would be just a little more cost than the Arrow J-Pole, about the same size and wouldn't suffer the sensitivity to less than ideal mounting conditions that can plague a J-Pole.
I had a Arrow J-pole up but replaced it with a Comet GP-3. The bad part about the design of the Arrow is that you have to seal the crap out of it with coax-seal or something related. Arrow really should come up with some kind of waterproof housing.

On the other hand the Comet mount completely covers the coax. The design is very well thought out. Using the Comet that is fed with LMR400 and an HT I get pretty good coverage of the Detroit area.

bharvey2

I had a Arrow J-pole up but replaced it with a Comet GP-3. The bad part about the design of the Arrow is that you have to seal the crap out of it with coax-seal or something related. Arrow really should come up with some kind of waterproof housing.

On the other hand the Comet mount completely covers the coax. The design is very well thought out. Using the Comet that is fed with LMR400 and an HT I get pretty good coverage of the Detroit area.

I built one just like the Arrow several years ago and you are correct. Having a PL259 connector out in the open like that is a PITA. I had to seal the snot out of it

meplat

Premium Subscriber
I have three VHF antennas up at the house, one of which is a J pole. It has been in the air for 12 years. The only thing I did was use tape, and keep an eye on the SWR. In that time, I have replaced the tape twice. I do not consider 30 seconds to wrap the plug a PITA. I am in central Ontario, and we get our share of precipitation and dampness year round.

I also have an X50 on a mast. The connector is also taped, despite being inside the mounting pipe.

Neither has given me a lick of a problem. If you are living in an area that tends to be humid and windy, heat shrink is also an inexpensive, viable option for your connectors.

I still wonder though, what the OP's circumstances are. Is he a new ham? Hopefully, he can provide more information.

bharvey2

I have three VHF antennas up at the house, one of which is a J pole. It has been in the air for 12 years. The only thing I did was use tape, and keep an eye on the SWR. In that time, I have replaced the tape twice. I do not consider 30 seconds to wrap the plug a PITA. I am in central Ontario, and we get our share of precipitation and dampness year round.

I also have an X50 on a mast. The connector is also taped, despite being inside the mounting pipe.

Neither has given me a lick of a problem. If you are living in an area that tends to be humid and windy, heat shrink is also an inexpensive, viable option for your connectors.

I still wonder though, what the OP's circumstances are. Is he a new ham? Hopefully, he can provide more information.

The connection style isn't my main concern with the Arrow J-Pole but rather the inclination of J-Pole to interact with the surroundings and the feedline. This isn't always a problem but it can be. I wholeheartedly agree with you thought that the OP should provide a better description of his needs, mounting location, terrain, etc.

Oh, and I'm probably just more "anal" about weatherproofing whether it's justified or not.

Firekite

I just ordered a Comet GP-3 for the place where I just moved to. I’ve never had a base station before, only mobile. I’m very interested to see how well it works in my location as an attic antenna hanging from the peak of the rafters (asphalt shingles, no radiant barrier). It might get moved outside to a mast at some point, which from an RF standpoint would be better. But if it’s good enough for now, I’ll be satisfied. A bunch of stuff around me I can hit with an HT wearing a rubber duck, but there are some more distant repeaters where I used to live that might be challenging even with 50W. We’ll see.

Firekite

You really should use some decent coax like 400MAX or LMR-400. Using cheap coax will only lead to disappointment due to losses in the cable.
I agree in general. In my case the run is only going to be about 20 or 25 feet, and I went with LMR-240 since I already have all the tooling needed for it. Should be plenty for my needs, and when I run LMR-400 for a mast mount at some point, the LMR-240 will stay in place and make a great scanner setup.

spanky15805

Firekite, you and prcguy (maybe mckenna) are probably the only two people on this forum that a crimping tool for LMR240

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I have a crimp tool that works from RG-58 up to LMR-240, I've made myself quite a few different cables from LMR-240. I'm thinking about getting one that will work with LMR-400.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm late to this party….

My favorite antenna for 2 meters at my home was a Ringo. Got it for free from a ham friend. Used it for years, worked great. Scored a free Diamond discone and it was sitting in the rafters. A new ham needed a base antenna, so I gave him the Ringo and put the discone in its place. Works OK, but I wish I still had the Ringo.

