Home Patrol....first impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

Evening, all, I'm the proud owner of a brand new HP.

I bought my first scanner in 1972, and have been hooked ever since. I've also been a ham for near 30 years, so I'm not exactly new to the hobby. ;)

One issue I've had, is that as I get older, I don't adapt as well to newer technology as I used to. I spend a lot of time on the road, and constantly programming scanners as I travel has got to be almost more than I want to deal with.

I've been following the HP for some time now, and, tonight, finally decided to take the plunge. Here are my initial impressions!

Setup was simple and fast. I unboxed the unit, connected it to the computer, updated to the latest firmware and database, and was scanning within 20 minutes of getting it back home.

The size is small enough to be compact, yet the screen is large enough that I can read it easily.

I'm pretty amazed at the audio. I'm not using an external speaker, yet even with just the internal speaker, the audio is plenty loud. It also seems quite crisp and clear to me...not a measured test, just my old, tired ears. :)

The touch screen and menus are easily understood to me. So far, the layout seems logical and easily arranged.

Downsides...nothing major, but I DO wish the unit had a bit more "heft" to it. It seems light and fragile. Also, the stand is not as steady as I would prefer, I'll figure out a way to mount it on my desk so it's a bit more steady.

I'm going to do a little mobile testing here in the next few days and will find time to post some more long term impresssions. But, as of now...I'm very happy with my choice.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.