Home Patrol - PEI< Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

215ax1

Just purchased a HP and am having problems receiving EMS here in PEI. I am about 5 Kms from the main EMS base, so I think that range is not a issue, BUT if i were to drive into that area I can receive them. Is there any reason why there transmission power is so low, as I receive RCMP, etc very well.
THanks
Paul

hfxChris

Database Admin
EMS is on the provincial trunked system, called PICS. Your distance from the EMS base isn't as important as your distance from the nearest PICS tower.
Do you receive any EMS at all from your location?

RCMP is not on the PICS system, they use their own repeaters, so unfortunately you can't compare the two since they are completely different systems, with transmitters probably in completely different places.

215ax1

PICS Tower

I really have no idea how close I am to the tower. Is there somewhere I can look on the net to see where towers are located. I have another trunk tracker that is hooked up to a old outside antenna, and sometimes I can faintly get the EMS on that one. I would consider a directional outside antenna if I thought it would help, but first I would like to know where the towers are. The Home Patrol is a great little unit and I plan to put an mobile antenna on the car for it. Any suggestions would be gretly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.