Home theater/sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

Well after many years my home stereo system failed. I have purchased a new one on amazon, don’t need all the bells and whistles:
32C44024-12F0-41FF-92E0-078CCC5C52BA.jpeg
5A397A7C-ED8C-44B7-B41A-9F5C09079761.jpeg
After some research I have figured out that my sub is a passive model and this new receiver doesn’t seem to be compatible with passive subs.

Will those items get me where I need to be?

F3C947B2-7092-4B4C-9725-77E542C92F11.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:

bharvey2

I don't know the details on your Amazon amp so I can't tell if you have the proper cable for your Onkyo to Aoshike connection. Also some of the new digital amps don't allow you to share a ground between the left and right channels. Subs can be wired a few different ways so you may want to confirm this with your existing subwoofer. Caveats aside, It looks like this'll get you up and running.

bharvey2

I think I found the Amazon link to the amp you have listed above. I'm a bit confused though. The photos of the amp/circuit board show one pair of screw type terminals (two conductors total) to drive one single channel subwoofer. However, the description states 50W per channel which implies that there are two channels.

bharvey2

Well, all the photos suggest that the subwoofer in a mono channel. If that's the case I think you're on you way. Good luck.

prcguy

I see you chose a 100w amplifier, which will draw more than 100w of power from the power supply but you got a power supply that only puts out 60w. I suspect under these conditions you will get about 40w of actual power to the subwoofer.

Subwoofs usually need a lot of power and even 100w is on the very light side. The other channels are rated around 135w per channel, so you probably need to upsize the amp and power supply a bunch for the subwoofer. What make and model is your subwoofer? The amp you chose has an adjustable cross over point for the subwoofer and other speakers. This should be adjusted carefully as most people have the sub crossing over too high in frequency and most subs will make the system sound muddy if crossed over above about 80Hz. I would start the cross over freq in the 40-50Hz range and work up slowly until you detect some muddiness, then back the cross over freq down some where it sounds clean and punchy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.