Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

tughard1

Having problems with fm reception is there a different antenna that will improve my reception for a home patrol scanner ?

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Any type you like. It comes with a SMA Connector that you can hook up to Any antenna you have. There is a rubber duck antenna that comes in the box It is usless unless you are close to a strong repeater.

tughard1

the SMA connector is that the screw connection where the rubber duck antenna screws in ?

tughard1

Home patrol is there any way to program a primary control channel into home patrol ? this is a Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola .

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Home patrol is there any way to program a primary control channel into home patrol ? this is a Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola .
The TxWARN systems are well documented in the Home Patrol; both the analog, older system, and the newer TxWARN P25. I did see that the Fort Bend Simulcast site was updated today, If you need to make a change, addition, or other update between the weekly database updates, you can do that by editing your Favorites list in the Sentinel software.

For the antenna on my HP-1, I got an SMA to BNC adapter (see item 0292 on this page). For in-home use, I use a 90-degree BNC adapter, with one of the Radio Shack 800Mhz antennas. For longer distance (at home), I have a couple of rooftop antennas. Mobile, I use either a mag mount antenna, or one of these if I'm going to be out in a rural area where Vhf-high predominates, as it still does in the areas west and south of DFW.

This antenna is a telescoping one, with markings to indicate how far it should be extended, depending on the frequency you're interested in. It also has a swivel base, and comes in an SMA version, so that it could be attached directly to the side of the HP-1, yet have the antenna still extend vertically.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Could it be that i am out of range ? It was updated about 3 days ago
Which of the two systems are you trying to receive?

And which city are you in? (If not in a city or town, how about a rough idea of your location?)

I would definitely suggest a better antenna, such as the Radio Shack 800Mhz I mentioned above. That made all the difference in the world for my HP-1. I went from mostly getting the closer 800Mhz trunked systems here in the Dallas area to picking up some farther away, including one that neither my 396XT nor my PSR-500 will get with any consistency. That last one is the TxWARN P25 700Mhz site in Kaufman.

the SMA connector is that the screw connection where the rubber duck antenna screws in ?
Yes, that is the screw-in connection for the antenna, on the side of the scanner.

You would need the SMA to BNC adapter to use that antenna, and I use the 90 degree elbow adapter so that antenna is vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.