Home depot is in the game now

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have used a Tram 1480 for over five years. Zero problems with it. Just make sure to connect the elements inside when putting it together, as I have read that others forget to do that. I did not need to trim the upper section at all for tuning. In fact, I swept that antenna again within the last two months as I moved it to a different radio. I forgot the numbers, but no SWR issues. Overall, it was flat.

Additionally, before my purchase I read a recommendation to seal the joint where the sections meet. I used 3M 88 tape and then coax tape over that before mounting it. I have two Diamond X50A antennas and it works slightly better than both of those, so I left the Tram up and use the Diamonds for other stuff, due to their smaller size. Per the gain numbers, the Tram should work better than the X50A and it does for me.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Ditto on the TRAMS, people give them a bad rap, but I have used 2 for years without issues. I have found them to be the equal of other amateur brands.

prcguy

I'm an antenna snob if you haven't figured that out yet and purchased the 8ft and 17ft versions of the Tram dual band antennas. One lives near Boston and is frozen now and the other lives near Dallas, TX where it gets baked in the sun. So far so good and I don't see any difference in quality or range compared to my much more expensive Comet versions.

Home Depot has about the cheapest prices I've seen on these and its very handy to just order one and run down the street to pick it up.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I actually bought 1,came to my door yesterday.put it up. Checked swr very low numbers on 2 meter,about 1.5 to 1 on 70 cm.
I was able to hit the 2 repeaters 50 miles from me with my power turned down to 25 watts from 50.
Now lets hear whats bad about them? You just cant say they are bad without justifacation

NC1

I have had the 1481 for about 10 years so far. I had heard that it had an issue with either letting water in or excessive condensation, and sure enough I had some water in mine after only a couple months. Letting it all dry out, reassembling it, and then sealing the two connections seems to have solved the problem I had. Also, you really need to pay attention to the connection point and seal that very good as well or your coax cable will fill up with water. I only found that out after wondering why the inside PL259 was dripping behind the radio.

Lesson learned here - seal it up and check everything once a year. I am very happy with the way the 1481 performs but wish they had paid attention a little more with their leaking problem and also wish they had done a little more at the connection to shed the water away. Keep it maintained and sealed good and you won't have any issues. Would I buy one again? Yes, without a doubt.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I actually bought 1,came to my door yesterday.put it up. Checked swr very low numbers on 2 meter,about 1.5 to 1 on 70 cm.
I was able to hit the 2 repeaters 50 miles from me with my power turned down to 25 watts from 50.

That's about what I'm seeing with an old Diamond discone I scored for free that's installed at my house for about 10 years. I've also got a Telewave ANT280 at work ($1,800.00) that perform similarly. The difference between all these antennas is the construction and durability.

The manufacturer of the antenna, if it's designed correctly, isn't going to impact initial performance. What will make the difference is how well it lasts after being up in the air for 10 or more years.

Out of the box, I'd expect the Tram/Browning antennas to work correctly.
What I'll want to see is how they are doing after a decade or so in use, exposed to storms, elements, etc. But I've had Motorola branded antennas fail in a few years. It's about how well the antennas are built and how they last in real world environments.

Now lets hear whats bad about them? You just cant say they are bad without justifacation

Cheap Chinese Antennas. Fine for hobbyists.
Important part is, if it works for you, it works. Nothing at all wrong with that we all have budget limitations and make the best decisions we can. If you found something that works for you and fits your budget, then great!

Having talked to the Tram/Browning guys at trade shows, they were not very knowledgeable about their antennas. They appear to be primarily a marketing company that has purchased rights to use the "American" brand names and stuck them on low tier/knock off Chinese built antennas. The Tram and Browning names were reputable radio manufacturers back 40+ years ago. It's not the same companies now, though.

W5lz

If Home Depot wants to sell antennas, good for them. There isn't one here so it doesn't make much difference to me.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
As for moisture in a hollow antenna anybody should know to seal the joints,i did. Froom cb days i got an antron a 99 20 years old.i sealed it and never a problem,severl i know didnt n had trouble. Those that sealed em are still working fine

prcguy

Same here, I gooped up the joints of both Tram dual band antennas I got, so there will be no leaking there. I don't remember if there is a drain hole and that is always a good idea. Even in a good sealed enclosure, moist air can slowly come and go over temperature sometimes leaving the moisture behind.

As for moisture in a hollow antenna anybody should know to seal the joints,i did. Froom cb days i got an antron a 99 20 years old.i sealed it and never a problem,severl i know didnt n had trouble. Those that sealed em are still working fine

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Same here, I gooped up the joints of both Tram dual band antennas I got, so there will be no leaking there. I don't remember if there is a drain hole and that is always a good idea. Even in a good sealed enclosure, moist air can slowly come and go over temperature sometimes leaving the moisture behind.
Yes it has a drain hole. I also use that heat shrink wire cover on my pl 259s,best sealer for your coax[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
In another thread I posted sweep results on the Browning BR-137 vs the Larsen all-band antenna. Both swept pretty much the same across the spectrum.

I wouldn't trust the Browning in a mission critical environment, but once I sealed up the hole in the spring stud (to stop water ingress into the base) it has performed well for me.

W5lz

Most antennas are sealed "good enough" for typical/"normal" use. If you live in sort of 'worse' weather conditions then I'd certainly think about it. Sealing an antenna in the desert is not as probable as in a tropical environment. Can sealing an antenna be detrimental? Yes, it can be. Not very likely, but certainly possible. How do you tell if you should or not? Experience is the 'best' teacher'! Also the hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.