Home Patrol GPS: How does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

My last thread was about the HP and its GPS and my next thread will be the same topic, different question:

I am driving back from Florida to Massachusetts and using the HP on that trip.
I have a 396XT with which I am happy, but I might as well try the HP.
I don't really have any major programming/usage problems with the 396.

How does the GPS on the HP work?
Say I'm driving through Georgia. I will pass through the entire state in an hour and a half, but want to listen to the State Patrol and all the county Sheriffs.

Does the HP automatically search for new information at timed intervals? Miles? On the push of a button?
Does it erase the previous information by distance? Signal Strength? Etc.

I think you get my drift.
Getting it on Tuesday, thinking about it now.

Thanks
Dic
N1XBA

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The GPS sends its position to the HP-1 every second. As you travel in and out of the radio systems range circles, the HP-1 selects or deselects them based on the congruence of your HP-1's range setting (default is 0 miles on GPS) and the system's stored range circle from the database. From time to time the HP-1 will reload from the entire database to include new areas as you travel. It's pretty fool-proof.

When traveling, I usually leave the range set to 0 miles but on occasion I've increased it to 3 or 5 miles in areas where there's not many towns around.

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
I can't add a whole lot more to ST-Bob's post, except you might want to also need to toggle the "Avoid" on/off for specific channels as you pass through some areas. On a recent trip from IL down/back from TN, some of the larger city channels were so loaded with medical and rescue data or dispatch transmissions, that I felt it limited county and other law enforcement coverage.

Page 19 of the user guide covers this.

Status
Not open for further replies.