Home Patrol and cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Hello.

I plan on driving to Toronto tomorrow, it is a 45 minute drive from the "905."

I want to take with me a scanner or another radio that I have. The thing is, this other radio is limited to our provincial police (they patrol the highways in Toronto) while the Home Patrol is set to scan everything, the OPP (provincial police), the road crews, EMS, etc.

I only hesitate to take the Home Patrol is because we are getting a real cold winter here, normally our climate is like Chicago"s in the winter but warmer and less snow.

It's going to be about 5-15 degrees F tomorrow, the windchill is expected to be below zero for sure.

I have asked a few people in the area here who have HP'S. They say it will work but the LED's might be slow to warm up.

Are there any Home Patrol owners who left their scanner in a cold car? I am a little apprehensive bringing the scanner with me to my meeting.

I just don't want to do permanent damage to it, I couldn't replace it right now nor do I really want to (unless I can get a new 436 base scanner, lol).

Thanks

Eric, freezing in the GTA.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Home Patrol And Cold Weather

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+).....Are there any Home Patrol owners who left their scanner in a cold car?.....

I live in Minnesota and we, too, have had a very cold winter. Typically my Home Patrol remains in the dash mount in my car and the car is the garage. However, several weeks ago, my Hone Patrol sat outside for a few weeks during the most extreme cold weather. It powered up and I had no problems.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have asked a few people in the area here who have HP'S. They say it will work but the LED's might be slow to warm up.

Yeah, I've left my radio in the car overnight a few times, on a windshield suction cup mount, so it was fairly cool. The screen updated rather slow and using the touch function was just about impossible until it warmed up.

You might also have "SD card error" messages if you are using a lower quality card. When I got that message, taking the card out and re-seating it fixed the problem.

Other than what's mentioned above, my HP has never had any issues from being in the cold. Problems of course went away when it warmed up. If you put the radio on the windshield like I do, the defroster will certainly help bring it back to operating temps.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Hello.

I plan on driving to Toronto tomorrow, it is a 45 minute drive from the "905."

I want to take with me a scanner or another radio that I have. The thing is, this other radio is limited to our provincial police (they patrol the highways in Toronto) while the Home Patrol is set to scan everything, the OPP (provincial police), the road crews, EMS, etc.

I only hesitate to take the Home Patrol is because we are getting a real cold winter here, normally our climate is like Chicago"s in the winter but warmer and less snow.

It's going to be about 5-15 degrees F tomorrow, the windchill is expected to be below zero for sure.

Are there any Home Patrol owners who left their scanner in a cold car? I am a little apprehensive bringing the scanner with me to my meeting.

I just don't want to do permanent damage to it, I couldn't replace it right now nor do I really want to (unless I can get a new 436 base scanner, lol).

Thanks

Eric, freezing in the GTA.

According to the HP-1 owner manual it is good to -10 degree C operation's temperature and to -30 degree C storage temperature. At the high end it states about +60 degrees C for both operational and storage temperatures. I do not know if that means it will still work but not normally or it will not work at all. From the posts here it looks like probably the first possibility is probably true.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

JASII said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+).....Are there any Home Patrol owners who left their scanner in a cold car?.....

I live in Minnesota and we, too, have had a very cold winter. Typically my Home Patrol remains in the dash mount in my car and the car is the garage. However, several weeks ago, my Hone Patrol sat outside for a few weeks during the most extreme cold weather. It powered up and I had no problems.

I look at the weather out west and see Calgary is +13/55, Whitehorse is warmer than Orlando Fla!!!!!

I imagine that few people feel bad for us thou here, eh Jay?

What was it, "let the eastern b+++urds freeze" lol

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Thanks guys. It hasn't been this cold here since my first year in Toronto, 1994.

We normally straddle the freezing mark and snow comes and goes. It rarely drops below 0-10f most years. This year, brutal.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Hey, I'll have you know I was born in Scarborough and grew up in Stouffville and North Pickering. :) Yes it's been warm here lately but we are going from +12 today to -13 by noon tomorrow.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Why would you leave a $400 home patrol in a car overnight anyway?

