Home Patrol no audio??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOKE1

Premium Subscriber
While driving around today I realized I hadn't heard any thing for a while. Touched screen at "MUTE" to check if it had been inadvertantly touched. It is not red. It does turn red for 30 sec then goes back to white like normal. Checked volume and brought up to max and then turned squelch down to no bars. Nada. Hit MUTE a couple of more times and screen went black and system rebooted. This happened several more times with no audio. Put unit on local wx channel but no audio. Opened up units battery cover, removed batteries ( external power and GPS & ant disconnected ) cycled power switch and then and hit reset. Reloaded batteries and plugged external power back in. Hit on, unit did normal start up and still no audio. All service types lit after reset, reduced to normal settings of Law and Fire dispatch und went back to two bars of squelch and unit scans and stops and resumeson usual channels but still no audio.

At time this started unit is plugged into 12vdc, gps plugged in and powered up and antenna is external mag mount. Both unit power and GPS are powered off a common 3 cig lighter acc plug.

Firmware Version: 2.02
Database Ver: 02/19/2012
Help version: 12/07/2011
ESN: yada yada -0A3
Extreme Upgrade

Any ideas or does a trip to Uniden Service department seem to be in its future?

TIA
Ronzo

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If no audio when holding on a known active channel (I would punch the local NOAA freq in Manual mode), then sounds like a repair issue.

daveharpe

Try plugging in a headphone and see if you get audio. If you do, it might be the same problem mine had - bad headphone jack switch.

Took a month to get it back from service.

OCO

Try plugging in a headphone and see if you get audio. If you do, it might be the same problem mine had - bad headphone jack switch.

Took a month to get it back from service.

If it's the headphone jack and you still get no output, you should still get audio from the line out jack (requires 2.5 MM plug and is a high Z output that bypasses the volume control, but a set of cheap headphones is good for testing).

SMOKE1

Premium Subscriber
Morning Dave!

I tried out your suggestion with the ear phones with no joy. Just a very tiny amount of electric type static/scratching as I insert and remove the plug from the jack with the volume set at 50% and squelch set at zero with the HP-1 in scan mode and hanging on an active channel. It's probably something simple and is a little maddening since I tried it with a favorite list activated that had the same freqs I put in a bank on a PRO 96 and the HP-1 stopped at the same time the PRO 96 did but unlike the PRO 96, the HP-1 took the 5th.
I understand Texas is really very nice this time of year so I'm sure the HP-1 will enjoy it's vacation at the UNIDEN Spa. Nothing like some quality time with slices of cucumber covering your touch screen while visiting the family digs.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Regards, Ron

mysaturnsl

Premium Subscriber
Did you get the audio working??? My home patrol 1 does not have audio now.

SCPD

QRT
No Audio

Before my BCD396XT was stolen, there was no audio through the speaker. Now there's the same kind of problem with Home Patrol. Is this a common, widespread Uniden problem?

lep

As a user of only Uniden scanners for 20 years, this is the first time I have heard of it myself so I don't think it could be described as a "common, widespread Uniden problem." It more likely falls into the category of "shxx happens.". That is not to say you don't have reason to be irritated. Good Luck on getting it fixed.

W9NES

I to am having the same problem with my Uniden Home Patrol. When a talkgroup is active it will show that the scanner is receiving but no audio. I checked my local noaa weather channel 162.550 for Indianapolis weather and 162.550 is fine. The Uniden Hp-1 is also having the same problem on Indianapolis Department of Public Safety Communications (IDPSC) aka MECA. What is the repair cost from Uniden on this? I have a new telephone number for Uniden and no one answers the call. UPMan can you help answer these questions? Thank You.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I checked my local noaa weather channel 162.550 for Indianapolis weather and 162.550 is fine.

Are you saying that you DO hear audio from your Home Patrol when tuned to the 162.550 weather frequency?

W9NES

Yes did say as per UPMan's post that if this did happen to check the NOAA weather service frequencies I did check 162.550 in the my local area Indianapolis on 162.550 and I was getting audio on 162.550 only and I did get AUDIO on the weather channel. There is no audio on the talkgoups on Safe-t or IDPSC(aka:MECA) but the HP-1 does show that it is trying to decode but no audio.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yes did say as per UPMan's post that if this did happen to check the NOAA weather service frequencies I did check 162.550 in the my local area Indianapolis on 162.550 and I was getting audio on 162.550 only and I did get AUDIO on the weather channel. There is no audio on the talkgoups on Safe-t or IDPSC(aka:MECA) but the HP-1 does show that it is trying to decode but no audio.

Then you obviously don't have a hardware type audio failure as the OP and others in this thread are describing.

Most likely bad programming, or an out of date database.

Have you updated lately?

From the main Home Patrol screen select:

"Menu" ---> "Advanced Menu" ---> Scroll Down Arrow --> "Version Information"

What does it say for the Database Version?

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

In this thread...

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/265816-re-banding-uniden-home-patrol.html

...you are having problems with rebanding. An improperly programmed rebanded system will act like you are seeing (showing TG's but no audio).

Status
Not open for further replies.