Home Patrol no audio on some digital systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

990adv

So I did a database update to my HP just like I have multiple times over the years. Now it has a rather unusual problem. Let me explain.

If I scan the IL state police everything seems to work fine. They are digital. If I scan the local ham repeaters everything is fine. Analog of course.

When I scan Urbana and Champaign IL along with Champaign county I receive the first couple transmissions fine but then everything looks ok but no audio. They are digital. No, before someone says it, they did not go encrypted.

If I switch back to scanning something else then back again to Urbana, Champaign and the county again I hear the first few transmissions then nothing.

I have the latest firmware running also. Should I switch back to the previous firmware version or soldier on and attempt to fix the issue? Is it even the firmware? Some other issue?

jhord

Try setting the squelch a little lower. I get the same problems sometimes on digital systems. The squelch is too tight (too high), and the HP indicates it's stopping on a talk group, but I don't hear anything.

Experiment by lowering the squelch one bar at a time. The only problem is if the squelch is too low, it stops on each analog channel if you are scanning both analog and digital systems.

Not sure why it does that. The first time it happened to me, I thought it was a database issue, and spent hours rebuilding the database. I thought it was the attenuator turned on, but that wasn't it. As a fluke, I tried lowering the squelch settings, and it started receiving.

990adv

Ok, no freakin way, you gotta be kiddin me!!!

So I check my squelch setting. It is four bars. Same setting it has been for YEARS. I turn it down to one. Suddenly I start hearing everything!

I am certainly happy with this but puzzled. I live right in the middle of the system I could not hear. The main dispatch center is only a couple miles away at most. I live in Urbana IL and could not hear the METCAD system. Why could I hear the IL State Police, even in adjoining districts, with the squelch set at four bars but not a local system? Both are digital.

Guess I need some education regarding tower sites and such regarding the ISP system.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you have 2.05 firmware roll it back..suppose bug in firmware...

Status
Not open for further replies.