Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Well, It's time to pull the trigger on this thing and jump into the digital/trunking/software age... ;)

So, speaking of software, what is the general(if that's possible)consensus on which is "best" for the home patrol 1?

I know this has probably been covered and I should probably apologize for bringing it back up but a "fresh, new" take would be appreciated.

Again, I will be new to this techno-genre but have been old school for many, many years. So a basic software guide is probably going to be my speed.

The basic question at this point would be, should I order the ARC along with the unit now or find/use one of the free ones I'm hearing about?

As always, any and all thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Nope - it does everything. Favorites lists, scanner configuration, review of discovery logs and activity logs, etc.

AuntEnvy

Sorry

Just in case there was any confusion... or perhaps I'm the one who is confused...

I'm inquiring about the database/"extra" programming type software. The product descriptions say you should use one of these and I see a lot of people talking about them for ease-of-use type functionality.

AuntEnvy

If that's the case

Then why is there so much emphasis put upon these software additions/inclusions to use the unit?

I know about the extreme update for advanced users etc but it seems as though I'm being lead to believe we need additional software just to get a little more operation out of it...?

OCO

Well, It's time to pull the trigger on this thing and jump into the digital/trunking/software age... ;)

So, speaking of software, what is the general(if that's possible)consensus on which is "best" for the home patrol 1?

I know this has probably been covered and I should probably apologize for bringing it back up but a "fresh, new" take would be appreciated.

Again, I will be new to this techno-genre but have been old school for many, many years. So a basic software guide is probably going to be my speed.

The basic question at this point would be, should I order the ARC along with the unit now or find/use one of the free ones I'm hearing about?

As always, any and all thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated

1 - You'll need the supplied software (Sentinel) for all of the basic functions - like updating the HPDB and firmware on the radio.. Since the firmware and Sentinel upgrade in August, I have used Sentinel exclusively, even though I bought ARCPatrol when I first got the HP1. I find that for my needs, I can create and edit Favorites just as well in Sentinel. I would try to get thoroughly familiar with Sentinel before trying anything else.

2 - There was a free program (PowerPatrol) , but it was not upgraded to support the HP1 when the new firmware was released.

3 - You didn't ask, but I would hold off on getting the Extreme upgrade ($100.00) until you are really comfortable with the many, many features of the HomePatrol and determine whether you need the extended technical capabilities. I purchased the Extreme upgrade when it was at the pre-release price, but I might hesitate now (buying at the same time as first getting the HP1)..

I just helped a friend get one set up - he's extremely happy, especially the out-of-box to scanning his local area time of about 5 minutes...

OCO

Then why is there so much emphasis put upon these software additions/inclusions to use the unit?

I know about the extreme update for advanced users etc but it seems as though I'm being lead to believe we need additional software just to get a little more operation out of it...?

I guess because they're trying to sell something......

I agree totally with Jay... As a matter of fact there have been some strange issues (empty Favorites, missing files) that have been appearing for folks using third party software along with Sentinel.. This could have been just user unfamiliarity with file locations, but I don't see the need for the extra complexity at this point..

AuntEnvy

old ops

Thank you and no I don't think I'll ever be needing the extreme. I saw what it's capable of and it seems way too advanced for me, even though I'd love to have it! ;)

So did I read the HP1 description wrong? I've read it many times while trying to make this decision and I'm certain it's trying to tell me that additional software is necessary to run it properly. I guess that's my only real question at this point.

AuntEnvy

Thank you UPMan

Well that should settle it then if it came from you. ;)

As for updating or new firmware etc, can I assume the sentinel will provide this service automatically or are there additional steps/fees for that?

OCO

Thank you and no I don't think I'll ever be needing the extreme. I saw what it's capable of and it seems way too advanced for me, even though I'd love to have it! ;)

So did I read the HP1 description wrong? I've read it many times while trying to make this decision and I'm certain it's trying to tell me that additional software is necessary to run it properly. I guess that's my only real question at this point.

I wouldn't say "ever" - you may well want it in six months. BTW - note that unless you pay your vendor to do the configuration of the HP1, you will do some updating when you first get it - not necessary to get it running, but to bring the firmware and software to current level after you've got that first "taste". You'll want a decent (above dialup) 'net connection, my friend's connection was a DSL at about T1 speed and didn't take too long...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Firmware and database updates are handled through Sentinel.

Sentinel updates are announced as widely as I can (here, Yahoo! Group, forums at HomePatrol.com) but must be manually d/l and installed.

AuntEnvy

Ever...

Quite right. I thought that soon as I wrote it. ;)

It's more a matter of time allowing to use it but certainly this computer tie-in business will be a bit of a challenge for a while.

As for the set-up, I certainly will be able to do it with Sentinel when I get it correct?

rwier

1 - ................................... Since the firmware and Sentinel upgrade in August, I have used Sentinel exclusively, even though I bought ARCPatrol when I first got the HP1. ............................................

Same here. There was a reason to get ARCPatrol early on (maybe still if you don't get the big E), but after the upgrades (free and pay), Sentinel does it all.

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
True, early Sentinal was limited...I did buy ARC Patrol early on and it did a great job. Not much I do would requires anything beyond the "new Sentinal".

Status
Not open for further replies.