Home Patrol-1 Frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
How can I tell what frequencies will be downloaded to my Home Patrol-1 Radio from the RR database for my zip code. 70058. Will the entire LWIN Trunk System be downloaded?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I think you misunderstand how the Home Patrol works. It already has all the frequencies and talk groups in the radio to begin with, unless it is a type of system that the HP-1 cannot monitor (Open Sky, LTR-Passport, etc.) Granted that the source is the RR Database, but the HP-1 never connects to the database directly.

In other words, if you enter your zip code, the radio will use that as a GPS center point and look for all systems and conventional frequencies within that area.

vinzep491

So just to add on to what loumagg stated, if you see the system or frequencies in the RR database, its already going to be loaded on your HP1's memory card.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
Semantics

I think you misunderstand how the Home Patrol works. It already has all the frequencies and talk groups in the radio to begin with, unless it is a type of system that the HP-1 cannot monitor (Open Sky, LTR-Passport, etc.) Granted that the source is the RR Database, but the HP-1 never connects to the database directly.

In other words, if you enter your zip code, the radio will use that as a GPS center point and look for all systems and conventional frequencies within that area.

Doesn't the Home Patrol use the RR database to download to their sentinel program to load the data into the scanner, therefore it is RR's database. When there are database updates available to the Home Patrol isn't it because the RR database changed and new data is therefore available to be downloaded to the sentinel program and therefore the Home Patrol scanner.

My original question was: When I input my zip code (70058) what specific frequencies and talk groups will be available to my specific unit for my specific zip code from all the data (regardless of where it comes from (SEMANTICS). The RR database has hundreds and hundreds of frequencies and talk groups sites shown, I am only interested if the ones that are in my area (zip code).

Therefore, I will ask my original question again, How can I tell what frequencies will be available on my Home Patrol scanner for me to monitor for zip code 70058.

I am sorry if this seems like I am not grateful for your replies, but your reply did not answer my question. Thanks.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Therefore, I will ask my original question again, How can I tell what frequencies will be available on my Home Patrol scanner for me to monitor for zip code 70058.

The HP-1 will have everything in the nation that the RR database has in it. What you can pick up from your zip code depends on what range that you tell it to look for. A 50-mile range will obviously give you more than a 10-mile range.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
Frequencies and Trunk Systems

Could the answer to what frequencies and systems I will hear be so simple as to be the ones that are in range of my Home Patrol Scanner.

McK46

Premium Subscriber
Boxalarm187, Thank you for your reply. It seems like I came up with the same answer at the same time. I guess I should have thought about my own question a little longer. Again, Thank you for a straight forward answer to a (silly question). I hope I can count on you in the future. Thanks.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Could the answer to what frequencies and systems I will hear be so simple as to be the ones that are in range of my Home Patrol Scanner.

Yes, as long as the frequencies aren't encrypted or an un-monitorable digital format (ProVoice, etc).

EDIT: Looks like you and I were typing at the same time, glad I could help.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber

Well, I don't have one, but that is pretty well what I understand the adds and specs say, except that you get to choose the range. Seems pretty clear to me.

You will hear the frequencies and systems that are on the HP1's database (updated from time to time from the RR database) and are within the range you tell it to use from where it thinks you currently are, up to it's maximum allowed range. If you connect it to a compatible GPS and use it in your car you can imagine a circle the size of the specified range that moves with your car at it's center as you drive.

rwier

And a quote from your original: "How can I tell what frequencies will be downloaded to my Home Patrol-1 Radio from the RR database for my zip code. 70058."

The answer to the original question is technical in nature and can probably only be answered definitely by UPMan.

The answer to the second ("hear" instead of "download") can only be answered by you and the radio.

Example: If you listened (to "hear") in your 1st floor apt (1st test) and then went up on the roof (let's say 4 floors up)(2nd test) the number of channels/frequencies received (hearing) might increase by a factor of 10 to 100 times.

rwier

Follow up: Ok, I decided to make a real life experiment. I went out and brought my HP-1(E) in from my vehicle to the house, hooked it up, and did something that I have never even considered doing before (owned over a year).

