Home Patrol 1 + BC-GPSK =

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Fun scanning.

Got an HP-1 RAM Mount and the GPS module yesterday and promptly installed them in my car. Went for a mini road trip this morning into southwest Michigan to test everything out. I'll admit that I was skeptical about GPS scanning at first, but I can now say that I am a true believer.

It was so nice to be able to turn the scanner on, plug the GPS puck into the HP-1 and let it do it's thing. It flawlessly tracked me and tuned systems on and off while traveling along the interstate. Didn't have to worry about favorite lists or anything.

I'm going to be making quite a few trips to downstate IN starting next month, and now with the GPS puck, my road trips will be much more pleasurable.

:)

CommLt

Feed Provider
I have made the drive twice from San Diego area to Dayton, Ohio and it was a great experience. It was strange seeing it reload the database by itself the first few times. Happy motoring/scanning.

wbswetnam

I've taken my HP-1 + GPS puck on a few road trips, too. It's the ultimate in plug-n-play scanning.

The only problem I've had is having the HP-1 lock up on telemetry units, especially in construction zones. It's a bit dicey driving along while selecting the channel, then "avoid", then "ok" then unselecting the channel so then it'll stop the lock up on that channel. Don't worry UPMAN I won't try to sue Uniden if I have an accident!

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I have made the drive twice from San Diego area to Dayton, Ohio and it was a great experience. It was strange seeing it reload the database by itself the first few times. Happy motoring/scanning.

Wait, which part was great- San Diego or Dayton? :D

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear you are enjoying the set-up! I've recently gone back to using a HP-1 & BC-GPSK for mobile/portable after focusing on the 536 and 436 these past few months... Now I want another HP-1 just to keep in my main office!

My next move will be wiring the Garmin 18x directly to the HP-1 to avoid the extra cabling and power supply for the BC-GPSK. That will greatly simplify the cable situation.

cognetic

I_am_Alpha1

N i c e...I have a guy wanting to sell me 100 garmin gps 18x. I asked last night if anyone was interested in them and only one person replied. Too bad, would have been a good deal. I'm using a garmin e-map on mine. Got tired of entering zip codes every hour or so on trips. Dodge? Just kidding--looks great.

JamesO

I just installed my RAM windshield mount yesterday. Posted pictures here in the Tavern today.

I have a Garmin 18x serial unit I snagged on ebay about 6 months ago for around $40.

I have used the GPS scanning on my HP1E on a trip from DC to NY and back. Worked pretty good. I am going to be putting about 30 hours seat time over 8 states in mid Aug so I will be using my HP1E again.

The windshield mount makes it very easy to see and lock things out.

I really wish the database would have the State designated in for each Site or System. It is hard when driving in new areas, especially in the North East where there are bunches of small Towns and Burroughs that you are not familiar with. Also it would be really nice to be able to easily lock out States when you leave a state so you do not have to continue to listen to the State(s) you are not longer in.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Guess I should include a pic of the GPS puck, huh? LOL. This isn't its permanent location; going to move it to the passenger side corner of windshield.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I just installed my RAM windshield mount yesterday. Posted pictures here in the Tavern today.

I have a Garmin 18x serial unit I snagged on ebay about 6 months ago for around $40.

I have used the GPS scanning on my HP1E on a trip from DC to NY and back. Worked pretty good. I am going to be putting about 30 hours seat time over 8 states in mid Aug so I will be using my HP1E again.

The windshield mount makes it very easy to see and lock things out.

I really wish the database would have the State designated in for each Site or System. It is hard when driving in new areas, especially in the North East where there are bunches of small Towns and Burroughs that you are not familiar with. Also it would be really nice to be able to easily lock out States when you leave a state so you do not have to continue to listen to the State(s) you are not longer in.

I saw your pictures. That looks like a sturdy windshield mount. I thought about getting one when I decided to do the whole GPS thing, but decided to go with the RAM floor mount instead. RAM makes some good stuff, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.