• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Homebrew XTL rear prog cable?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a quick tutorial for homebrewing an XTL 5k rear USB programming cable from an accessory cable? I rolled my own XPR rear mobile prog cable with 0 issues a few years ago.

I know there are USB+/- pins on the rear connector. I would just like confirmation and where to source the additional pins needed. I just know I don't have to spend the $170 street price for one.

Wiscomm sells a kit for the XPR series kit with naked pins (which is how I built mine for 5 bux), but I cant find something similar for the XTL rear.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thank you sir! Exactly what I needed.

Making such a USB programming cable is really easy, I made one for my XTL2500s. I just bought a used accessory plug off eBay ($10), and the connector pins from my local Moto shop. I used one of the many USB A to B cables I had lying around; cut off the B end, strip and tin the wires, and put on the crimp pins.

The most expensive single cost was the connector pins, 25 of them for about $30. On the other side of the coin, I only needed four of them (USB data + and data -, USB V+ and V-), the rest got saved for other projects, so my total cost was actually around $14.80 for the programming cable.