Home 2m Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

The US version of the Harvest copy of the Diamond X700HNA is now available and I just ordered one to test out. The Ebay price was $225 shipped and I offered $210 and it was accepted. The Harvest has very similar specs and size to the Diamond but its $179 cheaper.

Can you elaborate more on the X700 like how much better it is over a GP-9? There is a clone of the X700 out that is about $225 shipped, its only available at the moment with the japanese amateur tuning of 145 and 430MHz but will soon be available centered on the US FM part of the bands. I will probably get one to try out.

Ubbe

When you see vertical antennas with high gain like 13dB and look at its radiation pattern, it will loose half the signal if it tilts 5 degree. A 24ft antenna will bend in the slightest wind. It is probably wise to use some nylon rope to guy that antenna 2/3 up.

/Ubbe

prcguy

It's not dBd gain and probably not even dBi, but it would be more 2m and 70cm omni gain than anything else I've used at my home. This one is going on a 20ft wide horizontal tower section that is 20ft below the top of the tower out at the end, so it will be parallel to the tower but 10ft out from it and the radiation pattern should be ok. It will replace an off brand GP-9 copy and I will take some accurate receive measurements on the current antenna and this replacement to see the difference in gain.

Not worried too much about wind and bending as its sheltered some from the wind and not at the top of the tower. If it works out I will diplex a 2m and 70cm repeater together on this new antenna. This is not something you would ever put on a mountain top repeater site.

When you see vertical antennas with high gain like 13dB and look at its radiation pattern, it will loose half the signal if it tilts 5 degree. A 24ft antenna will bend in the slightest wind. It is probably wise to use some nylon rope to guy that antenna 2/3 up.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

it will be parallel to the tower but 10ft out from it and the radiation pattern should be ok.
I have a X510 parallell to a mast pole and used a plastic tube, the ones used for installation of electrical mains wiring in houses, and put a bicycle tube thru it and around the X510 half way up and back in the tube and then tighten around the mast pole and secured that end of the tube with hose clamps. You don't want any metal near an antenna.

The antenna use soft plastics that bends easily but its wind resistance are small so it only needs a very simple support to stay upright when the wind blows.

/Ubbe

prcguy

I currently have two Comet GP-9 antennas up high and they are the same size as the Diamond X510. My Comets have been fine in high winds and don't bend much, there is no need to reinforce them.

I have a X510 parallell to a mast pole and used a plastic tube, the ones used for installation of electrical mains wiring in houses, and put a bicycle tube thru it and around the X510 half way up and back in the tube and then tighten around the mast pole and secured that end of the tube with hose clamps. You don't want any metal near an antenna.

The antenna use soft plastics that bends easily but its wind resistance are small so it only needs a very simple support to stay upright when the wind blows.

/Ubbe

W5lz

I have the Comet GP-6. There's some 'flex' to it but nothing that affects what I hear with it. The only recommendation I'd make is to get it as high as possible. I'm in Oklahoma so am familiar with wind...

Status
Not open for further replies.