1) I choose to enter my location as Zip Code 85053
2) I choose to use the entire HPDB onboard the radio.
3) I choose to open all available “Service Types”.
4) I choose to set the “Range” to the maximum setting of “30.0” miles

The radio informs me that I have chosen to scan 2261 individual frequencies. There is no easy way for me to see a list of these 2261 frequencies. There is also no reason for me to do so. Since I have lived at the same location for more than 30 years, and in the same community for 71 years, I know that there are only about 40 of these frequencies that I would like to scan at once.

As an experiment, I go back to the “Menu” and change the “Range” to “0.00” miles. The number of scanned channels drops to 1511. Now I will try another experiment:

1) I choose to enter my location as Lat/Long

The radio informs me that I have chosen to scan 2261 individual frequencies. As an experiment, I go back to the “Menu” and change the “Range” to “0.00” miles. The number of scanned channels drops to 1511. Same as Zip, hmnn? Now I will try another experiment:

1) I choose to enter my location as “City”

The radio informs me that I have chosen to scan 2270 individual frequencies. As an experiment, I go back to the “Menu” and change the “Range” to “0.00” miles. The number of scanned channels drops to 1513. At least a difference, lol.

Ok, now I/we know, lol! Now for a personal opinion that is completely irrelevant to anything, lol:

I think anyone, in a stationary location, that is not at a strange unknown place (like when travelling to a new, unexpected location) that uses the whole HPDB along with either the Zip, Geo, or City choice as a way to control the radios output, is confessing to an extreme lack of imagination, extreme naiveté, or some other worse mental condition (the kind that can’t be changed).

All of the above, and my words in any previous responses to this thread, should not in any way be construed as a statement against the HP-1/HP-1(E) scanners. If a new/better scanner does not popup on the market real soon, I will be getting a second HP-1(E).

Last edited:

McK46

Premium Subscriber
rweir, I want to thank you for going the extra distance, you are my kind of person. My Home Patrol-1 will be delivered tomorrow, January 5. I like the different tests that you performed and I will try the same on my scanner. In retrospect, my original question was asked without really using my own brain to analyze it before asking it. I will try to ask more intelligent questions in the future. Thank you for your help and I hope I can count on you in the future for any questions I may have. Are you using the antennae that came with the Home Patrol or a different one, if so which one?

rwier

rweir, I want to thank you for going the extra distance, you are my kind of person. My Home Patrol-1 will be delivered tomorrow, January 5. I like the different tests that you performed and I will try the same on my scanner. In retrospect, my original question was asked without really using my own brain to analyze it before asking it. I will try to ask more intelligent questions in the future. Thank you for your help and I hope I can count on you in the future for any questions I may have. Are you using the antennae that came with the Home Patrol or a different one, if so which one?

Hey, McK!

I didn't notice you were an actual buyer/owner, lol. Will answer all in depth (I know of no other way, lol). Will post about my (real life) antenna experience/experiments with the HP-1(E) tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rob

OCO

There is a still a semantics issue here... Uniden refers to "Talkgroups" as "Channels". On a trunked system, talkgroups do NOT equate to frequencies. The frequencies are contained in the SIte information for a trunked system. As an example, I can edit one of the large trunked systems to remove most of the sites and if the Channels (Talkgroups) are set up as covering statewide, I can still have the HP1 tell me it's loading 1600 "Channels". Now here's the hook - it is not scanning 1600 frequencies, it''s scanning the 25 or so frequencies that are in that system's sites, within the range specified. If it hits an active trunked frequency, it then will then look at the trunking data and display what the Channel (talkgroup) is. IF you are setting the system to use Location, it does trim the number of Channels that it will lock and display on - which means that it will see activity on a site frequency, then check to see if it is within spec'd range and if not skip. If it is within range, it will display the Channel and play the audio.

The best system I've found for reviewing what I'm going to get loaded for a location, is to within Sentinel edit the profile's Favorites page to set all of the Favorites check boxes to "off" or "no", so that no Favorites are set to download or scan, then make sure the checkbox in the upper left hand corner is set to" Monitor entire database". Set your desired location and range on the Location tab and on the Services tab, select a service or all of them you want to monitor. Finally, save the profile and on the Sentinel toolbar under Edit, select "Add Channels on Range" It will create a Favorite with everything within the range and service type you've selected. You can then review and edit that Favorite at your leisure... I've used this to quickly set up Service specific Favorites for a location (like just "Utility")....

Note I set up an extra profile just for doing this..

Last edited:

McK46

Premium Subscriber
OCO, Thanks for your response.

