Home Patrol ignoring local system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed for the last year that my Home Patrol ignores my local city Winchester Virginia completely. Winchester is conventional and can be easily picked up with my other scanners. I've entered my location with all the local zip codes and also texted the city name but neither worked. When I looked in the Sentinel software info for this system it lists the GPS coordinates as all zeros, could this be why it's not loading up the system? Thanks in advance for any help.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Possibly. I suggest you submit corrected information for the city of Winchester, VA with the location and range set to just cover the boundaries of the city's borders. You can likely get a pretty good estimate using Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more and finding the map of the city showing its borders. Then give an estimate of the radius which will cover it and select a center point using the "right-click", "what's here" method in Google maps. That's how I did it for most cities in Massachusetts.

The data is definitely in error as it is. It should be at least entered as the geographic center of the county and range to cover the whole county. Probably an oversight.

I'd submit the following: Latitude 39.205189, Longitude -78.233192, Range 10 miles (as a start).

Last edited:

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
It has nothing to do with the scanner - people make mistakes. In this case, Winchester, VA was left out of the initial reprogramming effort to give every city at least a default geotag entry. Just submit the data and get on with your life. All data at RadioReference is user-submitted. You're a user - submit it...

Thanks for the info, to me this seems like a large glitch with how the homepatrol 1 operates. I'm taking a roadtrip and didn't want to miss too much. I will certainly update as I can. Thanks again

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Would you rather have to enter all the frequencies you're interested yourself? It's designed to automatically select from the entire RadioReference database by location. When locations aren't known, of course, it doesn't work right. Uniden apparently chose to make the scanner ignore rather than include systems with no geotag for some (probably quite valid) reason.

As a work-around till the data gets fixed, you could always copy the Winchester, VA frequencies to a favorites list in Sentinel and set it for no location-control. Select multiple lists on the HP-1 and include both the full database and the Winchester VA favorites list. That way, no matter where you tell the HP-1 it's located it'll find Winchester's frequencies.

Would you rather have to enter all the frequencies you're interested yourself? It's designed to automatically select from the entire RadioReference database by location. When locations aren't known, of course, it doesn't work right. Uniden apparently chose to make the scanner ignore rather than include systems with no geotag for some (probably quite valid) reason.

As a work-around till the data gets fixed, you could always copy the Winchester, VA frequencies to a favorites list in Sentinel and set it for no location-control. Select multiple lists on the HP-1 and include both the full database and the Winchester VA favorites list. That way, no matter where you tell the HP-1 it's located it'll find Winchester's frequencies.

Yep. But I do believe I have a legitimate gripe especially considering how much hp1 costs, if I wanted to program it all myself I could just use my 396xt! It seems To me if RadioReference is getting paid for use of its database it should be maintained more professionally and Uniden should do a little more quality control testing of their products. Thanks for the input guys.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you. You do have a legitimate gripe; but not with Uniden. Your gripe should be with RadioReference in my opinion.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
RadioReference is a huge database. It did not originally have the fields for latitude/longitude/range, so all of this informaiton has had to be added ... most of that input has occurred in the last 18 months. Occassionally, a city pops up that still lacks geotagging (as in this case). The simple fix is to submit a request to have the information added (with the actual location information, if you know it). Response time from reporting the issue to correcting the issue in the database is generally much less than one week. Uniden is very pleased with the support we get from RadioReference.

Status
Not open for further replies.