Home made kinda 800mhz Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8zdf

Ok guys I have a mfj 1/4 2meter and 70cm meter dual band antenna for moble that is mag mount. I took this antenna and cut it down leaving the coil in it too 13" 3/4inch. Now i know its tuned for 2meter 440 but seems to work really well on 800mhz.. I got the height from the larsen 800 antenna. So being i tried to make this and is working decent should i still get a the larsen or and antenx brand 800 that i know is cut for or make for 800 and know that is getting 3db gain. The thing im worried about is spending the money and not having it work anybetter. Then being stuck with an extra antenna.

Anybody got any input on this. Thanks. 73 kc8zdf

k9rzz

If you're happy with the performance of what you've got, then I don't see why you'd need to buy something else. Of course, the rule is: "you can never have too many antennas" !

John K9RZZ

hsdtech

I agree. If it works for you, use it. I love making my own antennas and having them work well.
In fact, I just made an 800MHz antenna for my scanners from an old analog cell phone antenna. Works just as good as the R.S. 800MHz antenna for the 800MHz band. It even picks up UHF and VHF pretty darn good as well and it looks pretty cool too!

Status
Not open for further replies.