If that is for me, because it gets far better reception on the vehicle antenna than inside a metal frame building; the car powers it all shift; the car's in a high-security facility; and letting it sit there recording all day/night is far better than leaving it turned off in my briefcase in the office.

dkf435

Why would you leave a $400 home patrol in a car overnight anyway?

Are you supposed to uninstall everything at night? I have a Icom R2500 Kenwood TM-D710A and Icom 2820H Yaesu FTM-350R plus a Icom 7000 HF all mode sitting right next to the HP-1E and they do fine.

David Kb7uns

mancow

Database Admin
I can see if it's in the secure facility. As for me, yes I do take everything in at night that is not hard mounted in a console. It's a pain in the *** but better than it being stolen but to each his own.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

Jay911 said:
Hey, I'll have you know I was born in Scarborough and grew up in Stouffville and North Pickering. :) Yes it's been warm here lately but we are going from +12 today to -13 by noon tomorrow.

I'd kill for -13 Jay.

Today was -8, I didn't feel like death after having been outside for more than 5 minutes.

Tomorrow's low for the urban regions of the GTA: -21, with windchill around -30-35.

And I know that you lived in the 905 as a child before you ventured out to the Cowboy hat wearing then hick-town of Calgary, :)

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

mancow said:
I can see if it's in the secure facility. As for me, yes I do take everything in at night that is not hard mounted in a console. It's a pain in the *** but better than it being stolen but to each his own.

I don't leave really much of anything here out at night. Anyone can smash a Window and take anything here, even if I am parked right in front of my building, stuff happens.

I took it with me to my meeting and even if I did leave it in my Jeep I was only inside the meeting for an hour or so.

mikepdx

If in doubt, refer to your manual - p. 29:

Operating temp: +14 F (-10 C) to +140 F (+60 C)
Storage temp: -22 F (-30 C) to +140 F (+60 C)

Jay911

Feed Provider
And I know that you lived in the 905 as a child before you ventured out to the Cowboy hat wearing then hick-town of Calgary, :)

I lived in the 905 before it was the 905! It used to be 416 for all of that neck of those woods. Our phone numbers were 7 digit, 8 for long distance.. it was a Big Deal when they told us we had to add the area code - that was three whole more numbers!!1one!

We had PeasantVision(tm) when I was growing up. CBC Ch 5, CTV Ch 9, Buffalo Ch 2, WKBW on 7 (aka TheFireChannel), and for some of us on good days, Rochester WUTV-29. Oh and Global, 6&22.

I used to listen to Tom Rivers on 680CFTR in the mornings. Somewhere I still have a couple audio cassettes of him doing his "Unfriendly Giant" shtick.

We, as a family, got "our" first scanner not long after my father joined Pickering FD in the late 70s or 1980. It was a handheld "Bearcat S/P H-L", which I still have. It has one crystal in it (four slots), for 153.86, which is what PFD was dispatched on throughout the urban and rural (Brougham and Claremont) stations for decades. You set it to scan by flipping a toggle switch in one direction - held on a channel by moving the toggle switch to the middle; and you could "bump" it to the next channel by tapping the toggle switch in the opposite direction of Scan. To lock out any of the four channels, you had DIP-sized switches on the front of the radio. Red LEDs indicated which of the four channels you were on at any given moment.

On the topic of cold weather, we lived in Brougham (intersection of Brock Road & Hwy 7) and my grandparents lived in north Markham on the 48 about 2km north of Major Mac (just south of the church, the house is still there). On Christmas we'd do Christmas morning at our place and then go to my grandparents' and do it all over again. One year it was so cold (I'm going to guess south of -30), the fuel in the car's fuel lines froze around Green River, and my dad and I hitched a ride back to Brougham, leaving my mom and sister in the car (chivalrous, weren't we?!), and we got the other vehicle and picked them up and carried on to Markham.

dkf435

Put it this way I have a backhoe and we use pest control out here.

David Kb7uns

We used to be able to dial just 5 digits for in town the whole state was one area code, now its 10 digit dialing. because of the overlay code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.