home patrol one help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gant2

I am just a rookie when it comes to police scanners. I have recently bought a uniden home patrol one. The symptom I have been having is that when I program a certain station into my scanner it never does anything. I have never downloaded sentenial, there for I have not updated the scanner since I have had it (9 months). Could this be the issue?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am just a rookie when it comes to police scanners. I have recently bought a uniden home patrol one. The symptom I have been having is that when I program a certain station into my scanner it never does anything. I have never downloaded sentenial, there for I have not updated the scanner since I have had it (9 months). Could this be the issue?
Hi gant
Welcome to RadioReference.

The fact that you've never installed Sentinel, and so have not updated the scanner, could indeed be a large part of the 'problem'. The database in the scanner as shipped will be a number of months out of date to begin with. And if, during the past nine months, you haven't updated it, that's putting the information even farther out of date.

The location you have entered as your location is in Michigan. While you haven't stated what you're trying to monitor, many agencies in your state, including state, counties, and cities, are on the statewide MPSCS trunked system. For that system, many of the sites have gone through the rebanding process in the last few months (see this thread). That means that the transmit sites have new and different frequencies assigned from those used, say, this time last year, and different than what's in the "old" data in you non-updated Home Patrol.

First things first. Download and install the latest version of Sentinel; that can be found here. Then, once you've installed Sentinel, update the master database, then download that to the scanner. You can download the manual here, or from this page.

Once you have both Sentinel and your HP-1 updated to the latest database, then try creating a new Favorites list based on your location. You can also use the "Easier to Read Manual", which may help as well.
Easier to Read HomePatrol Scanner Manual

gant2

The location I am in is Oakland county. I am aware a majority of the county is using the system "Open Sky". But I also have a favorites list programed for Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, and Inkster. While listening to all three of those I had nothing but silence.

Furthermore I decided to try and get the state police. I had the same issue with getting nothing but silence. I tried manually inputing a frequency, but got no where with that. (Probably because I am doing it improperly)

Anyways thanks for the advice. I will definitely do an update. But based on the info stated above, would this make any sense on why I have the issue?

dmg1969

gant2, like the other poster said, you need to install Sentinel on your computer (get the recent version from homepatrol.com). When installed, connect the scanner to the computer via the USB cable and download the latest firmware and RR database. After that, re-create your favorites in Sentinel and then write everything to the HP-1. I just got an HP-1 a little over a month ago and love it. And I assume you already know that no scanner on the market can scan Open Sky.

Oh...also, make sure you have the appropriate services turn on (law dispatch, fire dispatch, EMS dispatch, etc.). Make a note of the service type of all channels/frequencies that you program into favorites and make sure they are turned on. Also, make sure your range is adjusted appropriately.

One final thing. If you have not already done it, check out the easier to use manual. It helped me immensely.

http://marksscanners.com/HP/HP.shtml

SCPD

QRT
hp1

Make sure you turn on the service types you want to hear and off the ones you dont ,by turning off the ones you dont the radio has a better chance of picking up the channels you want to hear,I'd set it for 5 miles on range too.If you have it near a Mac computer or any other noise maker,move it away.Also make sure at the top of the screen the attenuator isnt on ,it says ATTN at the top center,mine was on by default and colored red when on.If you have a lots of electronics in your house,you may want to consider an outdoor antenna.Theres a great program for Home Patrol called
ARC Patrol,its made by Butel,you can enter exactly what you want to scan with it.Report back how you are doing.
Just so you know,you are saying you program in a certain channel,if you are using the keyboard on the scanner it does not program that frequency into your favorites list,you must have the extreme upgrade to enter a frequency using the scanner.

Last edited:

dmg1969

Make sure you turn on the service types you want to hear and off the ones you dont ,by turning off the ones you dont the radio has a better chance of picking up the channels you want to hear,I'd set it for 5 miles on range too.If you have it near a Mac computer or any other noise maker,move it away.Also make sure at the top of the screen the attenuator isnt on ,it says ATTN at the top center,mine was on by default and colored red when on.If you have a lots of electronics in your house,you may want to consider an outdoor antenna.Theres a great program for Home Patrol called
ARC Patrol,its made by Butel,you can enter exactly what you want to scan with it.Report back how you are doing.
Just so you know,you are saying you program in a certain channel,if you are using the keyboard on the scanner it does not program that frequency into your favorites list,you must have the extreme upgrade to enter a frequency using the scanner.

I have not tried it, but I thought the Extreme Upgrade was NOT needed to enter a frequency manually. From the Easy to use manual...

Quick Frequency Entry
Menu > Advanced Menu > Quick Frequency Entry
Type in the Frequency you want to monitor then tap Accept.
Select the Step Size and Modulation by tapping the corresponding buttons and tap Atten to toggle the attenuator On (red) or Off (white).
Use or to step through the frequencies.

Those instructions were not listed under the Extreme features in the manual. If I am wrong, my apologies, but that is not my understanding from the Easier to Read Homepatrol Manual.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have not tried it, but I thought the Extreme Upgrade was NOT needed to enter a frequency manually. From the Easy to use manual...

Quick Frequency Entry
Menu > Advanced Menu > Quick Frequency Entry
Type in the Frequency you want to monitor then tap Accept.
Select the Step Size and Modulation by tapping the corresponding buttons and tap Atten to toggle the attenuator On (red) or Off (white).
Use or to step through the frequencies.

