home patrol stops working

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have a home patrol scanner that all of a sudden stopped working.

I generally use it in my shack with the AC, not battery power but we had big storms today and I wanted to listen to it on the balcony so I took it outside, used it for about an hour.

Put the batteries in, no go. Took them out, put them
When I came in I turned it off and threw the rechargeable batteries in my fast charger. I never charge the batteries in the radio.

Left the room, came back an hour later and decided to bring the scanner out again on the balcony. When I put the AC adapter on the scanner I didn't turn it on.

Put the batteries in, no go. Took the batteries out and put them back in again, no go.

Took batteries out, plugged the scanner in no go.

Used a different outlet, no charge. Took the memory card out, no go. Put it back in again, no luck.

Reset the scanner, no go.

Looked to see if the pin busted, nope.

Didn't hear anything loose in it.

My wife was a technician and can build and fix electronics, maybe something got fried?

I am in Canada, there has been mention of a company called Lecron (sp?) that fixes scanners.

If I have to send it out to be fixed do I use this place or send it to Uniden?

I had a mildly annoying experience with C/S at Uniden when the scanner was still under warranty.

The problem at that time was broken antennas and the car adapter.

I have never dropped it, I generally use it at home with AC power, the batteries are in it in case I wished to record.

Any advice is appreciated. I have other scanners but aside from the 396T I had before this one I love my Home Patrol. I have spent years recording UID's, I will be sore if it can't be fixed.

Sorry for the long post.

Eric

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Probable Cause SD Card

I had a simular problem. After awhile of frustration with in and out removal of batteries and SD card, I finally tried out of desperation to reprogram the SD card thru Sentinel. It worked, and has been running flawlessly since!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Took the sound card out last nite, it didnt change anything.

When I connect the scanner to the Sentinel, it doesnt start either, the Sentinel doesnt read the radio either.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Took the sound card out last nite, it didnt change anything.

Your sound card wouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

When I connect the scanner to the Sentinel, it doesnt start either, the Sentinel doesnt read the radio either.

Sentinel doesn't start automatically when you connect the scanner.

Nothing happens when you turn on the scanner? No light on the screen at all? No error message?

mciupa

Eric, it may be a AC power cord that has gone bad. I had to replace mine. The Souce will have a good replacement for around $20.

One other thing you can try is to use your 12V DC adaptor in your vehicle. I hope it starts that way, if not, it may need some surgery at Lectron.
Incidentally, I am also on my second DC adaptor. I'm not rough on my equipment, the original accessories just wore out after 4 years.

Hoping for the best for you.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Your sound card wouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

Sentinel doesn't start automatically when you connect the scanner.

Nothing happens when you turn on the scanner? No light on the screen at all? No error message?

Sorry, I mean the Memory card before.

I tried removing the memory card last night, it didnt work but today I was able to remove the memory card and then put it back in and I got it up and running.!

Thank you very much!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Eric, it may be a AC power cord that has gone bad. I had to replace mine. The Souce will have a good replacement for around $20.

One other thing you can try is to use your 12V DC adaptor in your vehicle. I hope it starts that way, if not, it may need some surgery at Lectron.
Incidentally, I am also on my second DC adaptor. I'm not rough on my equipment, the original accessories just wore out after 4 years.

Hoping for the best for you.

Hi Mike. As you can see in my previous post, I removed the memory card again and then turned it back on, re_connected it to the Sentinel and its working fine now.

I will however, get new batteries and it might be time to invest in a better charger. Its a 15 min charger, I dont think it is very good for the batteries I am using.

I had the same issue with the AC Adapter before, I am on my 3rd AC Adapter these days.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Is your home electrical house plug (ground) ok......just my 3 cents.......

I hope so, I live in an apartment. We do not have enough outlets for our needs and use extension cords. I cant alter or work on anything here.

We had a weather day here yesterday. A group of large thunderstorms stayed over the area here yesterday and dumped a great deal of rain (floods up to 3-7 inches of rain in some spots and a good deal of electrical activity). Our local hydro crews were very busy, our cable gave us issues all day, perhaps we had some surges?

I plugged the AC Adapter into an extention cord into a reliable surge protector. I will re-arrange and plug it directly into the device directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.