Home Patrol II Clock Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfatony

Premium Subscriber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t25QrICm8g
Started having the clock issue with my HP-2 a few days ago. Came upon this on YouTube and gave it a try. Was a solution for the Uniden BCD436HP but thought I would try it for my HP-2. Charged it overnight and seems to of solved the problem for now. Will see how it does for the next few days.

jefflaur1

Started having the clock issue with my HP-2 a few days ago. Came upon this on YouTube and gave it a try. Was a solution for the Uniden BCD436HP but thought I would try it for my HP-2. Charged it overnight and seems to of solved the problem for now. Will see how it does for the next few days.
So when the windo comes up asking if you want to charge..do you select yes or no? If you select yes it goes to charge the 4 AA batteries right? Does that also recharge the memory battery?

KE0GXN

I have been suffering from the same issue. Be advised it will work for a time, but eventually if you run it off of battery power, it will revert back to having issues. I charged mine for a few days and it fixed the problem for a couple of months while I was running on batteries. However, today I turned it on and got the dreaded clock needs to be reset message.

Very frustrating.....:confused:

Good luck, like I said it will work for awhile, but be prepared to have to repeat the process to recharge the internal battery at some point. I am doing it now for I believe the third time since I have owned my HP-2.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I have been suffering from the same issue. Be advised it will work for a time, but eventually if you run it off of battery power, it will revert back to having issues. I charged mine for a few days and it fixed the problem for a couple of months while I was running on batteries. However, today I turned it on and got the dreaded clock needs to be reset message.

Very frustrating.....:confused:

Good luck, like I said it will work for awhile, but be prepared to have to repeat the process to recharge the internal battery at some point. I am doing it now for I believe the third time since I have owned my HP-2.
It does sound that the internal clock battery is going in these units. This can be repaired, but in the case of the Homepatrol-2, the repair fee would need to be paid out of warranty.

In the case of the X36 series, we had known bad components, whereas this issue in the homepatrol series, the components are simply reaching the end of their life.

Station51

HP2 Clock Issue

Bought it new about 2 years ago, it runs in my car. Quite annoying... you have no choice but to keep entering time/date every time unlike my 536 where it eventually just goes away and starts scanning.

I sold my HP2 about a year ago BUT I do recall that there was a section in the OWNER'S MANUAL that covered the function of the clock

KE0GXN

It does sound that the internal clock battery is going in these units. This can be repaired, but in the case of the Homepatrol-2, the repair fee would need to be paid out of warranty.

In the case of the X36 series, we had known bad components, whereas this issue in the homepatrol series, the components are simply reaching the end of their life.

I purchased my HP-2 in August 2015 and started having problems with the internal clock battery in 2017. I would think the internal clock battery’s component life would be more then 2 years......:cautious:

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I purchased my HP-2 in August 2015 and started having problems with the internal clock battery in 2017. I would think the internal clock battery’s component life would be more then 2 years......:cautious:
While that is true, it's difficult to know when your device was made, how long it has sat without a charge, and a number of other factors that can lessen the lifespan of a battery.

WoodburyMan

HP II is Uniden's forgotten child. The 436 and 536 had the exact same issue covered under extended warranty, but the HP II did not. Happened to mine about 2 years out. I finally sent it in and had to pay for a fix. Bad batch of rechargeable batteries inside the unit that keep the time.

KE0GXN

Shame it is that way, but I have come to except that it is what it is. Glad you were able to have yours fixed, abliet on your own dime, which is also shame considering like mine, your battery quit after just two years.

KE0GXN

Has anybody successfully replaced the internal battery themselves?

Mine is completely done, even keeping it plugged in for awhile is not working anymore but for maybe a day or two afterwards, then it reverts to asking for the time and date. :mad:

Tried looking on YouTube, but either my search inquires are way off base or there are no “how to videos” out there for the HP-2.

airsquad9

Premium Subscriber
Just started having issues with this clock warning on one of my Home Patrol II's. I have 3 of them all plugged into my truck and never had any issues til last month. Just started doing it. Maybe Uniden will start covering this now?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
No. I mean no updates and no plan for a new model with SDS100 capabilities. It's the red-headed step-child.
There's nothing to update. The circuitry would have to be changed because right now it's as good as it can get. If you want the capabilities of an SDS100, get an SDS100.

I understand your concerns. I have an HP-1 and 2 and they're great. I've had no problems with either and I still use both the but I realize that some radio technology has changed and neither Home Patrol's circuitry is capable of handling it. Just like those first transistor radios. They can't pick up stereo FM because the circuitry won't allow it. It's simply the nature of the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.