Home Patrol Sentinel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennin

I was just wondering does anyone know if the master data base updates for the Home Patrol have been discontinued ? My last update was in April. Since then, each time I attempt to update the database, it displays an error code indicating "response to long, update failed. " Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering does anyone know if the master data base updates for the Home Patrol have been discontinued ? My last update was in April. Since then, each time I attempt to update the database, it displays an error code indicating "response to long, update failed. " Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Weekly updates were delayed for a couple of weeks but are working now. Current Sentinel database date is 5/17/2020.

The time out message is usually related to something on your end. Are you using a satellite based ISP or something other than broadband (DSL, or community WiFi, etc??

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I updated mine a few days ago and just tried it again and it worked and told me I'm up to date. I think the problem is on your end.

RBMTS

Some people have reported similar problems as yours and they are usually related to using Hughes Internet or a cell phone tethered connection. I think that DSL service as also been mentioned. Additionally check and temporarily disable any internet firewall protection you might have. That software could be blocking a port.

brennin

Some people have reported similar problems as yours and they are usually related to using Hughes Internet or a cell phone tethered connection. I think that DSL service as also been mentioned. Additionally check and temporarily disable any internet firewall protection you might have. That software could be blocking a port.
Yes, I switched to Hughes Net about 3 weeks ago. Used to have Verizon landline, but their service was HORRIBLE. Can you offer any suggestions ? Thank you very much !

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I switched to Hughes Net about 3 weeks ago. Used to have Verizon landline, but their service was HORRIBLE. Can you offer any suggestions ? Thank you very much !

Haven't seen any sure fire cure for Hughes, it has to do with the latency inherent with their FTP transfers. Only thing you can do is take a laptop with Sentinel on it to somewhere you can log onto a better ISP.... such as a friend's WiFi, or a public WiFi, update the database there, and write it to your scanner when you get home.

Hughes has been a constant problem going back to the first release of the HP-1.

RBMTS

My only suggestion would be to put Sentinel on a notebook that has wifi. Go to a hotspot (Starbucks, McD's, etc), hop on their wireless and update the master database from there.

RBMTS

Also, just as an FYI, you only need an internet connection to update the master database or to upgrade the firmware of the scanner. You don't need to have internet to update the database on your scanner or to upload favorite lists.

You probably already know that but just wanted to clarify.

brennin

Haven't seen any sure fire cure for Hughes, it has to do with the latency inherent with their FTP transfers. Only thing you can do is take a laptop with Sentinel on it to somewhere you can log onto a better ISP.... such as a friend's WiFi, or a public WiFi, update the database there, and write it to your scanner when you get home.

Hughes has been a constant problem going back to the first release of the HP-1.
That's a great idea...i'll try that ! Thank you my friends !

brennin

Also, just as an FYI, you only need an internet connection to update the master database or to upgrade the firmware of the scanner. You don't need to have internet to update the database on your scanner or to upload favorite lists.

You probably already know that but just wanted to clarify.
Thank You !

Status
Not open for further replies.