Home Patrol AC Charger Part # PS-0039

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi. My Home Patrol Scanner AC adapter is no longer working. Can I get a replacement for this at Best Buy or is the switcher in the Power Supply unique to Uniden?

My wife works with eqipment like this and she is concerned that without the switcher is needed so as not to blow up the scanner.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

By the way my wife called Uniden today about this and she was told that in order for the question they wanted $28.
Really Paul O. Lawyers and doctors probably make more $.
I know its capitalism and you guys want to make as much $ as possible but Really?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hi. My Home Patrol Scanner AC adapter is no longer working. Can I get a replacement for this at Best Buy or is the switcher in the Power Supply unique to Uniden?

My wife works with eqipment like this and she is concerned that without the switcher is needed so as not to blow up the scanner.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

By the way my wife called Uniden today about this and she was told that in order for the question they wanted $28.
Really Paul O. Lawyers and doctors probably make more $.
I know its capitalism and you guys want to make as much $ as possible but Really?

You do not necessarily need a "switching" type power supply but you DO need a REGULATED supply of a linear or switching type that will deliver 9 volts at 800mA at a minimum. Going with a higher mA output is not a bad thing here as the supply has a regulated voltage output.
And of course you need the correct size plug with the correct polarity.

Switching type power supplies are notorious for causing interference in the HF and lower radio spectrum. They are getting better about filtering them these days but some are horrible. Almost everything uses switching type supplies these days. I'd imagine the included cigarette lighter cord that came with the HP-1 just has a simple 9 volt regulator inside it and of course a fuse as you would be plugging it into a circuit capable of supplying 20 - 30 amps.

If you HP-1 is still under warranty, I'd suggest getting the correct supply or better yet, see if your supply is covered by the existing warranty.
Switching and linear type power supplies are just two different ways of doing the same thing.

I'd be curious as to why yours failed. I would not think a correctly working HP-1 would draw even 500mA so has something failed inside yours or perhaps a battery charging circuit problem if you had a bad cell?

Does your HP-1 still run from a charged set of batteries and have you made sure the power jack is OK by trying the cigarette lighter adapter for a test from an external source?

OCO

......." I'd imagine the included cigarette lighter cord that came with the HP-1 just has a simple 9 volt regulator inside it and of course a fuse as you would be plugging it into a circuit capable of supplying 20 - 30 amps.".........
That DC power lighter cord came in handy last month during an all night-all day power outage - two alligator clip jumpers and one of my 14.4 volt DeWalt XRP battery packs kept the HP1 going and going and going...:D

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You do not necessarily need a "switching" type power supply but you DO need a REGULATED supply of a linear or switching type that will deliver 9 volts at 800mA at a minimum. Going with a higher mA output is not a bad thing here as the supply has a regulated voltage output.
And of course you need the correct size plug with the correct polarity.

Switching type power supplies are notorious for causing interference in the HF and lower radio spectrum. They are getting better about filtering them these days but some are horrible. Almost everything uses switching type supplies these days. I'd imagine the included cigarette lighter cord that came with the HP-1 just has a simple 9 volt regulator inside it and of course a fuse as you would be plugging it into a circuit capable of supplying 20 - 30 amps.

If you HP-1 is still under warranty, I'd suggest getting the correct supply or better yet, see if your supply is covered by the existing warranty.
Switching and linear type power supplies are just two different ways of doing the same thing.

I'd be curious as to why yours failed. I would not think a correctly working HP-1 would draw even 500mA so has something failed inside yours or perhaps a battery charging circuit problem if you had a bad cell?

Does your HP-1 still run from a charged set of batteries and have you made sure the power jack is OK by trying the cigarette lighter adapter for a test from an external source?

I dont know whats going on. I brought my scanner and the adapter to work with me; I was planning on buying a adapter at a place here called Sayal. At first I tried it and it did not work and wihen I turned it off it said "Illegal Voltage." ??? I am guessing that it was something with the batteries that might of caused it not to work?

So I tried it again and it worked? I dunno why it would say illegal voltage and then suddenly start to work.lt is out of warrenty and I charge the batteries in a different charger outside the scanner. I notice that I am having battery issues, I have a feeling that these batteries are about ready to be replaced; they are ATC 2500's that have worked for I guess about a year. Go out to the car and I plugged it into the car and it works fine.

