Home Patrol 2 issue with Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

My local Law Enforcement, Fire and EMS for Henry County, and Napoleon, Ohio has made the switch to the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System.

I have successfully programmed my BCD325P2 to receive all the frequencies and talk groups, but noticed that it has to be in a certain location on my end table to be able to register a signal on the signal indicator.

Today, I programmed my Home Patrol 2 to receive all the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System. frequencies and talk groups, as well as the range and correct service types, then set it directly beside my BCD325P2 on my end table.

It did not register a signal on the signal indicator, or receive any traffic on it, while the BCD325P2 directly next to it continued to receive traffic.

Any suggestions what I need to do to get my Home Patrol 2 to receive the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System as well as my BCD325P2 does?

Greg43545

Where exactly are you located? What site(s) did you program?

I'm located in NW Ohio.

Henry County Fire and EMS, and Napoleon Police, Fire and EMS are now operating on the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System primary control channel of 771.70625 as well these channels: 771.71875, 772.13125, 772.14375, 772.63125, 772.64375, from a tower located in the Hamler, Ohio area which is about 10-12 miles from my location.

Their TGID's are as follows:

13758 County Fire / EMS Dispatching
13624 Countywide Operations ( 16-2 )
13632 Countywide Operations ( 16-3 )
13640 Countywide Operations ( 16-4 )
13648 Countywide Operations ( 16-5 )
13656 Countywide Operations ( 16-6 )
13664 Countywide Operations ( 16-7 )
13672 Countywide Operations ( 16-8 )
13680 Henry County Hospital ( 16-9 )
13688 Napoleon EMS ( 16-10 )
13696 Napoleon Fire Department ( 16-11 )
13704 Napoleon Alternate Channel ( 16-12 )
13712 Unassigned ( 16-13 )
13720 Unassigned ( 16-14 )
13728 Unassigned ( 16-15 )
13768 Napoleon Fire and EMS Dispatch
13778 Napoleon Police Dispatch

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I understand your in NW Ohio. But more specifically where. That will determine which site on the NWOPSRS you will receive better. The Fulton County site might carry Henry County traffic and have better reception from the northern part of Henry County. The Fulton County site is on the south side of Wauseon on SR 108. I have been logging pretty consistent Napoleon FD and PD traffic on the Lucas County simulcast site as well.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Do you happen to have the extreme update on the HP?

Upload your HPE file of the fav list. (You need to rename as a .txt file).

Greg43545

I understand your in NW Ohio. But more specifically where. That will determine which site on the NWOPSRS you will receive better. The Fulton County site might carry Henry County traffic and have better reception from the northern part of Henry County. I have been logging pretty consistent Napoleon FD and PD traffic on the Lucas County simulcast site as well.

My apology, I didn't understand what exactly you were asking for.

I'm located within the city limits of Napoleon, Ohio

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm located in NW Ohio.

Henry County Fire and EMS, and Napoleon Police, Fire and EMS are now operating on the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System primary control channel of 771.70625 as well these channels: 771.71875, 772.13125, 772.14375, 772.63125, 772.64375, from a tower located in the Hamler, Ohio area which is about 10-12 miles from my location.

Their TGID's are as follows:

13758 County Fire / EMS Dispatching
13624 Countywide Operations ( 16-2 )
13632 Countywide Operations ( 16-3 )
13640 Countywide Operations ( 16-4 )
13648 Countywide Operations ( 16-5 )
13656 Countywide Operations ( 16-6 )
13664 Countywide Operations ( 16-7 )
13672 Countywide Operations ( 16-8 )
13680 Henry County Hospital ( 16-9 )
13688 Napoleon EMS ( 16-10 )
13696 Napoleon Fire Department ( 16-11 )
13704 Napoleon Alternate Channel ( 16-12 )
13712 Unassigned ( 16-13 )
13720 Unassigned ( 16-14 )
13728 Unassigned ( 16-15 )
13768 Napoleon Fire and EMS Dispatch
13778 Napoleon Police Dispatch

Note that 10-12 miles is about the max distance you want to be from a 700Mhz site with a consumer radio. The antennas on the Hamler site appear to be mounted about 2/3 up the tower at roughly 200' AGL, so hopefully there is a closer site to your location. Or you might consider a Remtronics 800 antenna that works fairly well for 700, certainly better than stock. At least this is a multicast site, so you don't have to deal with simulcast issues.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I haven't but I can try that and see if it works any better, thanks.
I would definitely try this. I would also lock out the Lucas and Bowling Green sites (if programmed) to make sure they are not included in your scan. The Wauseon site looks like it also covers the Napoleon area.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
You are almost the same distance between the Henry County site, Fulton County site, and the Grand Rapids tower on the Lucas County Simulcast site. Both the Henry County and Fulton County sites have the same power but the Fulton County site shows the antenna is mounted higher than the Henry County site. If the Fulton County site doesn't work, I would try to program the Lucas County Simulcast system. The Grand Rapids tower has double tohe maximum ERP than the Henry County and Fulton County sites.

