Homebrew sleeve dipole questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone, i'm new here after getting back into scanning/radio stuff so picked up a simple yupiteru mvt 3300eu to break me in gently. Been looking for a good forum to join, this one looks rather busy.

My questions involve a homebrew sleeve dipole antenna which i have been toiling with this afternoon, in case no one knows what i mean it's simply an antenna made out of tv coax mounted inside some pvc tubing. However, i'v been hitting some snags. I'm a complete newbie to this as i'v forgotten all the stuff i knew from the old cb days.

Basically the antenna is made, tuned to 130mhz ish, it's attached to my scanner via bnc, however, the signal is no better than the supplied rubber duckie, except, when i was sorting out something and it was flat on the concrete and just happened to be touching the clothes pole.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas? I used tv coax just because it was handy.

Apologies for long intro post.

Ah, that is it! Thank you, i'll have a read at that and see where i went wrong. Today i'm going to try and make those wire j-pole things out of a tv balun and old extendable fm radio antenna that i saw a large topic on this forum. Look easy and i think i have all that's needed, just having a bit of bother with these damn bnc connectors.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.