I generally use AC for it and only use the batteries when I am at work away from a power source.

Well, anyways I dont have to go anywhere after work today :) but I still dont know why it said illegal voltage before and then all of a sudden it works?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I dont know whats going on. I brought my scanner and the adapter to work with me; I was planning on buying a adapter at a place here called Sayal. At first I tried it and it did not work and wihen I turned it off it said "Illegal Voltage." ??? I am guessing that it was something with the batteries that might of caused it not to work?

So I tried it again and it worked? I dunno why it would say illegal voltage and then suddenly start to work.lt is out of warrenty and I charge the batteries in a different charger outside the scanner. I notice that I am having battery issues, I have a feeling that these batteries are about ready to be replaced; they are ATC 2500's that have worked for I guess about a year. Go out to the car and I plugged it into the car and it works fine.

I generally use AC for it and only use the batteries when I am at work away from a power source.

Well, anyways I dont have to go anywhere after work today :) but I still dont know why it said illegal voltage before and then all of a sudden it works?

edit: I missed the part about you using it on batteries often. That may very well be the cause if often is like almost every day or 5 days a week. I'd bet your batteries may be going south. Out of curiosity, what kind of external charger are you using? Is it one of the "smart" chargers made for NiMH batteries or just a regular NiMH charger? With this info, I think you can disregard the part of my post below where I talk about charging and testing your batteries as you obviously do this often!

Ok, I have seen this myself plus read posts from others about this.
In my case, I received the Illegal Voltage message just after a very short duration power glitch. I'm talking maybe 1/4 to 1/2 second glitch at the most. My HP-1 was on at the time. I had to remove the batteries and unplug it and it has worked fine ever since. I suspect the low voltage that hit the radio was enough to trip the voltage sensor even though my batteries were new and charged.
Had the power remained off longer, I think it would have just switched to the batteries and been fine.
I'm thinking one of the other posts I read may have been caused by a user who knocked his wall wart out of the socket for a blink of the eye and plugged it right back in. That would pretty much duplicate my power outage or voltage sag.

If it is running fine now with the AC adapter, I'd go ahead and run the thing on a good and clean AC outlet and keep an eye on it. You may also want to confirm your batteries are good. Just disconnect the power adapter with the radio off and reconnect it after say 15 seconds. It should ask if you would like to charge, say yes and let it charge until complete. Then go ahead and unplug the adapter from the radio and see how many hours you can get from the thing while running on batteries and scanning. I'd guess a set of weak batteries or one cell totally dead may cause the illegal voltage message very easily if you do have an AC power interruption that your eye may have not detected.
When it loses AC, it tries to switch to battery - if the batteries are weak or one cell is bad, the voltage will drop suddenly and cause the illegal voltage perhaps. Maybe something to do with the internal switchover circuitry?
If you have recently charged your batteries, then just unplug the radio as is and let it run but time how long it runs.
My guess is that something tripped the sensor and everything is OK.
If it does give you an illegal voltage message again quickly however, then I think I'd suspect the power adapter being as it seemed to run fine with the car cable. I also think I recall people being able to replicate this problem by disconnecting the AC adapter while the radio was on and having good batteries installed but it may have been a result of nearly exhausted batteries or a flaw in the detection circuitry if the switchover does not occur fast enough.
I myself have never tried to duplicate the problem for fear of corrupting the data on the SD card! I also now power mine from a UPS powered circuit that I installed here some time ago. It is strong enough to run a small lamp, desktop computer with large LCD monitor and all needed network gear (DSL modem, firewall for example) for nearly 36 hours last I tested. Oh, it also runs several of my scanners and other radios. It cost me an arm and a leg for the batteries though! They are lager than a large car battery!
If you have a small UPS unit that you can plug your HP-1 adapter into, that may be a solution if you have dirty or unreliable power. I think switching supplies can handle dirty power pretty well though. It cannot running from a UPS plus it may prevent damage from a nearby lightning strike in the future! Some (many) UPS units do not put out a very clean signal and hardly any output a true sine wave so the HP-1's adapter may not like the power from a UPS and it may shutdown. My guess is it will work fine though being as all computer supplies are also switching type supplies and they usually run just fine even on the cheapest of UPS units.

