Home Patrol Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 Questions about this scanner before i pick it up.

1. how good does digital work.
2. how dose the GPS work on this. ex" I am road tripping, will this automatically find and open systems when i'm close and close them?<<<<< this is my biggest question and if anyone has a video or can make a video how this works that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Quentin

rwier

I have 2 Questions about this scanner before i pick it up.

1. how good does digital work.
2. how dose the GPS work on this. ex" I am road tripping, will this automatically find and open systems when i'm close and close them?<<<<< this is my biggest question and if anyone has a video or can make a video how this works that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Quentin

Hi Road Tripper, lol. The Sentinel Software and associated PDF Manuals are available for "no-cost" downloading at

WebHome < HomePatrol < TWiki

Should answer a ton of your questions. I had several Favorite Lists nearly fully developed prior to receiving my first HP-1.

Wow thanks. Wish my 996xt could do this. Well I know what scanner I'm picking up this Thursday.

Now can anyone point me to a way to find a store local to Lincoln or Omaha that I could pick this up. Internet is not an option.

Thanks,
Quentin

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

rwier

Hi Quentin,

Let me add a little more info. Favorite Lists are so easy to create that I also use them when travelling. My trips only have a few routes that I travel. I have made FavLists for:

Phx/Gila Bend/San Diego
Phx/10/95/8/San Diego
Phx/10/Blythe/Brawly/San Diego
Phx/Redlands
San Diego/Redlands/Las Vegas
Phx/93/Kingman/Laughlin/Las Vegas
Las Vegas/95/62/72/60/Phx

I used to have another but removed it when they built the new bridge at Hoover Dam. I saw them build it. It's not for me, lol.

Why FavLists for travelling? Pick the Fav for the trip, hook up the GPS, and never have to touch a thing all day. I, over time, have edited the "tags", so I see in the screen exactly what I would see if I lived at any given spot on the trip.

The so-called easy way, full DB + GPS, will gets hits on innumeral undesired channels (along with the desired ones) with most of the "Tags" appearing almost meaningless (if you haven't lived in the area).

Oh, yes, the radio + Gps will turn channels on and off as you pass through their area with both methods.

Good Luck,
Rob

Last edited:

rwier

Wow thanks. Wish my 996xt could do this. Well I know what scanner I'm picking up this Thursday.

Now can anyone point me to a way to find a store local to Lincoln or Omaha that I could pick this up. Internet is not an option.

Thanks,
Quentin

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Check your local Fry's Electronics (if you have one). They have the best over-the-counter price I have seen in Phoenix.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
I've had a HomePatrol since the end of 2010 and use it almost exclusively mobile with an external antenna and a GPS puck. It's been the greatest leap forward in scanning technology I've yet to see. The weekly updates keep it current and the GPS makes it easy to hear what's important where you are. The huge screen allows the long description of channels instead of the 12 or 16 character alpha-tag stored in RR's database.

You can't go wrong with this scanner as long as you don't expect miracles. It's still got the limitations all scanners have - just in a much more user-friendly package with better user interaction.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My main complaint with my HP-1 extreme is that it's suddenly gone deaf again. It did this before a couple of times, and resetting everything a couple of times seemed to fix it, but not this time, so far anyway. Right now, even using the magnet mount antenna on top of my file cabinets, which works great on my PSR-500 or Pro-106, it can't even detect a MPSCS control channel that blasts in on the other radios (On the bandscope, there is just a tiny indication there is something there at 868.900. The other radios pick up the system with full quieting with the stock duck!. I think since the warranty is up, I'm going to check and see if the antenna connection has broken off.

Status
Not open for further replies.