Home Patrol - Pinellas County

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Pinellas County registers on my Home Patrol:

1. It displays Pinellas County - Project 25 and I hear nothing.

2. All three areas of the screen display and I hear nothing.

3. What am I doing wrong?

South Jersey Boy

wise871

Database Admin
From the looks of it, the system is still new and there are very few users on it at this time. Are you hearing traffic on the Pinellas County Motorola Type II? Except for one or two law agencies I only see transportation and schools on the P25 system right now.

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
That is correct, monitor the Motorola system if you're looking for pubic safety. The P25 system is new and not much activity on it yet.

kayleesdad

Has PSTA completely migrated over to 851.2 (Site 5, P-25) mostly encrypted? Didn't see them at all on a recent unitrunker of the Pinellas Ridgecrest site.

ngel

Psta

kayleesdad: I think they have completely migrated over to P25. I have not heard them on site 1 in a while. I am assuming they are using motorola ADP encryption as you can hear dispatch in the clear but not the buses. ADP is radio to radio encryption and does not encrypt the dispatch consoles when they transmit.

southjersyboy: there is about 4 individual sites being tested right now for P25. The only site that really has traffic is site 5, so if your entering in all of them you may not hear anything. Unfortunately site 5 is mostly PSTA buses and the majority of it is encrypted. If you don't mind listening to the annoying encrypted sound then you will still hear their dispatch in the clear, otherwise you may want to lockout the PSTA channels. Its boring stuff anyway

Last edited:

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
As a feed provider for Pinellas County SO, Fire Dispatch, and St. Pete PD, I can assure you that you need to program in the 24 frequencies listed in the radioreference database for pinellas county public safety, not P25....this is a Motorola Type II mostly analog system and the listed control and alt control frequencies are correct. Some digital traffic is used by undercover units, surveillance, and the State Attorney...but regular police, fire and EMS are still analog. You want to use the frequencies listed under Site 001-Ridgecrest, which is the main hub for the entire system located at the SunStar facility on Walsingham Road in the center of the county. Also, the majority of listed talk groups are correctly identified as well.

Klentathu

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea what the future plan is, but I would be surprised to see basic dispatch channels go to encryption. Encrypted signals have an inherent delay, and the transcievers that can encrypt are more expensive. I think that may be the main reason the Project 25 is not moving as quickly as expected, There are too many radios out there that have to be replaced to go digital. When I left in 08, all of patrol still had MTS 1000 portables...that is almost 600 portable radios right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.