Home-Patrol 2 on Fulton P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using a Home Patrol 2 to monitor Fulton County or Atlanta? I wanted something to mount in my car with better aesthetics than my SDS100 but the lag and missed transmissions on the HP2 are no good.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Anyone using a Home Patrol 2 to monitor Fulton County or Atlanta? I wanted something to mount in my car with better aesthetics than my SDS100 but the lag and missed transmissions on the HP2 are no good.

Does your HP2 actually work as well as your SDS100 on the Atlanta and Fulton County P25 simulcast systems? I can't imagine it does, but YMMV.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
Does your HP2 actually work as well as your SDS100 on the Atlanta and Fulton County P25 simulcast systems? I can't imagine it does, but YMMV.
Oh no.. No no no. Haha. It is a better form factor to car mount so I wanted to try it and didn't want to throw in the towel. I'll try out a G4 or G5 or maybe even build a mobile SDR setup. I have feel in love with how SDRtrunk can emit multiple transmissions at once.

Last edited:

DanRollman

Database Admin
Oh no.. No no no. Haha. It is a better form factor to car mount so I wanted to try it and didn't want to throw in the towel. I'll try out a G4 or G5 or maybe even build a mobile SDR setup. I have feel in love with how SDRtrunk can emit multiple transmissions at once.

Ok. I figured that, but sometimes people say a scanner I wouldn't have expected to work well, works fine for them. I used an HP2 in my car for a while in metro Atlanta and it was absolutely terrible. A Unication will work well. But I'd think your SDS works reasonably well too. But I understand the form factor concern.

Would be great if Unication made a mobile receiver, but given the primarily sell their devices as volunteer fire pagers, that probably doesn't fit the business model. Of course, they made that crazy (and crazy expensive) "tow truck mount" device, so they are trying to serve the 'mobile scanner' market a little bit.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I figured that, but sometimes people say a scanner I wouldn't have expected to work well, works fine for them. I used an HP2 in my car for a while in metro Atlanta and it was absolutely terrible. A Unication will work well. But I'd think your SDS works reasonably well too. But I understand the form factor concern.

Would be great if Unication made a mobile receiver, but given the primarily sell their devices as volunteer fire pagers, that probably doesn't fit the business model. Of course, they made that crazy (and crazy expensive) "tow truck mount" device, so they are trying to serve the 'mobile scanner' market a little bit.
With the advances in micro chip technology it blows my mind why Uniden hasn't really releases anything. SDRs are $30-50 and I believe can about do more than these $600 scanners. They also should make remote heads for the SDS line.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Here you go @e92dream
and

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
Here you go @e92dream
and
I like but I just wish it had a display.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I use a BTT as a tool on our system, used it to test our BDA at the government center and in our radio shop. No it isn't a lab grade piece of gear, but paired with a Surface pro it made for easy "walk test" tool to get a good idea of what our BDA is putting out. The price can't be beat. The support from the vendor is bar none the best ever.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
I use a BTT as a tool on our system, used it to test our BDA at the government center and in our radio shop. No it isn't a lab grade piece of gear, but paired with a Surface pro it made for easy "walk test" tool to get a good idea of what our BDA is putting out. The price can't be beat. The support from the vendor is bar none the best ever.
I wish somehow they had a small screen to at least display the current transmission. I know it will display in car if going through audio but I like to listen to scanner through an earpiece so I can still here music etc. Guess I'm trying to create a better Home Patrol-2.

cavitt

The HP2 has a poorly designed interior battery that will go out between one-to-two years of use making it useless in a mobile situation. I'd look elsewhere for a mobile solution.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The HP2 has a poorly designed interior battery that will go out between one-to-two years of use making it useless in a mobile situation. I'd look elsewhere for a mobile solution.
Definitely not the best charging circuit as it is based on a timer rather than sensing the charge level of the batteries. At least when they die, you can easily replace them as they are standard AA size NiMH cells (four of them). I would recommend setting the charging timer to the minimum time to help reduce the stress on the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.