Home Patrol and Amplified Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

McP

I've searched and read a few posts about external speakers and Home Patrol.

I'm one of those that feels the HP speaker is low to begin with. I have no problem with it at home, but when I take it in the car to work with me, it's too low. Especially driving on the highway. My BCT15X did great with it's $15.00 Uniden speaker.

So I followed the posts and picked up a RS amplified speaker RadioShack® Amplified Communication Speaker - RadioShack.com

Other than sounding a bit "cleaner" I can't tell any difference at all in regards to a increase in volume. I let two others see and they both thought it was just as low as the HP speaker.

Just in case it was the speaker, I plugged it into my 396XT and that did give a good increase in volume.

So what gives? Is this RS model not a good enough amplified speaker for the HP? If not, what should I be looking for?

Am I missing anything with the HP in regards to once I plug the amplified speaker into my headphone jack? I picked up a mono-stereo jack to try as well as a 1/8 to 3/32 adapter in case I needed to use the line in.

I love my HP and not ready to give up on it yet. It does so many great things. My only complaints are the speaker (lack of external speaker plug) and the SMA connection (my ScannerMaster SMA to BNC adapter broke within a week).

And totally off my original topic title, can TGIDs be directly entered into the HP to quickly jump to a channel?

I've searched and read a few posts about external speakers and Home Patrol.

I'm one of those that feels the HP speaker is low to begin with. I have no problem with it at home, but when I take it in the car to work with me, it's too low. Especially driving on the highway. My BCT15X did great with it's $15.00 Uniden speaker.

So I followed the posts and picked up a RS amplified speaker RadioShack® Amplified Communication Speaker - RadioShack.com

Other than sounding a bit "cleaner" I can't tell any difference at all in regards to a increase in volume. I let two others see and they both thought it was just as low as the HP speaker.

Just in case it was the speaker, I plugged it into my 396XT and that did give a good increase in volume.

So what gives? Is this RS model not a good enough amplified speaker for the HP? If not, what should I be looking for?

Am I missing anything with the HP in regards to once I plug the amplified speaker into my headphone jack? I picked up a mono-stereo jack to try as well as a 1/8 to 3/32 adapter in case I needed to use the line in.

I love my HP and not ready to give up on it yet. It does so many great things. My only complaints are the speaker (lack of external speaker plug) and the SMA connection (my ScannerMaster SMA to BNC adapter broke within a week).

And totally off my original topic title, can TGIDs be directly entered into the HP to quickly jump to a channel?

I totally agree with you, the audio is way too low for use on the road and that rinky-dink SAM to BNC adapter is useless. You got lucky, mine broke the first time I tried to use it. I now have mine duct taped and rubber banded to the HP1.

Richard

QwKiE

I bought a 21-130 rs for my car and I have to be careful and turn the volume down, if you are not happy take the HP1 and the speaker in to the Radio Shack have them hook it up and make it work in the store. I had mine done that way before I bought it, they were to happy to help me get it right.I use the head phone set up with the adpter.

lep

I am not familiar with the BNC/SMA adaptor sold by Scanner Master but the one from Diamond is excellent, it has a MSRP of $9.95 and is of much better construction that the $2-bright shiny ones often sold at ham flea markets. It screws into the HP-1 in such a secure manner that only the bayonet portion protrudes and puts little strain on the Uniden case.

BTW, I often use my HP-1 in my auto and never had a 'volume problem', maybe you need a quieter car...

I am not familiar with the BNC/SMA adaptor sold by Scanner Master but the one from Diamond is excellent, it has a MSRP of $9.95 and is of much better construction that the $2-bright shiny ones often sold at ham flea markets. It screws into the HP-1 in such a secure manner that only the bayonet portion protrudes and puts little strain on the Uniden case.

BTW, I often use my HP-1 in my auto and never had a 'volume problem', maybe you need a quieter car...

I'll keep my truck, thank you very much. I can't haul enough hay bails in a car or tow my boat.

lep, do you have a URL for Diamond? I tried looking up Diamond, Diamond Electronics, and Diamnod Electronics Inc. and came up with no one who sold the converter.

Thanks,

Richard

lep

Yes, diamond is a Japanese manufacturer, their products are imported by RF Parts Company and sold by many amateur/commercial dealers. They can be found at: Diamond®Antenna.

McP

Thanks for the info on the SMA-BNC adapter.

I'll ask Uncle Sam for a new car, but I doubt I'll get one simply because I say I can't hear my scanner ;) It is fine when I am driving under 45mph, so I am just being picky to what I'd like in the volume.

McP

I hope it's not a problem with the HP. I tried my 21-130 with my 396XT and the volume was dramatically louder. I don't think it is, only because I've used computer USB speakers as external speakers in the house with the HP and those worked fine.

There is no setup or change in a menu on the HP for it? When you say you use the headphone set up with the adapter, are you referring that you simply plug the black plug from the amplified speaker into the headphone jack? Or are you using a adapter between them?

I bought a 21-130 rs for my car and I have to be careful and turn the volume down, if you are not happy take the HP1 and the speaker in to the Radio Shack have them hook it up and make it work in the store. I had mine done that way before I bought it, they were to happy to help me get it right.I use the head phone set up with the adpter.

QwKiE

McP you have to use the adapter between the scanner and the speaker or it wont work. Like I said if you think something is not right go to a Radio Shack and take the home patrol with you and the speaker have them hook it up in the store and get it to work they can and will do that.

McP

I had tried the mono to stereo jack I picked up last night with no luck, but I had a stereo to mono adapter 1/8" Stereo Plug to 1/8" Mono Plug Adapter - RadioShack.com here at home. Just tried it now and BOOM, much better.

Thanks!

McP you have to use the adapter between the scanner and the speaker or it wont work. Like I said if you think something is not right go to a Radio Shack and take the home patrol with you and the speaker have them hook it up in the store and get it to work they can and will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.