HP-1: Home Patrol-1 vs. SDR Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Forum Reader's, I own a Uniden Home Patrol-1 that is programmed correctly (to the best of my knowledge), and I recently began using an SDR radio. My question is: Why is my SDR radio receiving 100% of the transmission's on Public Safety frequency 155.010.000MHz in Pittsburg, Kansas, while my Home Patrol-1, locked on the same frequency, fail's to receive 100% of the transmission's? I purchased the Home Patrol-1 from a Fire Chief on eBay who claimed the Home Patrol-1 function's perfectly. After receiving the Home Patrol-1, I purchased the Extreme Upgrade in which I have not utilized yet, because I have a mental disability and I have a problem with reading, memory and comprehension. I'm speculating that the Home Patrol-1 is free of functionality defect's. The Firmware and Database are updated regularly. Would anyone please explain how a $10 FM dongle can perform better that a $300 Home Patrol-1? Thank you, Mark D. Miller. KE0MQQ

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The first question would be whether the radios are connected to the same antenna. If not, then what you're seeing probably has more to do with the performance of the respective antennas at 155.010MHz than anything else. The stock antennas that come with scanners are OK, but nothing special, and can easily be outperformed by an aftermarket antenna tuned ot a specific band.

marksmith

If you are not using a PL tone on the SDR, and the Homepatrol is programmed with a PL tone, then you are limiting your reception on the Homepatrol to just that PL tone.

Other than difference in antennas, I would think this is the cause. Eliminate the PL tone code or just change it to a PL search mode to hear everything.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.