Home Patrol vs Gre-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbro298

Are there any noticeable difference in what these 2 units can pick up via digital vs conventional.How would they compare to a Gre-500.I like the concept of the Home Patrol and the 800 seems to be a updated 500.Any advise about these units would be a great help

N8IAA

Are there any noticeable difference in what these 2 units can pick up via digital vs conventional.How would they compare to a Gre-500.I like the concept of the Home Patrol and the 800 seems to be a updated 500.Any advise about these units would be a great help

The 800 is definitely not an upgrade to the 500. It is a digital version of the PSR-700. Big differences between the 800 and HP. HP can be connected to a GPS to change the frequencies and trunked systems as you travel mobile. If you want superior digital audio, the GRE scanners will be a better choice. Take a trip to the Uniden forum and read about the HP and some of its problems. As well as the 800's problems in this forum. The 500 is a proven performer. The 800 and HP are new kids on the block that do similar and different things.
HTH,
Larry

voxiso

i got the 800.. r days screen wa dead and no adio
sent it back... then they just sent a brand me mode... Ran it fou abour 2 months the SD card died my my screen is likedk on trunk modem nothing i did would fix it
o sent it off again an told them i wanted a complete refund.. get this they wanted to know if i would like a PSR-500 for my trubles... I tookd that deal.. but i was at it for 4 days stright so i cam out with a 500 which i like 20% better than trhe 800.. Till a radio can receive NXDN there will be nothing knew these these scanners coming.. Every one for the past years have beeen able to moniter P25 and countless others... mean while NXDN is talking over in mose states... Hell Kentucky alone will be 100% NXDN most has done switch or have the FCC approved in 90% of counties so far... KSP is non-trunked P25 just a few yrs old... now they are talking about a full NXDN to be able to able to all to local PDs that is 500 miles away,, and it being NXDN thay do want to hide... Thought we was fee to monitor all they do

NEXEDGE 0r NEXTEDGE from keenwood

if the goverment has nothing to hide then let the public here it all.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800 or HP1

I am new on here but have been listening to scanners for years. I am getting ready to buy a new receiver and am leaning to the PSR800 over the HP1. I really like the ability to carry the 800 in a pocket better. My questions are is the audio louder on the 800 than HP1, is it easy to just listen to one group such as a police district when monitering a large trunked system, and is the digital signal as good as the HP1. Your answers would be most appreciated as i am old and want a new toy i am happy with.

bs369

Home Patrol vs Gre=-800

I have both the HP-1 and a GRe600. The 600 has much better audio on Delaware's P25 digital system. In fact, I just sent the HP-1 back to Uniden as 25/30% of the audio is is distorted and unreadable....Other than that, if it can be fixed, I like the way the HP-1 is easy to use when traveling....
I would try it on your digital system and return it if you have the same problems I had.

SaintAadon

Premium Subscriber
I just got a HP-1 and took it on a trip. It worked very well. If you plan to travel much it is a nice unit. I also have a PSR-600, and it works perfect. I stream a channel for Radioreference with the PSR 600. I tried with the HP-1 and the audio is not even close. I still remember how well I liked the old Optocom back in the day. I tought with the the computer control software it looked like something out of Star Trek, however the HP-1 takes the prize now.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I am new on here but have been listening to scanners for years. I am getting ready to buy a new receiver and am leaning to the PSR800 over the HP1. I really like the ability to carry the 800 in a pocket better. My questions are is the audio louder on the 800 than HP1, is it easy to just listen to one group such as a police district when monitering a large trunked system, and is the digital signal as good as the HP1. Your answers would be most appreciated as i am old and want a new toy i am happy with.

The audio on the PSR 800 is awesome. The speaker packs a powerful punch and the digital audio sounds great. You can listen to just one group or a bunch of groups. It's all up to you. You have the entire RR library loaded right onto the SD card. No need to "avoid" what you don't want. You pick and choose exactly what you want and where you want it :cool:

troymail

Silent Key
I've tried both but prefer the PSR800 over the HP-1... of course, different people have different reasons for liking one over the other -- my feeling is that if you want a radio that layers some additional features and "fancy-ness" over the purpose of the radio - and that is to listen - then maybe you want an HP-1. But if you want to listen - then GRE is the radio you want.

Sure - the HP-1 will let you program using GPS or by entering a Zip Code - but from what I experienced during my HP-1 "test drive", this sounded better than it actually worked. For example, I entered central downtown Baltimore as a Zip Code and gave it a range of at or nearly 0 miles to limit the programming that was enabled. Even then, it included systems like Pennsylvania State Turnpike and systems in Northern Virginia! I also found that some "shared" channels like mutual aid fire, etc. were programmed against all systems verses common objects (GRE!) so when I locked a frequency out on a given system, it would pop up on the next system and I'd have to lock it out there too (kinda like "whack a mole").

With the PSR800, you pick what you want to hear and you can customize the programming too.

The audio is much better on the PSR800 and it's much more portable.

My BC396 is functioning as a pager at this point and my PSR500 is a backup to my PSR800.

You decide.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Nice Review

I've tried both but prefer the PSR800 over the HP-1... of course, different people have different reasons for liking one over the other -- my feeling is that if you want a radio that layers some additional features and "fancy-ness" over the purpose of the radio - and that is to listen - then maybe you want an HP-1. But if you want to listen - then GRE is the radio you want.

Sure - the HP-1 will let you program using GPS or by entering a Zip Code - but from what I experienced during my HP-1 "test drive", this sounded better than it actually worked. For example, I entered central downtown Baltimore as a Zip Code and gave it a range of at or nearly 0 miles to limit the programming that was enabled. Even then, it included systems like Pennsylvania State Turnpike and systems in Northern Virginia! I also found that some "shared" channels like mutual aid fire, etc. were programmed against all systems verses common objects (GRE!) so when I locked a frequency out on a given system, it would pop up on the next system and I'd have to lock it out there too (kinda like "whack a mole").

With the PSR800, you pick what you want to hear and you can customize the programming too.

The audio is much better on the PSR800 and it's much more portable.

My BC396 is functioning as a pager at this point and my PSR500 is a backup to my PSR800.

You decide.

I am sitting on the fence regarding these two radios; however, I am leaning toward GRE. I don't travel enough to warrant dealing with the HP-1 and the problems people have reported. I really enjoy my PSR 500. So, I think I will remain a loyal customer.

DWW

judas12

Get the 800. I just bought mine and its fantastic beautiful clear loud volume and the reception and digital sound is great.. I highly recommend it

msradell

Every one for the past years have beeen able to moniter P25 and countless others... mean while NXDN is talking over in mose states... Hell Kentucky alone will be 100% NXDN most has done switch or have the FCC approved in 90% of counties so far... KSP is non-trunked P25 just a few yrs old... now they are talking about a full NXDN to be able to able to all to local PDs that is 500 miles away,, and it being NXDN thay do want to hide..
NXDN is taking over in some of the rural areas because of cost but the big cities, Louisville, Lexington, Northern Kentucky are solidly P25. Also due to changes in Federal funding unless they already have a NXDN system, counties and other municipalities are no longer able to get Federal funding for them. They can only get it for P25 or analog narrowband systems. I'm quite sure KSP will not be changed their system especially in light of the economic conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.