Home Patrol 1 and Bose Mini Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

bratsch

I am amazed by how much more volume and better sound there is hooking up the bose speaker, I have it hooked up through the line out, and it is loud....I have the speaker turned down on the scanner... I like !!! Plus I can use the speaker for listening to music when needed from the I-Pad.... Great little speaker Bose's makes...

rwier

Hi Bud,
I did an Amazon search for "Bose Sound Link Mini " and got a boat load of options. Many had a "Bluetooth" option. Could you provide a Model# or Amazon#? Thanks for the tip!
(This is a repeat of a response on the Uniden.com Forum)

Xray

rwier

A big thank you to both Xray and bratsch. Amazingly, both of your touts are Amazon #1 Best Sellers in their respective categories!!!

I may have to get one-of-each, lol.

rwier

Rwier...

I have tried a few other cheap speakers, but I have come to the conclusion you do get what you pay for... The speaker is expensive, and it is blue tooth so can be used for multiple uses for my household. Fits really nice and looks great on my table next to my scanner.

Amazon.com : Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker : Electronics

I just thought of something interesting. Does the bluetooth system have enough power to transmit/receive from the scanner to a speaker 20 feet away (straight line) through an interior residential wall. If so, it could replace one HP-1.

rwier

Now let's go to the HP-1 end of the system. Could the device that attaches to the scanner be described as a 3.5 mm Bluetooth Adapter, or (even better) a 3.5mm Bluetooth Stereo Dongle?

bratsch

There is no blue tooth in the hp-1... Not sure what your looking for... I have my speaker hooked up through with a wire to the 3.5mm Speaker end to the line out 2.5mm on the hp-1.... The blue tooth speaker Bose's is just nice clear sound,( I will not be returning this speaker) it will connect to your blue tooth devices and can be used while connected to the HP-1...

rwier

There is no blue tooth in the hp-1... Not sure what your looking for... I have my speaker hooked up through with a wire to the 3.5mm Speaker end to the line out 2.5mm on the hp-1.... The blue tooth speaker Bose's is just nice clear sound,( I will not be returning this speaker) it will connect to your blue tooth devices and can be used while connected to the HP-1...

Yes, I understood the "wired" part, but somehow I got the impression that the HP-1 also could be "turned into" a Bluetooth device by the attachment of an adapter or dongle. Searching for the such on Amazon, I turned up:

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

If one of these could transmit the sound from the HP-1, my next question was as to the distance apart that the radio and the speaker could be deployed in a residence. I see now that I would need a 2.5mm anyway. I'll try a search for that also.

Thanks,
Robin

rwier

A 2.5mm search for the same is a no go. A third item would be necessary, a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

bratsch

Look at trianglecables.com for your adapters .... I buy from them.... cheap and never have problems with anything not working....

Xray

I've had them both side by side, bose of course has high appeal for audiophiles and it is a great unit.
Volume level is about equal, they both are surprisingly loud for such relatively small speakers. Bose has a bit better clarity, roar a bit more thump - None of which are really factors for listening to radio traffic.
Roar has gobs of features compared to bose, some very handy some not. I like the fact that it will accept up to a 32 gb mini SD card, with all that music on a card you don't even really need the bluetooth, plus it has a recording ability, not sure if it would record traffic through the AUX jack. Also acts as a charging source for cell phones ect, can't go wrong with either but I think this thing will cause bose to drop their price on the mini, it would appear you get more for less with the roar.

Xray

1st time in the field [and keep in mind thats the primary use for me] and a bad problem manifested itself.
Scanner kept hanging up on many airshow frequencies, got to the point where I at first started locking them out, but there were so many being locked out I figured whats the use ?
So during the show I just put it on the airboss freq and kept it there, during the Tbird performance I put it on the most active flying freq ,,, Sounded great, I actually had 3 or 4 people come up after the show and thank me for the audio, saying they have never heard anything like that before and had no idea the pilots chattered like that during the performance.

At this point I wasn't even sure if my Alinco DJX2000 was just dying or it was something else so I hooked my BCD396XT, which I had on my hip hooked to a smaller speaker and had worked without a problem, up to it and it did the same thing, kept hanging up on freqs when connected.

So I can only conclude that the bluetooth interferes with radio reception ... Not sure if anything can be done about it as I don't think it can be turned off.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Bluetooth broadcasts are low-power, but if they are close enough to the scanner, or there is RF leakage from the speaker to the scanner through the audio cables, it could cause the scanner to act up.

Xray

For sure caused mine to act up to the point where it could not scan.
Didn't specifically test it [yet] but I'm pretty sure its through the cable, as I was often in close proximity to it with my other scanner and it didn't start acting up until I plugged it in.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I wonder if putting a ferrite choke on the cable would reduce or solve the problem.

Xray

Not a bad idea, I wonder if they make them for cables that small

Status
Not open for further replies.