The best system I've found for reviewing what I'm going to get loaded for a location, is to within Sentinel edit the profile's Favorites page to set all of the Favorites check boxes to "off" or "no", so that no Favorites are set to download or scan, then make sure the checkbox in the upper left hand corner is set to" Monitor entire database". Set your desired location and range on the Location tab and on the Services tab, select a service or all of them you want to monitor. Finally, save the profile and on the Sentinel toolbar under Edit, select "Add Channels on Range" It will create a Favorite with everything within the range and service type you've selected. You can then review and edit that Favorite at your leisure... I've used this to quickly set up Service specific Favorites for a location (like just "Utility")....

Note I set up an extra profile just for doing this.

I look forward to using the above method to improve my scanner listening enjoyment. Thanks again.

OCO

Note that the state and province wide systems throw a really big wrinkle in the location based selection process... I can set range at "0" and along with getting the Michigan statewide systems, get Ontario systems that overlap - due to the size of most states/provinces a circular coverage area is going to go way beyond it's boundaries..One of the reason I like creating those Favorites with ACOR tool - I can quickly edit out the extraneous systems...

rwier

......................The best system I've found for reviewing what I'm going to get loaded for a location, is to within Sentinel edit the profile's Favorites page to set all of the Favorites check boxes to "off" or "no", so that no Favorites are set to download or scan, then make sure the checkbox in the upper left hand corner is set to" Monitor entire database". Set your desired location and range on the Location tab and on the Services tab, select a service or all of them you want to monitor. Finally, save the profile and on the Sentinel toolbar under Edit, select "Add Channels on Range" It will create a Favorite with everything within the range and service type you've selected. You can then review and edit that Favorite at your leisure... I've used this to quickly set up Service specific Favorites for a location (like just "Utility")....

Note I set up an extra profile just for doing this..

Absolutely. It's just that your "quickly set up" equals my "no easy way", 2xlol.

OCO

Rob:
You wouldn't be looking at 2261 frequencies ... In Sentinel, you'd be looking at the System/Department/Channels selected..Easy to look at in the Favorites editor in the standard tree format. Again, unless you're in the middle of LA or NYC, and have that number of conventional systems, you're getting a count that's probably more Talkgroups than site frequencies anyway...:D

I realize that, as with any tool, what looks like a solution to one person can look like a problem to others.. I spent quite a bit of time just figuring out how the ACOR edit worked and what the relationship was to the profile, but it's pretty quick now... I do want to load Sentinel on an XP system though, as I wasn't getting good results on a friend's XP based laptop..

rwier

Rob:
You wouldn't be looking at 2261 frequencies ... In Sentinel, you'd be looking at the System/Department/Channels selected..Easy to look at in the Favorites editor in the standard tree format. Again, unless you're in the middle of LA or NYC, and have that number of conventional systems, you're getting a count that's probably more Talkgroups than site frequencies anyway...:D

I realize that, as with any tool, what looks like a solution to one person can look like a problem to others.. I spent quite a bit of time just figuring out how the ACOR edit worked and what the relationship was to the profile, but it's pretty quick now... I do want to load Sentinel on an XP system though, as I wasn't getting good results on a friend's XP based laptop..

Hi OCO,

Yes, I agree to all, but remember the OP's original question:

"How can I tell what frequencies will be downloaded to my Home Patrol-1 Radio from the RR database for my zip code. 70058. Will the entire LWIN Trunk System be downloaded?"

One can't give the same answer to a perspective owner as you would to an actual owner/possessor. But then, an owner/possessor probably would not ask the question, he would probably just review the radio's actual activities/functions/features as you describe. That's why I was surprised to hear he owned the radio. He asked the question while the radio was still in route, and the thread continued after the radio's arrival. Maybe that caused "some"of the "semantics" snafu, lol.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

OCO

Rob: (slapping my forehead)
LWIN is one of the statewides with all TGs set with a range of covering the entire state, so you're right - the answer to the OP's question is, yes, it'll select everything for LWIN. I keep forgetting also, the ACOR selection for trunked systems is based on TGs only, it drags all of the sites with it......

The way things work once you start using it is still the same, based on location, it'll still only use the Sites in range , so the scanning speed shouldn't be all that bad - the alternative is to strip sites that are out of range out of the Favorite..(which was easier when County was appended to Site name in the HPDB, now I have to go back to RR to sort out the sites I want)..

Status
Not open for further replies.