Home Patrol II Clock Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavitt

My HP-2 is requiring a clock reset every blessed time I power it on. I saw a thread earlier where I thought there would be an option to turn off the clock, but it does not appear to be an option on my scanner. I have updated it (firmware is the latest) and replaced the batteries. Nothing stops it. It is driving me crazy. Anyone have a fix? Thanks in advance!

marksmith

First I have heard of this on an hp2. The x36 radios have had such a firmware fix made because of some rtc battery issues, but not that I have heard of for the hp2.

Know of no firmware upgrades for the hp2 since introduction.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

garys

Premium Subscriber
The x36HP issues were hardware related and required return for repair. It's likely that the HP2 would require the same.

Maybe UPMan will pop in with an answer. If not, the OP will probably have to send it in for repair. Uniden might cover it under warranty, especially if if's going to be the first of several that exhibit the same problem.

First I have heard of this on an hp2. The x36 radios have had such a firmware fix made because of some rtc battery issues, but not that I have heard of for the hp2.

Know of no firmware upgrades for the hp2 since introduction.

Mark

marksmith

It's not easy to get to, and it's a strange feature.

If you hold down the off button, it will give you some options. One is the clock. If you pick it, you get an expensive clock with the scanner off. In a minute or so it goes black anyway and does not display.

The only real feature of the onboard clock that I can tell is to date/time stamp recordings.

Mark

cavitt

HP2 Clock Issue

Bought it new about 2 years ago, it runs in my car. Quite annoying... you have no choice but to keep entering time/date every time unlike my 536 where it eventually just goes away and starts scanning.

lelanjlaborde

Premium Subscriber
Home Patrol 2 clock

I have never used mine in a vehicle so it could be a problem with your DC power when you connect it! Since you have the 536 you should not have to carry a scanner in your car with the wifi available on your 536 sending to your phone through the siren app! Its not that easy you have to use a patch into your IPO that allows you to hear the siren and control it anywhere in the world from your vehicle or remote location...good luck!

cavitt

Batteries

Yes, 2800 mah rechargables. I replaced them about 4 months ago when the problem first started cropping up. Good news the batteries last forever, bad news is the clock reset issue kept getting worse.

JamesO

I guess the question need to be raised to UPMan to see if the HP2 has the same RTC keep alive "battery" or super capacitor or what ever it is that goes bad.

I can tell you with my 436HP, I sent it in for the clock repair problem and it is NIGHT and DAY difference.

I have not used my 436HP much lately and I can leave the radio 2-3 weeks without the clock resetting. Matter of fact, I maybe had 4 hours of use on the radio in the past 3 months without having to reset the clock. What ever Uniden did to the radio to correct the clock problem, it works.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember Paul stating when the 536 issue first started that it was similar and there might be a future issue with the HP2.

I guarantee mine is one of the first into the country and so far, no issue. But it runs on AC 100% as well.

I guess the question need to be raised to UPMan to see if the HP2 has the same RTC keep alive "battery" or super capacitor or what ever it is that goes bad.

I can tell you with my 436HP, I sent it in for the clock repair problem and it is NIGHT and DAY difference.

I have not used my 436HP much lately and I can leave the radio 2-3 weeks without the clock resetting. Matter of fact, I maybe had 4 hours of use on the radio in the past 3 months without having to reset the clock. What ever Uniden did to the radio to correct the clock problem, it works.

JamesO

I would guess that the clock problem would likely only show up if the unit is being powered of and off regularly?? A radio that runs on AC power continuously would not appear loose the clock because it is never powered off.

I have to assume there is shared architecture between the 436/536 and the HP2 when it comes to the back up keep alive power source for the clock/calendar.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I've use 2300mah rechargeable batteries, which I recharge externally, but I do plug in the power cable when running discovery mode at night. I've ran the batteries bone dry to where the unit won't even turn on. I've also used the power cable plugged in for over 24hrs straight. I have never had a clock issue EXCEPT when adjusting for DST. Which I just learned is part of your Sentinel profile so unless you read from scanner first, it will default to the profile that is on your pc.

Although my unit does not do very well on the rechargeables (longer to charge than to use), it never seems to lose time. But again I purchased it new and from earlier posts someone said it was used? Maybe I got lost in the thread

Make sure firmware is updated and the clock is set how you want it in the software BEFORE you write to scanner. Or read from scanner, save it, then make adjustments and write back to scanner. That silly little issue messed me up for days.

marksmith

I have two hp2 radios. They both get a diet of battery only use, AC power only use, and 12 volt car power.

While the radio does seem to draw down freshly charged batteries even while plugged into AC or car power, they generally never completely discharge on me.

I have never lost the time in either of them over two years of switching power sources.

I always charge the batteries externally except for a quick short charge occasionally while on the road, but this is very seldom.

Mark

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember Paul stating when the 536 issue first started that it was similar and there might be a future issue with the HP2.

I recall seeing UPMan's post to that effect also.

cavitt

Battery Issue

I did buy it new. I will probably send it in. Just becoming a huge annoyance. I do run it off DC in car and really haven't had the rechargables run down on me.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I did buy it new. I will probably send it in. Just becoming a huge annoyance. I do run it off DC in car and really haven't had the rechargables run down on me.

So it stays on DC power constantly therefore never really using any of the rechargeables. I know it's not good to run AC/DC power on them without batteries but, if they never get used; that is a thought. Have you tried changing the batteries out? Even though the primary source is DC, if the on board batteries are tainted from constant recharge attempts at max level, this may be an issue. Or not, but just a thought. The only one I have left.

CaptainJack

Premium Subscriber
I am having the exact same issue, and have tried all the suggestions and the problem remains. Frustrating!!!

73 de AB4WS,
JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.