Home Patrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaJimb

I have a question about the Home Patrol 2:

If you take the unit on a trip to a different location several hundred miles away from home and then enter the zip code at the new location, what becomes of the 'home' zip code data? Once you get back home do you re-enter your home zip code or was that data saved and you can retrieve it?

Thanks

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
you re-enter your home zip upon return...

Unless you are using favorite lists, there is really no "data" being saved.

VaJimb

you re-enter your home zip upon return...

Unless you are using favorite lists, there is really no "data" being saved.

Thanks

I had read that during the initial setup, you can enter your home zip code. It sounds like that zip is then 'saved' as a part of your home profile.

Not so much interested in saving the zip of where I'll be visiting, just being able to get back to my home freqs.

ChrisABQ

You're just reading from a different list. You can, however, create a home favorites list which would be more optimal for scanning.

marksmith

All you are doing is scanning a different set of records from the full database when you change zipcode. Nothing about any zipcode is saved anywhere.

For improved scanning, you should create a favorites list of those things that you are interested in listening to. Then this data is saved, including only what you want.

Full database with zipcode or GPS is fine for travel, but favorites list with or without GPS is the way to go normally.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What is saved is the geographic coordinates (latitude/longitude), but that is replaced any time you set a different location, either manually or using a GPS. So, in the OP's case, "just enter the home zip code again" is good advice.

VaJimb

Thanks to all

The other question I have is how to charge the batteries. The options discussed in the owners manual all leave the batteries in the unit. I believe I have a stand alone separate battery charger that can charge the batteries.

Is it OK to remove the batteries from the unit and charge over night?

Thanks

marksmith

Thanks to all

The other question I have is how to charge the batteries. The options discussed in the owners manual all leave the batteries in the unit. I believe I have a stand alone separate battery charger that can charge the batteries.

Is it OK to remove the batteries from the unit and charge over night?

Thanks
In my opinion the separate charger is the way to go. Especially if it charges the cells independently, and has sensors to stop charging when cells are charged as opposed to just a timer.

The charger in this radio is only a timer, and has no sensors to shut down when fully charged or if overheating, etc.

Use the radio as a radio, and don't put it at risk just to charge batteries. Use a device made specifically to charge batteries.

I only charge in the radio for very short periods of time when I have no charger available to me, when mobile, and just need to put a small charge on basically discharged batteries.

Mark

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
HP-2 Same radio, different question

Looks like I cannot save a dept channel, I.e. Like county fire to my favorites unless I do the extreme upgrade?

I do realize I can save individual channels to my favorite list but cannot save the department channel which would monitor all county FD channels

VaJimb

In my opinion the separate charger is the way to go. Especially if it charges the cells independently, and has sensors to stop charging when cells are charged as opposed to just a timer.

The charger in this radio is only a timer, and has no sensors to shut down when fully charged or if overheating, etc.

Use the radio as a radio, and don't put it at risk just to charge batteries. Use a device made specifically to charge batteries.

I only charge in the radio for very short periods of time when I have no charger available to me, when mobile, and just need to put a small charge on basically discharged batteries.

Mark

Thanks Mark

So it sounds like there is no down side to removing the batteries from the unit for charging. You don't lose any data or settings...??

marksmith

Thanks Mark

So it sounds like there is no down side to removing the batteries from the unit for charging. You don't lose any data or settings...??
Nope. All your data and settings are on the card. It reads all that when you fire the radio back up. The only thing you lose is the same thing you lose just turning it off... temporary avoids.

Mark

marksmith

Looks like I cannot save a dept channel, I.e. Like county fire to my favorites unless I do the extreme upgrade?

I do realize I can save individual channels to my favorite list but cannot save the department channel which would monitor all county FD channels
You definitely can enter and save any channel to your favorites without the extreme upgrade. You just have to do it in Sentinel, not directly on the radio. That's the only difference.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.