Greg43545

You are almost the same distance between the Henry County site, Fulton County site, and the Grand Rapids tower on the Lucas County Simulcast site. Both the Henry County and Fulton County sites have the same power but the Fulton County site shows the antenna is mounted higher than the Henry County site. If the Fulton County site doesn't work, I would try to program the Lucas County Simulcast system. The Grand Rapids tower has double tohe maximum ERP than the Henry County and Fulton County sites.

I will try that if the Fulton County site doesn't work thanks.

Greg43545

As per my original post ...

I have successfully programmed my BCD325P2 to receive all the frequencies and talk groups, but noticed that it has to be in a certain location on my end table to be able to register a signal on the signal indicator, or receive transmission traffic.

Then I programmed my Home Patrol 2 to receive all the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System. frequencies and talk groups, as well as the range and correct service types, and set the HP 2 directly beside my BCD325P2 on my end table.

The HP 2 did not register a signal on the signal indicator, or receive any traffic on it, while the BCD325P2 sitting directly next to it continued to receive traffic.

Why would the BCD325P2 work correctly, while the HP 2 - sitting directly beside it - not receive a signal nor a transmission?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'd hesitate programming the Lucas site because it introduces simulcast into the mix. I'd avoid that if possible.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
As per my original post ...

I have successfully programmed my BCD325P2 to receive all the frequencies and talk groups, but noticed that it has to be in a certain location on my end table to be able to register a signal on the signal indicator, or receive transmission traffic.

Then I programmed my Home Patrol 2 to receive all the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System. frequencies and talk groups, as well as the range and correct service types, and set the HP 2 directly beside my BCD325P2 on my end table.

The HP 2 did not register a signal on the signal indicator, or receive any traffic on it, while the BCD325P2 sitting directly next to it continued to receive traffic.

Why would the BCD325P2 work correctly, while the HP 2 - sitting directly beside it - not receive a signal nor a transmission?
They are different radio designs at the circuit level with different antenna systems, so I'm not surprised. When monitoring simulcast systems, (this system is mixed multicast and simulcast) it is not unusual to have two identical consumer radios sitting next to each other, and one is silent while the other works. Luckily, this system in your coverage area is not simulcast.

What we cannot verify is if the programming is correct. What you want to do is isolate the reception of the Northwest Ohio system to one site at a time. That way, you can easily compare what site works best for you at your monitoring location. Then, use ONLY that site.

Greg43545

They are different radio designs at the circuit level with different antenna systems, so I'm not surprised. When monitoring simulcast systems, (this system is mixed multicast and simulcast) it is not unusual to have two identical consumer radios sitting next to each other, and one is silent while the other works. Luckily, this system in your coverage area is not simulcast.

What we cannot verify is if the programming is correct. What you want to do is isolate the reception of the Northwest Ohio system to one site at a time. That way, you can easily compare what site works best for you at your monitoring location. Then, use ONLY that site.

I followed the program procedure described in the manual. So far nothing has worked.

Would I have the same issues of reception with the SDS 100 or 200 that I'm having with the HP 2?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I followed the program procedure described in the manual. So far nothing has worked.

Would I have the same issues of reception with the SDS 100 or 200 that I'm having with the HP 2?
The SDS100 / 200 are great radios. They are more modern / advanced than the radios you own, and are designed specifically to receive digital waveforms (particularly when transmitted in simulcast systems.) While the Northwest Ohio system in your receive footprint uses the P25P1 digital waveform, it is not simulcast. Theoretically, the radios you own *should* work satisfactorily. But with digital systems, receive location is a factor in how the radios work in the real world. This is why many people report no problems receiving a similar system to yours with radios identical to yours. You just may live in a bad location, and possibly nearby a source of interference.

At the very least, I would buy a Remtronix antenna to see if it will help before giving up. Even if you decided to buy a SDS100, I would still recommend the Remtronix.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Can you confirm that you are testing each site individually? Have you taken the radios on the road / gotten closer to a tower site to see if reception improves? If reception improves closer to the site, that would verify that your programming is correct, and suggests that the problem is where you live. The next step would be to improve your antenna situation with the Remtronix. An outdoor antenna should not be necessary to receive this system from the distance you report. If the Remtronix doesn't help, then you should consider the SDS100 / SDS200. Big chunk of change however.

Status
Not open for further replies.