HP-1: Home Patrol 1 problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta_liu

I have the Home Patrol 1..I was trying to update the database as I usually do every few months, however when I plugged my USB cable into my computer it no longer detects the ESN number of the scanner...Why would this happen?..

sfd119

Have you tried a known, good cable? Have you tried a different USB port??

ta_liu

HELP HP1 Problem....

Good day and thanks for the reply...

When I plug the cable into the HP-1 and the other into the USB port of my laptop, the HP-1 screen says "USB cable detected" and it gives me the option to choose either Mass storage or serial port, as the instruictions state I choose "mass storage" and the HP-1 screen displays "Mass storage" I think that would indicate the cable is good???...however after plugging in to my laptop and when I try to update the HP database via sentinel or my favorate places via Arc patrol software, both software packages no longer detect the ESN on my scanner, therefore I am no longer able to write any updates to the HP-1...do I need an update?...I have firmware v2.0 installed on the HP-1

If it helps the last update I preformed was about 6 months ago and evertyhing worked fine...

I should probabably just use the HP-1 it as a paperweight at this point

Any additional suggestions? or should I just toss the scanner out the window?..

Help!!!!

sfd119

That is kind of weird. Got another computer you can try it on per chance?

ta_liu

Yes I have installed the Sentinal software on my desktop computer and I still have the samer problem , it does not detect the ESN on the HP-1....It looks like there is something wrong with the scanner itself..

any additional advice would be appreciated

phask

Premium Subscriber
Well if you are like me - a lot could have changed on the PC in 6 months:)

I'd pull the card and try in a reader, or try a new card.

Hell , there are a ton of things to try ...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can try doing a "Clear User Data" function from Sentinel. In the pop-up window, select "Show All Drives." This will restore the database and other data to the mSD card. You'll need to rewrite your favorites lists back to the HP-1 after (this function does not affect any of the data in Sentinel, only what is on the HP-1's mSD).

PIFD

Premium Subscriber
I need to try what upman recomended once I get back from my trip.. my home patrol hasn't been updated in months and it also won't accept the new updated frequency data base..it connects and says its upto date yet shows the old out dated frequncies. I had to manually edit 15 vhf channels...lol. not happy about this.. I expected more from this new scanner type.

WayneDoo

Having an issue similar to this except Sentinel does not see my HP-1 at all. Never has so the Clear user data would not be an option for a fix. Frustrating indeed.How can I get the Sd card back to it's original configuration. I do not have the option of choosing Mass or Serial mode as well. When fired up the HP just tells me it has an SD card failure and to remove power for 1 minute and then if it persists to use the method you describe here but I am unable to even get to this point. Disappointing as this in a one day old scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Having an issue similar to this except Sentinel does not see my HP-1 at all. Never has so the Clear user data would not be an option for a fix. Frustrating indeed.How can I get the Sd card back to it's original configuration. I do not have the option of choosing Mass or Serial mode as well. When fired up the HP just tells me it has an SD card failure and to remove power for 1 minute and then if it persists to use the method you describe here but I am unable to even get to this point. Disappointing as this in a one day old scanner.

From all the other threads you have going on The Home Patrol forums, and the Yahoo group, it seems most certain you need a new SD card.

If you're not using the wall wart to power your Home Patrol, be sure you are using a fresh set of batteries. Some read/write functions to the card may be suspended with low batteries.

To get to the mass storage mode when the Home Patrol gives you a card error and then shuts off, With the scanner still off, connect it with the USB cable to the computer first with Sentinel running. Then turn the scanner on... it will go right into the Mass Storage mode. BUT.... If the card is still corrupt, it still may not show in "display all drives".

Replace the card with a new one, and start at the "clear user data" step again. All the necessary files will be written to the card after the clear user data step finishes, and you "write" from Sentinel to the Home Patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.