HP-2: Home Patrol 2 Extreme Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

saboudreau

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD996P2, BCD325P2 and BC125AT and I'm considering the Home Patrol 2 with the Extreme Package.
Is this still a good unit giving it age, any rumors of a Home Patrol 3?
The main use for it would be for discovery, and logging purpose while on mobile.

Any opinions on the Extreme Package?

Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The HP2 is a good scanner for what it's supposed to do. The technology has changed, thus, the X36 and SDS scanners.

There are no "rumors" of an HP3. Uniden moved on. They support it but apparently they're not doing anything to improve it.

I have the extreme package but don't use it. I use my HP2 as a backup to my other scanners (436 and SDS100).

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
I use my HP2 with extreme package mobil and love it. No problems with the local simalcast system. The touch screen and large display are excellent for mobile use, easy to see and operate. The various functions in the advanced mode are very useful when tracking down new sites. The closest thing to a rumor is that at one time Butel listed software as being for the SDS100, SDS200 & SDS500. The SDS500 is no longer shown though.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
My HP-2 has the extreme upgrade. When I was using it for the majority of my listening, I made much use of the trunking and conventional discovery feature. Also, being able to create and/or modify systems directly on the scanner (no need to hook up to a PC) is another feature I like with the upgrade. It was well worth $50. :)

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Can the extreme upgrade be added in the field, or does it need to be sent in?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can the extreme upgrade be added in the field, or does it need to be sent in?

If your Home Patrol is up to date on the firmware, the Extreme Upgrade is already in the scanner. All you need to do is purchase the digital key to unlock it. The key is simply entered through the scanner's menu system... just takes a minute or so.

Purchase the key at my.uniden.com

shoe8ooty

If you buy the "Extreme Upgrade" Can you upgrade the firmware for the hp2 with out having to hook the scanner to the PC, & if so will it just automatically upgrade the firmware like a cell phone when ever there is a up date available ? or will I still have to manually update it firmware & just not have to hook up to a PC, just upgrade the firmware on the HP2 scanner it self ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you buy the "Extreme Upgrade" Can you upgrade the firmware for the hp2 with out having to hook the scanner to the PC, & if so will it just automatically upgrade the firmware like a cell phone when ever there is a up date available ? or will I still have to manually update it firmware & just not have to hook up to a PC, just upgrade the firmware on the HP2 scanner it self ?
The "Extreme Upgrade" activates features that are in the current firmware, but not enabled. Adding the Extreme Upgrade does not require connecting the scanner to a PC. There have been no updates issued for the HP-2. It does what it is designed to do, and did not need a firmware tweak to correct an unforeseen issue.

Database updates do require connecting the HP-2 to a PC that has the Sentinel software installed. Sentinel then retrieves the update and incorporates it into the software's database. You then can use Sentinel to write the update and/or any Favorites list changes or additions to the scanner. It is not an automatic process, and neither the software nor the scanner will update themselves automatically when connected to the internet.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's not likely that there will be any more firmware updates. Uniden feels they have probably done all they can for both the HP1 and HP2. I have both models and it's been years since either's firmware was updated because there's nothing left to change or improve.

shoe8ooty

Thank you so much for the replies back on my question, they are very helpful info on the HP2 to know & once again thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.