Good luck and hopefully the problem will never occur again!
If it does, check the voltage level from the adapter if you have a meter or know someone that does. If it can be checked while running the scanner would be best plus while it is still warm is also a good idea in case it is heat related. The easiest way is with a set of meter probes made for piercing the insulation on the power cable near the DC plug end. You just need to be sure you do not sever any of the wire strands under the insulation or else that spot will become a weak spot. I own meter probes designed for this but I've also seen plenty of people use very fine sewing needles used for the same thing without causing any wire damage.
Do try and see if it works first though before taking any drastic measures!

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
edit: I missed the part about you using it on batteries often. That may very well be the cause if often is like almost every day or 5 days a week. I'd bet your batteries may be going south. Out of curiosity, what kind of external charger are you using? Is it one of the "smart" chargers made for NiMH batteries or just a regular NiMH charger? With this info, I think you can disregard the part of my post below where I talk about charging and testing your batteries as you obviously do this often!

Ok, I have seen this myself plus read posts from others about this.
In my case, I received the Illegal Voltage message just after a very short duration power glitch. I'm talking maybe 1/4 to 1/2 second glitch at the most. My HP-1 was on at the time. I had to remove the batteries and unplug it and it has worked fine ever since. I suspect the low voltage that hit the radio was enough to trip the voltage sensor even though my batteries were new and charged.
Had the power remained off longer, I think it would have just switched to the batteries and been fine.
I'm thinking one of the other posts I read may have been caused by a user who knocked his wall wart out of the socket for a blink of the eye and plugged it right back in. That would pretty much duplicate my power outage or voltage sag.

If it is running fine now with the AC adapter, I'd go ahead and run the thing on a good and clean AC outlet and keep an eye on it. You may also want to confirm your batteries are good. Just disconnect the power adapter with the radio off and reconnect it after say 15 seconds. It should ask if you would like to charge, say yes and let it charge until complete. Then go ahead and unplug the adapter from the radio and see how many hours you can get from the thing while running on batteries and scanning. I'd guess a set of weak batteries or one cell totally dead may cause the illegal voltage message very easily if you do have an AC power interruption that your eye may have not detected.
When it loses AC, it tries to switch to battery - if the batteries are weak or one cell is bad, the voltage will drop suddenly and cause the illegal voltage perhaps. Maybe something to do with the internal switchover circuitry?
If you have recently charged your batteries, then just unplug the radio as is and let it run but time how long it runs.
My guess is that something tripped the sensor and everything is OK.
If it does give you an illegal voltage message again quickly however, then I think I'd suspect the power adapter being as it seemed to run fine with the car cable. I also think I recall people being able to replicate this problem by disconnecting the AC adapter while the radio was on and having good batteries installed but it may have been a result of nearly exhausted batteries or a flaw in the detection circuitry if the switchover does not occur fast enough.
I myself have never tried to duplicate the problem for fear of corrupting the data on the SD card! I also now power mine from a UPS powered circuit that I installed here some time ago. It is strong enough to run a small lamp, desktop computer with large LCD monitor and all needed network gear (DSL modem, firewall for example) for nearly 36 hours last I tested. Oh, it also runs several of my scanners and other radios. It cost me an arm and a leg for the batteries though! They are lager than a large car battery!
If you have a small UPS unit that you can plug your HP-1 adapter into, that may be a solution if you have dirty or unreliable power. I think switching supplies can handle dirty power pretty well though. It cannot running from a UPS plus it may prevent damage from a nearby lightning strike in the future! Some (many) UPS units do not put out a very clean signal and hardly any output a true sine wave so the HP-1's adapter may not like the power from a UPS and it may shutdown. My guess is it will work fine though being as all computer supplies are also switching type supplies and they usually run just fine even on the cheapest of UPS units.

