Home patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefComp

Ok please don't make fun of me. I have been using scanners since 1970. Crystals were so easy. I am putting together an unmarked car for a small agency that I work with. I want to add a scanner with an external antenna. I have limited space due to 2 Motorola radio heads. I have nothing but headaches attempting to program my bcd396t (I think that's my portable number). I am considering purchasing a home patrol. Does anyone have any experience with it mounted in a vehicle with external antenna? Does the dc cable work ok? Thanks

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The Home Patrol works well mobile, especially if you tie an outboard GPS unit to it. The DC power cable is fine; however, I have never used it with an external antenna. Typically my mobile use of the HP-1 is in GPS mode and really I am only listening to those signals that "open up" based on my location, so in fact the rubber duck that comes with the radio has served me well enough in that mode (in other words my location range was set at zero). I am sure that, providing the antenna and feed are adequate, the radio will perform just fine with an external antenna. The one thing I might mention is that mounting location is important so that the screen display does not contribute to driver distraction and glare can also be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.