Home Patrol Install - 2012 Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
Here are a few pictures of my Home Patrol install in my Jeep Wrangler.
The Home Patrol is mounted with a mini swivel mount behind the shifter. I didn't want to drill holes in anything so it is mounted with high strength tape and so far it doesn't move a bit.

The GPS is the Garmin 18x PC which I eliminated the 12v cigarette adapter and hard wired it into a USB extension cable to get the 5v needed from the USB port located in the center console. The power to the HP1 comes from the 12v power also located in the center console. I didn't want to put the GPS puck on the dash so I put it on the back part of the hard top and it has no problems getting reception.

The antenna is mounted to the roll bar in the back of the vehicle. Overall reception with the antenna in the back is great.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4,762
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,382
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3,190
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,924
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 3,108

ScannaMan9

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best setup's i'v ever seen!!!!

What's in the 12V socket in pic #1??

(Now, how do i get this drool off my keyboard?.......)

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Looks nice, I really like the new motor and transmission specs. What kind of mileage?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Very nice setup! I like the idea with the antenna,where did you get the mount?

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
Looks nice, I really like the new motor and transmission specs. What kind of mileage?

I'm getting around 21/22 mpg. Big improvement over the 17mpg I got in my 09.

Very nice setup! I like the idea with the antenna,where did you get the mount?

The antenna mount is an old Radio Shack clip on antenna mount. I took the BNC off and added the SMA connector.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That is a big improvement, thanks for the info.

ResQguy

Meh
Looks good, but see if you can find a way to protect that GPS cable on the right side of the HP. I see a knee bumping it accidentally someday.
So, about that decal on the rear window....

Last edited:

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
Looks good, but see if you can find a way to protect that GPS cable on the right side of the HP. I see a knee bumping it accidentally someday.
So, about that decal on the rear window....

I saw my decal in the background after I posted the pic and was wondering how long it would take before someone noticed it. Google "Only on a Jeep" and you will see what it is. :)

I wish there was a right angle plug adapter for the GPS cable because it does stick out and I actually have to remove it in order to move the front seat to let someone in the back. Right now I just have it laying behind the HP-1 until I need it and then I plug it in. Thats the bad thing about the Wrangler is that there is not much room for radios.

roadranger

Antenna mount

That looks like a wisely used RS over-the-window mount. Hang it on the window and roll it up. Nice trick hiding the antenna there. Still use mine on the rare occasion.

sq3hopeFD

I saw my decal in the background after I posted the pic and was wondering how long it would take before someone noticed it. Google "Only on a Jeep" and you will see what it is. :)

I wish there was a right angle plug adapter for the GPS cable because it does stick out and I actually have to remove it in order to move the front seat to let someone in the back. Right now I just have it laying behind the HP-1 until I need it and then I plug it in. Thats the bad thing about the Wrangler is that there is not much room for radios.

Search Ebay for right angle adapters. Is it mini or micro-usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.