Good luck and hopefully the problem will never occur again!
If it does, check the voltage level from the adapter if you have a meter or know someone that does. If it can be checked while running the scanner would be best plus while it is still warm is also a good idea in case it is heat related. The easiest way is with a set of meter probes made for piercing the insulation on the power cable near the DC plug end. You just need to be sure you do not sever any of the wire strands under the insulation or else that spot will become a weak spot. I own meter probes designed for this but I've also seen plenty of people use very fine sewing needles used for the same thing without causing any wire damage.
Do try and see if it works first though before taking any drastic measures!

Kruser: I'd be scared to take it apart myself, as I mentioned my wife works with these kinds of things and her boss would be able to take a look at it and check the voltage.

As you mentioned Ithe batteries are probably going. I use a Duracell fast charger that I got at Walmart and some run of the mill batteries. When one or more of the batteries are damaged the charger flashes, that indicates the battery problem. So basically I know I have to pick up another set of them.

These have lasted at least 8 months. The batteries that came with the scanner were done in a few months, the GRE ones and I am getting sick and tired of crappy batteries. I know I can order good ones from the States but I betcha my charger isnt all that great and might be causing the batteries to crap out quickly.

So I could see that the radio would show a illegal charge message if the batteries werent charging properly but at the time I would turn the scanner off, remove the batteries and then fire it up again via AC and it woul not turn on.

I hate using batteries only, the only reason I have them in the machine is for recording and I sometimes take my scanner into another room with me. If I am away from a power source then batteries are in order.
I have to do Christmas shopping tonite so I prob will buy a set of new batteries.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Kruser: I'd be scared to take it apart myself, as I mentioned my wife works with these kinds of things and her boss would be able to take a look at it and check the voltage.

As you mentioned Ithe batteries are probably going. I use a Duracell fast charger that I got at Walmart and some run of the mill batteries. When one or more of the batteries are damaged the charger flashes, that indicates the battery problem. So basically I know I have to pick up another set of them.

These have lasted at least 8 months. The batteries that came with the scanner were done in a few months, the GRE ones and I am getting sick and tired of crappy batteries. I know I can order good ones from the States but I betcha my charger isnt all that great and might be causing the batteries to crap out quickly.

So I could see that the radio would show a illegal charge message if the batteries werent charging properly but at the time I would turn the scanner off, remove the batteries and then fire it up again via AC and it woul not turn on.

I hate using batteries only, the only reason I have them in the machine is for recording and I sometimes take my scanner into another room with me. If I am away from a power source then batteries are in order.
I have to do Christmas shopping tonite so I prob will buy a set of new batteries.

Ha, I did not mean to take it apart! See if they can measure the voltage at the DC plug end even if not hooked up to the radio. It should show 9.00 volts or very close to that. If it is way higher (or lower), then the adapter is probably bad. It is a regulated adapter so it will show 9 volts regardless of a load or not if it is working correctly.
The test I mentioned of trying to get a reading by piercing the wires is a load test and it will show if the supply can output the needed current and voltage with the scanner running. Have you ever noticed your supply feeling really warm or even hot when the scanner would not turn on?

I'm not familier with a walmart charger but my experience with most of what they sell is not good! I'd suggest getting a better charger if that can be done. MaHa I think is one but I don't recall the actual model number. There is another I see mentioned a lot (LaCrosse maybe) in the Uniden and GRE forums here. They are both smart chargers and will give you the best life from your batteries.
Maybe search those forums and if nothing found, start a new thread on a recommended external NiMH charger.
The so called "fast" chargers usually do more harm than good by shortening the useful life of a set of batteries. They are OK if you need batteries charged quickly and are not worried about replacing them more often that normal. I've used the so called 15 minute batteries before but I bet they did not last a month!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Ha, I did not mean to take it apart! See if they can measure the voltage at the DC plug end even if not hooked up to the radio. It should show 9.00 volts or very close to that. If it is way higher (or lower), then the adapter is probably bad. It is a regulated adapter so it will show 9 volts regardless of a load or not if it is working correctly.
The test I mentioned of trying to get a reading by piercing the wires is a load test and it will show if the supply can output the needed current and voltage with the scanner running. Have you ever noticed your supply feeling really warm or even hot when the scanner would not turn on?

