Home Patrol questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

I am sure this has been brought up a million times, but I am not good at searching.

I live in Crawford county IN, tomorrow I plan to pick-up a home patrol from Radio Shack.

From what I understand it is really the only option to be able to hear everything possible in my area.

So when I buy it will I be able to just enter my zip code and start listening?

And do I need to connect it online to update the latest feq? And does that cost anything?

Also, is there an antenna upgrade I want to consider tomorrow?

Thanks

W9NES

seagullplayer, All you have to do with the Uniden Home Patrol Hp-1 is follow to promps to set up the scanner for your area. All you have to do is put in your zip code and the Home Patrol Hp-1 will take care of the rest. The Hp-1 will has all the information programed into the scanner for Crawford County.Just put in your zip code and you will be able to hear what is on your area .That is it and just start listening. As far as getting updates that is FREE from Uniden. You will have to sign up for sentel to update the scanner. New Updates are available to download on every Mon morning after 9AM. There is a Extreme upgrade for the Hp-1 from Uniden and that cost $100.00 On the antenna upgrade issue question I would recommend the Radio Shack Rubber duck scanner antenna with 6DB Gain from Radio Shack to use on the Hp-1.( Model 20-283, Catalog number 20-283 for $24.99 from Radio Shack). I own a Uniden Home Patrol Hp-1 and have is assigned to my car with a mobile scanner antenna on the back trunk lid of my car. If I can be of further help to you please feel free to contact me by sending me a pm and I will reply back to your request. Thank You.

Last edited:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
After you get your zip code all setup and scanning hit menu then select service types you will want to turn ON more service types from the few default ones.

IndyRick

Hey Seagull player! Welcome to the forum. What Seagull do you play? I wonder if our paths have crossed...I play also.

Anyway...when you get your scanner, install Home Patrol Sentinel onto your computer, and do a first time update. That took me about 10 minutes. Then you'll be good to go.

Enter your zip code, and, if you're like me, it'll take you a week or so of tweaking to get the range and service settings just like you want them. Set the range too far out, and you'll hear too much, to close, and you'll not hear enough. You'll also have to set your service settings to what you want to hear...police, fire, ems, road crews, aircraft, military air, and more are available. You'll find a happy medium.

I got my home patrol 2 years ago, and have been extremely happy with it...I hope you are also. I didn't spring for the extreme upgrade, as I didn't think the benefits merited the extra cost.

Feel free to drop me a note or respond here if you have any questions, I, and most of the rest of the folks on here, would be happy to help. :)

Rick N9GSU

Status
Not open for further replies.