Those instructions were not listed under the Extreme features in the manual. If I am wrong, my apologies, but that is not my understanding from the Easier to Read Homepatrol Manual.
That let's you enter a single frequency to monitor it temporarily. However, you can't save it to a Favorites list directly on the scanner unless you have the Extreme Upgrade. Even without the "Extreme", you can always manually create a system, or add frequencies, using Sentinel, then add those to the scanner by downloading.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The location I am in is Oakland county. I am aware a majority of the county is using the system "Open Sky". But I also have a favorites list programed for Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, and Inkster. While listening to all three of those I had nothing but silence.
If that 'Favorites list' was generated using the out of date information on the scanner (not updated), then no reception might not be a surprise.

Furthermore I decided to try and get the state police. I had the same issue with getting nothing but silence. I tried manually inputing a frequency, but got no where with that. (Probably because I am doing it improperly)

Anyways thanks for the advice. I will definitely do an update. But based on the info stated above, would this make any sense on why I have the issue?
What frequency did you try to enter for the state police? Based on the comments on this database page, it appears that most, if not all, of the conventional frequencies are no longer active. You're not likely to have much success manually entering a single frequency from a trunked system like MPSCS and hearing what you expect.

Once you've installed Sentinel, downloaded the updated, and then downloaded those to the scanner, try to create a new list based on your location. Also remember, as dmg1969 and k2rty pointed out, that you need to make sure you have the service types you want to hear enabled, Also note that when you manually add a frequency in Sentinel (conventional frequency), the Service Type defaults to 'Custom 1'. If you don't have that active, you'll never hear anything on it.

gant2

Ok I have successfully downloaded Sentinel and have so far successfully updated my scanner. I made a couple new favorites lists. (Much easier to make a favorites list on Sentinel than on the scanner itself)

But now I have a new issue and I have been putting a good amount of research into it to try and figure it out. As some of you have stated, Michigan has been going through a rebanding system. So when I was making a new favorites list I was looking under Wayne County for Western Mutual Aid to try and find a few cities I used to listen to. (Dearborn Heights, Westland, Inkster)

As of now I have not had any luck finding them. Are they gone? Is it a pilot error?

Thanks

N8IAA

Ok I have successfully downloaded Sentinel and have so far successfully updated my scanner. I made a couple new favorites lists. (Much easier to make a favorites list on Sentinel than on the scanner itself)

But now I have a new issue and I have been putting a good amount of research into it to try and figure it out. As some of you have stated, Michigan has been going through a rebanding system. So when I was making a new favorites list I was looking under Wayne County for Western Mutual Aid to try and find a few cities I used to listen to. (Dearborn Heights, Westland, Inkster)

As of now I have not had any luck finding them. Are they gone? Is it a pilot error?

Thanks

They are on the MPSCS. If you look in the RR database, you'll see them.
Larry

W1SKT

I am in a similar situation as the initiator of this thread, only with a 996XT which was programmed almost two years ago and not put in service until last week, it is baffling to say the least to tame this beast>. It was originally programmed (by Scanner Master) for the MA SP trunked system as well as many other entities, but I have yet to hear any SP activity on it. My physical location and antenna is not an issue, any suggestions on where to start on this?

I have no problems with the non trunked systems, I receive them fine.

Does this thread for the Home Patrol also apply to the 996XT? Is "Sentinel" a place to start?

Many thanks,
Chuck

gant2

Alright I am starting to get more familiar with the home patrol scanner and all of you have help me out tremendously. Downloading Sentenal has been a great help and has made making favorites lists much easier.

But now I have a new situation. After my last posting I was able to find Deaborn Heights police and fire with no problem. After I did that I put them both in a favorites list alone and when I went to listen to them a message came up. The message read you are trying to scan too many things and asked me to change the range and or service. Well my range was only 10 miles and I was in Dearborn Heights. So I then tried 5 miles and that made no difference. My services were limited to only law and fire, so that cannot be the issue. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this city possibly encrypted?

P.S. what difference does the range make when scanning, other than being able to scan a further radius?

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Alright I am starting to get more familiar with the home patrol scanner and all of you have help me out tremendously. Downloading Sentenal has been a great help and has made making favorites lists much easier.

But now I have a new situation. After my last posting I was able to find Deaborn Heights police and fire with no problem. After I did that I put them both in a favorites list alone and when I went to listen to them a message came up. The message read you are trying to scan too many things and asked me to change the range and or service. Well my range was only 10 miles and I was in Dearborn Heights. So I then tried 5 miles and that made no difference. My services were limited to only law and fire, so that cannot be the issue. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this city possibly encrypted?

P.S. what difference does the range make when scanning, other than being able to scan a further radius?

Thanks
gant,
You say you were able to 'find' Dearborn Heights PD & FD, and put them 'both in a Favorites list alone'.

Did you do that by finding them in the main database, then "appending" them to a new list? If so, the append process pulls over all the sites on the MPSCS system, not just the ones close to you. If that's how you did it, I'd suggest that you eliminate all those extra, out of area, sites. You might also export that Favorites list and post it here, so that someone can take a look. Note that the 8.hoe file extension is not valid for uploading to the forums. What you'll need to do is rename it so that it will upload. Let's say, for example, you export it to a file named "Dearborn.hpe" (without the quotes, of course). Just rename that to 'Dearborn.hpe.txt' then that can be uploaded.

The export function is under the File menu dropdown.

rocksteady

Oakland might be out of the receive range. When I lived in Oakland county I was almost deaf.

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

Status
Not open for further replies.