Don't get hung up on antenna gain too much unless you have a tall tower to put it on and work simplex a lot. Use the best coaxial cable you can afford.

magnetx

Premium Subscriber
Ok - It's time to choose my base antenna for my 2 meter setup at home. Besides cost, what would be the best performer. Any plus or minuses for installing either antenna below. I realize the Diamond is dual band and CommScope is not. What is the difference between a commercial vs consumer antenna?

Diamond X700HNA with 9 dB of gain & 70 cm band for future expansion

CommScope DB224-E with 6dB of gain with Omni coverage
Just installed the Diamond X700HNA this past weekend, I also have a Comet GP-9 on the same roof I would definitely get the Diamond X700HNA unbelievable antenna.
I am running an Icom IC-9700 with the Diamond X700HNA and 50 feet of LMR-400, I am located in Staten Island, NY and made a 2M 146.520 Mhz. simplex contact in Philadelphia with full quieting.

tibadoex

OK thanks for the replies. Just a quick update. For a temporary setup, I'm using my UV-5rTP, ext mic, and JPole on a 24' pole. I was surprised I was able to hit two of the main repeaters which are about 40+ miles in two different directions.

I got a power 30 amp supply and LMR400 cable. I may change it up a bit and check out the Diamond X510. (The X700 seems to be a great antenna but the flexing seems to bother me.) So now I need to decide which X510 would work the best for my needs: HDN or NJ model??? My radio is 50w hi and 10w on low and covers these frequencies: VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx).

FYI: I will be putting up a 40' tower in the future and mount the antenna on top of that with a 8' pole.

prcguy

Can you elaborate more on the X700 like how much better it is over a GP-9? There is a clone of the X700 out that is about $225 shipped, its only available at the moment with the japanese amateur tuning of 145 and 430MHz but will soon be available centered on the US FM part of the bands. I will probably get one to try out.

Just installed the Diamond X700HNA this past weekend, I also have a Comet GP-9 on the same roof I would definitely get the Diamond X700HNA unbelievable antenna.
I am running an Icom IC-9700 with the Diamond X700HNA and 50 feet of LMR-400, I am located in Staten Island, NY and made a 2M 146.520 Mhz. simplex contact in Philadelphia with full quieting.

prcguy

You mention your radio covers 136-174 and 400-520MHz but a Diamond X510 or Comet GP-9 or any of these amateur antennas are only going to cover the 2m and 70CM amateur bands and just a little more. You might get about 142 to 150 and 435 to 455MHz type coverage and then the VSWR will be heading into the 3:1 or higher range.

I'm plugged into a Comet GP-9 at the moment and on 462/467Mhz GMRS the VSWR is way out of whack.

OK thanks for the replies. Just a quick update. For a temporary setup, I'm using my UV-5rTP, ext mic, and JPole on a 24' pole. I was surprised I was able to hit two of the main repeaters which are about 40+ miles in two different directions.

I got a power 30 amp supply and LMR400 cable. I may change it up a bit and check out the Diamond X510. (The X700 seems to be a great antenna but the flexing seems to bother me.) So now I need to decide which X510 would work the best for my needs: HDN or NJ model??? My radio is 50w hi and 10w on low and covers these frequencies: VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx).

FYI: I will be putting up a 40' tower in the future and mount the antenna on top of that with a 8' pole.

tibadoex

You mention your radio covers 136-174 and 400-520MHz but a Diamond X510 or Comet GP-9 or any of these amateur antennas are only going to cover the 2m and 70CM amateur bands and just a little more. You might get about 142 to 150 and 435 to 455MHz type coverage and then the VSWR will be heading into the 3:1 or higher range....................

Was just relaying what the specs were on the radio box. According the a repeater list in my area most operations will be in this range: On 2 meter I will be hanging around the 145 thru 147ish. On the 70cm I will be in the range of 442 thru 444ish.

So I'm guessing the X510HDN would be the closest to those channels? Shows 2m/440.

Last edited:

prcguy

Thats's what the X510 is made for.

Was just relaying what the specs were on the radio box. According the a repeater list in my area most operations will be in this range: On 2 meter I will be hanging around the 145 thru 147ish. On the 70cm I will be in the range of 442 thru 444ish.

So I'm guessing the X510 would be the closest to those channels? Shows 2m/440.

Status
Not open for further replies.