I'm not familier with a walmart charger but my experience with most of what they sell is not good! I'd suggest getting a better charger if that can be done. MaHa I think is one but I don't recall the actual model number. There is another I see mentioned a lot (LaCrosse maybe) in the Uniden and GRE forums here. They are both smart chargers and will give you the best life from your batteries.
Maybe search those forums and if nothing found, start a new thread on a recommended external NiMH charger.
The so called "fast" chargers usually do more harm than good by shortening the useful life of a set of batteries. They are OK if you need batteries charged quickly and are not worried about replacing them more often that normal. I've used the so called 15 minute batteries before but I bet they did not last a month!

Kruser: I have heard about the really good chargers you mentioned, on here. It probably would be smarter to buy one of the ones you mentioned, some of them I heard even can repair damaged batteries.

The Duracell charger I got 4 yrs ago for about $40 in Canada with a 4 set of 2100 Pre charged Duracells. Those batteries lasted me about 1.5 years, excellant batteries. Normally when I buy recharagles I get burnt. I never pick good Everready's and the ATC and GE batteries I get leave a lot to be desired. You never know what you are buying with certain batteries.

A buddy of mine suggested that Ray-O-Vac batteries keep their charge for a long time so I picked up a 1.2V 4 Pack of precharged ones for under $10, almost half the price that the main brands charge.

ScannerWayne

EJB,

I have the same charger that you do. Have had it for about four years now. Works great. At one time I had two sets of batteries. One in the charger and the other in my (BCD396T). Would swap the batteries almost every day. Batteries would last a little over a year, maybe a year and a half? Something along those lines anyway.

As for batteries, I've been using CVS's rechargable brand for the past two years. I usually buy them when they are on sale and toss them into a drawer until I need them. Matter of fact, I bought two new sets the other day. 12 dollars for eight batteries seemed like a good price to me. They had a two for one sale going on.

But like anything else, your mileage may vary. <Grin>

Wayne...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi Wayne: Ya, I like the charger. I am aware that a fast charge might mess up the batteries and I should probably invest in a better charger.

I just bought a 4 pack of Ray-O-Vac batteries from Walmart, 10 bucks. A wise friend of mine mentioned that these are not good for a high energy reliant scanner like the HP and that a couple of hours at best is what I would get.

I do have a BCD250 without a battery pack. He said that he would take these 4 Ray-O-Vac's and build me a battery pack; these would be ok for a less energy hungry slow drain scanner..

So after getting various GE brands from a store up here called Sayal I saw a 4 pack of Energizers for $15 last nite at a hardware store and I will see how these go.

I dont like to use the HP with batteries, at work if I am away from my desk or in a part of my apartment away from a plug they will do, otherwise its AC.

t_shuffle

For what it's worth, I can vouch for Maha chargers. I've been using one for years for my digital camera batteries, and get great life out of them.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Kruser: I have heard about the really good chargers you mentioned, on here. It probably would be smarter to buy one of the ones you mentioned, some of them I heard even can repair damaged batteries.

The Duracell charger I got 4 yrs ago for about $40 in Canada with a 4 set of 2100 Pre charged Duracells. Those batteries lasted me about 1.5 years, excellant batteries. Normally when I buy recharagles I get burnt. I never pick good Everready's and the ATC and GE batteries I get leave a lot to be desired. You never know what you are buying with certain batteries.

A buddy of mine suggested that Ray-O-Vac batteries keep their charge for a long time so I picked up a 1.2V 4 Pack of precharged ones for under $10, almost half the price that the main brands charge.

Are these pre-charged batteries the same types that some call "hybrids"?
I've used some and have had good luck with them also. They do have a lot lower self discharge rate which I really like as I do not use batteries very often and when I did need them, the regular NiMH's I had would be dead or nearly dead of course. So I tried some Ray-O-Vac hybrids and they worked out very well for my useage pattern. I still keep a set of regular old alkalines in my Pro96 though for when the power goes out and I must leave home for a while.
Something I bought came with a charger and four of the hybrids otherwise I would not have known they even made suce a battery! I've since bought more but none ever had the mA rating on the bubble pack or in individual cells which I found weird. I've always figured them to be near 2100+ though from the run time comparisons I did against batteries that did have their capacity stamped on them. The biggest thing ever written on the bubble pack was the fact that they will hold a charge over 6 months. I clearly remember that!

Status
Not open for further replies.