Home Patrol Raw Data Output Feature Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
The Raw Data Output is one of the extras you get with the Extreme Upgrade. Until recently, there weren't any third party applications making use of this feature.

I've spent some time adapting Unitrunker to work with the Raw Data Output feature of the Home Patrol. I'd like to share some ideas that I think will make this feature more useful and user-friendly for Home Patrol owners (and perhaps encourage other third-party development).

The Saturday firmware update took away the ability to use the Raw Data Output concurrent with other screens. I'd like to see this brought back - but in a more user-friendly way. Allow me to explain.

The Raw Data Output Screen looks very much like Quick Frequency Entry except the Raw Data Output Screen is missing three buttons (step size toggle, up arrow, down arrow). Currently you have to enter the precise frequency in the Raw Data Output screen. In contrast, the Quick Frequency Entry screen allows you to "walk around" by stepping the frequency up or down by the chosen step size.

The ability to step through a range of frequencies is incredibly useful.

Proposal #1 - combine these two screens into one. Add a single button to the Quick Frequency Entry screen. Give the button a name like "Raw Output" that acts as a toggle to turn the raw output mode on or off. Remove "Raw Data Output" from the Analyze System Menu.

Trunking Discovery mode is a nice feature. The ability to combine it with Raw Data Output would be even better.

Proposal #2 - Add a single button with a name like "Raw Output" that acts as a toggle to turn the raw output mode on or off. Perhaps just after "Change System" sub-menu.

Trunked System Analyzer is yet another nice feature. The graphical display equates to lots of eye candy. The ability to combine it with Raw Data Output would be even better (which I must add, was possible before the most recent update).

Proposal #3 - Add a single button with a name like "Raw Output" that acts as a toggle to turn the raw output mode on or off. Place this button ...

3a - on the System Load / Reception Status screen.
3b - on the Current Activity Screen
3c - on the LCN Monitor Screen
3d - on the Activity Log screen

The nice thing about #2 and #3 above is this allows the user to leverage the radio's existing programming to choose a site for monitoring. It's as simple as point and shoot. SO MUCH easier than fumbling through a list of control channel frequencies - typing each one in turn trying to find the active control channel to start monitoring.

Regards,
Rick

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for taking a while to get back on this. At CES (engineering actually answered last week, but I just found their reply as I was sorting out all of my incoming).

Unfortunately, because of the high serial port usage, running the Raw Output in other modes can make other primary functions behave poorly. Theoretically, the HP-1 can be "reaction tuned" to follow all system types under PC control in the RAW OUT mode (though there isn't anything out there that will do this, yet).

Other points taken, and they are all on a big list I keep hidden away in a safe.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Paul. I haven't gotten to implementing voice following on the HP1 yet. Look for more suggestions soon.

OCO

At this point, I'd trade Raw Data Output for analog raw baseband audio... the digital output hasn't generated much other than Rick's efforts on Unitrunker and the ArcPatrol remote . (I want to use it with DSD) :(

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Home Patrol and Raw Output

I have been a loyal fan of Unitrunker since its beginning. I have many radios with a tapped discriminator and a BCD396XT which I also use to decode to Unitrunker.

I recently purchased a Home Patrol scanner and would now like to try the Raw Data output.

Will Unitrunker now work with this? Also can I just plug the Raw data into a USB port and have it work. As I see it from where I sit Unitrunker will only work with a serial connection....or am I wrong?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph VE3EUK

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
UniTrunker | Home Patrol

Marshall KE4ZNR

I have been a loyal fan of Unitrunker since its beginning. I have many radios with a tapped discriminator and a BCD396XT which I also use to decode to Unitrunker.

I recently purchased a Home Patrol scanner and would now like to try the Raw Data output.

Will Unitrunker now work with this? Also can I just plug the Raw data into a USB port and have it work. As I see it from where I sit Unitrunker will only work with a serial connection....or am I wrong?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph VE3EUK

Status
Not open for further replies.